Alpha Video Training

Thread: How do I put a table on a report - Finding the report writer very frustrating

Real Name
    Chris Turnbull

Default How do I put a table on a report - Finding the report writer very frustrating

Hi,

I am trying to put a freeform report together and I want to use tables on that report but I cannot workout how to use that feature. Are there any videos that I can use to help me as I have been unable to find any.

Thanks

Chris

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Re: How do I put a table on a report - Finding the report writer very frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbullca View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to put a freeform report together and I want to use tables on that report but I cannot workout how to use that feature. Are there any videos that I can use to help me as I have been unable to find any.

Thanks Chris
    Hi Chris,

Please explain what you mean by 'freeform report. Where are you trying to do this?

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Real Name
    Chris Turnbull

Default Re: How do I put a table on a report - Finding the report writer very frustrating

Hi ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I am putting the report together in the report writer.

The attached is what I want to do.

I have already linked the SQL View to the report.

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbullca View Post
    Hi ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I am putting the report together in the report writer.

The attached is what I want to do.

I have already linked the SQL View to the report.

Chris
    By the report writer, you mean in the Desktop, not the web part, correct? Please explain what it is you are doing. I see you're hooked up to SQL tables but that doesn't give me any clues as to what you mean by, "I want to use tables on that report but I cannot workout how to use that feature".

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Real Name
    Chris Turnbull

It is in the desktop report writer and I want to create a table layout as in the attached pdf and then populate that with data from the database. This really is something that should be fairly easy and straightforward in this day and age.

I will then run the report from a grid.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Chris, I think your use of the term "table layout" is confusing to readers. You're really showing field values from a record in your table, right?

I haven't worked with the freeform feature yet myself. Not sure how its different from the conventional "banded" report layout editor.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Tom, the free form report is what we are used to from previous versions. In contrast to the new Layout Table report
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

Its a totally different animal I am pretty good with reports but I have no clue on how to use this new one was hoping for a couple of videos from someone who had success.
    Chad Brown

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Chad,

The only way to create a layout table report currently is to first create a quick report, open it in design mode, and then click Open in Report Editor on the toolbar. at that point select the option for a layout table report.

Hopefully Alpha will release a feature pack that allows converting a conventional report to layout table. There currently is no way to create a layout table report from scratch.

Bill.