Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sell this FileMaker developer on A5 :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sell this FileMaker developer on A5 :)

Experience with VB is a bit helpful.

You can make a pretty good application without programming in alpha by following the guides. You can go a lot further with some xbasic to go along with that.

I am not sure about the speed with desktop and sql that some have spoke of. I played with it and saw no speed problems. Maybe if I had stayed with it and had larger table of data, it would have shown it's head. It would seem that if we used the tools for sql(instead of alpha) where possible, most of that would get better.
    I am sure that alpha will address the issue, and are probably already working on it.

There is a learning curve with any new program. I am sure you have thought of that and are willing to make that commitment and have decided to move on from FM to something.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

SOLD!

Thanks to all for your replies!

Took the plunge and bought the A5 Bundle today! Would like to address some of the replies, but I am too busy working through the fantastic video tutorials by Steve Workings

Using the sample Web Contact List app, I am able to print the reports from my iPad 2!!! Try THAT with FMP and IWP!
      Cheers!
      Lyle Chamney
      http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
      Websites rebuilt with WordPress
      http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
      Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
      http://snifflevalve.com
      WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by 2ninerniner2 View Post
        SOLD!

Thanks to all for your replies!

Took the plunge and bought the A5 Bundle today! Would like to address some of the replies, but I am too busy working through the fantastic video tutorials by Steve Workings

Using the sample Web Contact List app, I am able to print the reports from my iPad 2!!! Try THAT with FMP and IWP!
        Welcome to the "Rabbit Hole." I know what you'll be doing all weekend! Steve Workings videos are good. You should check out his recorded webinars!
        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

OK. I'll bite. where do I find Steve Workings "recorded webinars"?

bob
          Bob Alston
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
          Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Originally posted by bobalston View Post
            OK. I'll bite. where do I find Steve Workings "recorded webinars"?

bob
            Hi Bob;

I know they come with the subscription plan, but they also must be available from Alpha.... X-basic 101, and Advanced Desktop were both recorded Feb. 2011. Both are invaluable in terms of learning. (James Talbott and Steve Workings were the two instructors.) IMHO, they are 10x the coverage of the Total Training videos.... Many tricks & how to's in both. The X-basic 101 video really sheds light on how things can be accomplished.... Warning though, there are numerous videos, each 3 hours long. When watching, I selected the WMF format, as you can easily play them at 1.4x speed....... The files you are looking for are AdvDesk.zip & Xbasic101.zip. (AdvDesk is ~.8gigs, and Xbasic101 is about 1/2gig.)

The videos were made with version 10.x, but are still essentially 100% relevant for v.11.....

~I suppose you could also contact Steve regarding their availability, as he is active on this board.
            Last edited by SNusa; 04-14-2012, 08:00 PM.
            It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
            RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Niles Bangladesh hit it on the nail. Been working with A5 [and a4] since 2004 - dos style -
              A5 Desktop is more powerful in my view - particularly because of the power behind xBasic. Web App is much more convenient [indeed powerfull too].

Integration with mySQL seamless, intuitive and very easy!

I have worked with almost all aspects of A5 and have also worked with Filemaker previously. Advantage of Filemaker [only 1] in my view is ability to develop cross platform apps [desktop], i.e. Wins and Mac. Of course Web App cuts across OS.

Learning curve is indeed quite steep, but the level of support is unparallelled, e.g. this forum, webinars, videos, etc.

I used to be 'intimidated' by fact that A5 was marketed as 'programming software for non programmers' and as an experienced programmer thought this was not for me. But after so many years i havent found [and i have looked] any programme to match A5 [and Im not paid to market] :-)

Enjoy learning curve, its worth the effort.
              -MbusoNgcongo
              INFOMAS (Information Systems)
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Mbuso View Post
                Niles Bangladesh hit it on the nail. Been working with A5 [and a4] since 2004 - dos style -
                A5 Desktop is more powerful in my view - particularly because of the power behind xBasic. Web App is much more convenient [indeed powerfull too].

Integration with mySQL seamless, intuitive and very easy!

I have worked with almost all aspects of A5 and have also worked with Filemaker previously. Advantage of Filemaker [only 1] in my view is ability to develop cross platform apps [desktop], i.e. Wins and Mac. Of course Web App cuts across OS.

Learning curve is indeed quite steep, but the level of support is unparallelled, e.g. this forum, webinars, videos, etc.

I used to be 'intimidated' by fact that A5 was marketed as 'programming software for non programmers' and as an experienced programmer thought this was not for me. But after so many years i havent found [and i have looked] any programme to match A5 [and Im not paid to market] :-)

Enjoy learning curve, its worth the effort.
                Well said.

I still don't know why Alpha hasn't created virtualization web/server integration [like what Citrix offers]...

Imagine developing an application (desktop) ...
                Place it on the server...
                "Plug it in" to the a5 web server...
                Have the web server render the application in a standard web browser...

Desktop application instantly becomes a web application for small offices etc.....
                (And advanced desktop users instantly have the ability to provide a full web solution for a "small group of users", not just a lan solution.)

Who knows....
                Maybe this is in the works?
                Once Alpha migrates to IIS, they could build a "Desktop IIS Plugin" that renders the a5 desktop output in a web page served by IIS...

Or how about keeping the a5 web server alive (once they migrate features to IIS), and turn it into a "Desktop over Web" server?

Comment

Lyle, you being new to Alpha, go right to web development skip the desktop. I believe Alpha has a 2 or 3 user version which is cost effective to learn on. Then deploy to the internet or intranet. Intranet is much cleaner than Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Beilfus View Post
                    Lyle, you being new to Alpha, go right to web development skip the desktop. I believe Alpha has a 2 or 3 user version which is cost effective to learn on. Then
                    deploy to the internet or intranet. Intranet is much cleaner than Desktop.
                    @SNusa ... a quick pop up from "the rabbit hole"

Thanks, Bob ... that is exactly what I did This is PRECISELY this type of development I want to be doing these days. My current and potential clients not only prefer, but are now insisting upon web-only deployment. From what I have learned and accomplished in rather short order, I will now be able to easily and quickly deliver a solution that we can both be proud of.

... OK, back down the rabbit hole to finish off the rest of Steve Workings' awesome Total Training videos and carry on with the conversion of a FileMaker app (well underway too)
                    Cheers!
                    Lyle Chamney

Comment

Originally posted by Beilfus View Post
                      Lyle, you being new to Alpha, go right to web development skip the desktop. I believe Alpha has a 2 or 3 user version which is cost effective to learn on. Then deploy to the internet or intranet. Intranet is much cleaner than Desktop.
                      Really, 2 or 3 user version, where did you see that offering? Much cleaner?
                      (Your experience with a5 is obviously very different than mine.)
                      Last edited by SNusa; 04-17-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

There was/is a 3 user WAS offer Rob, and also a cut down Desktop version without WAS and Grids.

Lyle, I really wouldn't recommend skipping the desktop.
                        If you want to learn the whole Alpha process including the fun of linking to SQL and Access as well as other ODBCcompliant systems, I suggest that your learning curve will be less traumatic if you have the whole toolkit.
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                          There was/is a 3 user WAS offer Rob, and also a cut down Desktop version without WAS and Grids.
                          They must have this buried, as I can't find it anywhere online. I do have a link to the web only version, but without the link I don't think I'd ever be able to find it...... These must be "products they have but don't want you to know about."

I don't see any "limited" options in the US online store: http://server2.alphasoftware.com/shop/
                          (Checked the UK online shop, and don't see all the options there either.)

My big question is: How does one sell extra (unused / un-needed) licenses of v.11, v.11 web server, and v.11 run-times?
                          (Sales guy on subscription renewal suggested I sell my extra versions to help offset the high subscription renewal price.)
                          Last edited by SNusa; 04-18-2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Well I don't have any experience of the WAS licences but with Runtime, I believe you are expected to get the price back by selling your application.
                            If you are not developing for a "market" and doing so for your own amusement/business, you can get away with the Dev version on 2 PC's - but only 2 unless the names are the same which will cause grief on a network.
                            The R/t is so you can deploy to a whole company.
                            Don't see how you could sell the R/t to anyone else.
                            How many "Instance" Licenses do you get for a WAS subscription Rob? Is it unlimited?
                            See our Hybrid Option here;
                            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Howdy everyone!

A quick pop up from "the rabbit hole" :)

My very first Alpha Five v11 test web app is "alive and well" on ZebraHost as of late last night and I couldn't be more excited! :)

I am now able to do in a web browser with Alpha Five v11 Web what I could never do in those browsers using FileMaker (FM) and Instant Web Publishing (IWP):

- view AND print a "proper" multi-page report! i.e., NOT a browser screen dump

- upload and save photos/graphics the "proper" way! i.e., a reference to the file which is now stored on the server and NOT in the database. Goodbye Super Container and their 695.00 licence PER "company" !

Note: thanks A BUNCH to Clipper87's screencast for this last one! :) As Steve Workings mentioned often in his awesome training videos, I was trying too hard! :)

- "silky-smooth" operation thanks to AJAX … no more clunky screen refreshes! :)

Plus, it looks great … thanks to the tabbed UI and is secure using the built-in security features.

I have tested this app now in various browsers on Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.7.3, iOS 5.1 and whatever a BB Playbook uses (I don't' own one, my buddy tried it) and I can do the above-noted functions from them all, with the exception of the iOS devices. Can't upload from them as they have no real "file system" (there may be a cure for this, but for now, it's not an issue … I can still print from them! :) Buddy with the BB was impressed with the fact that he could snap a shot with his PB and upload it to the database, then print it out in a report! :)

Having done so since '81, going forward I have no intention nor desire to develop for the desktop. As I read somewhere, "the desktop is dead"! :) While this may be a contentious statement, it is precisely this shift that lead me to search out and find a solution such as A5W. My primary issue is deployment, and now with this method, it could not be easier. Also, the size and scope of my solutions lend themselves perfectly to this method.

There will no doubt be bumps and hiccups along the way, but for now, I am truly impressed with what I have been able to accomplish in relatively short order using a brand-new-to-me development platform. Speaks volumes for Alpha Software and the support resources such as this board :)

OK … fresh pot of coffee on … back down the rabbit hole! :)

Cheers!
                              Lyle

PS> The test app I have now is "branded" for a client, so when I have an "unbranded" version up, I'll post a link for your consideration :)
                              Cheers!
                              Lyle Chamney

Comment

We all knew you could do it. Well done.

Lets see the unbranded version so we can pour more praise upon you, before you pop back down your rabbit hole!!!.
                                Regards
                                Keith Hubert
                                Alpha Guild Member
                                London.
                                KHDB Management Systems
                                Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                                X