Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Reports can be based on sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reports can be based on sets?

What i have read and viewed is that reports can be based on sets, why is it that I am getting weird results as to what i viewed and read on the alpha five Wiki?
    first I created a set based on customer and their invoices and payments, nothing is coming out of the report when i preview it, then I created a set based on two tables, the customer table and their payments table joined by a custid field with the same char length, I only have 3 payments recorded on the payments table by 3 customers, when i preview the report alllllll of the customer names appeared whether they have payments or not, what i expect is that only 3 customer names will appear as there are only 3 payments made, I have attached the output.Please explain and what will i do so that i will get the desired result? Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: Reports can be based on sets?

why is it that I am getting weird results as to what i viewed and read on the alpha five Wiki?
    Why is it that your question sounds like you have been given wrong information?

Have you thought about using a filter in your report?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Jet
      Do you really think anyone can analyse what you've done by displaying your undesired output?
      You probably should start with a sample invoice report say from AlphaSports example, or else SEND A SAMPLE.

Which is to be believed, your results or what you've read in the Wiki?
      must be the Wiki is wrong.

Comment

To Keith and Ray, Please don't misunderstand my post, Of course I know that the Wiki is right and Alpha Five is a great software for producing the right reports, I am just wondering why I get the attached report, I again encountered another one, It is just a table of customer, invoice, payments, I created a set in which the customer is the main table and created one to many links on the other two tables invoice and payments, When i put fields on the report and preview , nothing is displayed.

Comment

Jet
          You are repeating yourself. Yes it should work, and it does, for everyone else. Not for you.

What do you want anyone to do to help WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM YOU to show what you are doing wrong?

Comment

Jetson,

What you don't seem to understand is that, you are not telling us anything about how your set is constructed or how you are calling the report and with what criteria.

What has not been developed yet, is a computer that will do what you are thinking. It will only do what it is told. If you are not getting the result you wanted then you know where there problem is.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

JetLi;

I think you're struggling primarily because you "dug in too deep too fast." (I've been there, and done that too.)

The thing is: IMHO, to use Alpha effectively, you can't just begin at one end (with little more than determination) and expect to "get there" (build a quality application) by merely struggling through trial and error. Regardless of what Alpha marketing may lead you to believe, a5 has become a very robust/powerful and therefore a fairly complicated development environment!... For this very reason alone, you have to learn how to walk, before you can learn how to fly.... Doing so, definitely takes a considerable amount of time and investment....

I'm at the stage where I still need to implement "trial and error" at times. (frequently actually) But I'm confident that I have the "core a5 foundation" (desktop) and am also (finally) becoming semi-seasoned at writing X-basic. (For this level of proficiency I had to resolve to spending a considerable amount of time watching webinars (& taking notes) while I implemented concepts by adding example code to Alpha Sports layouts for my own reference.) ~ Years ago, I initially tried to just "jump right into the promised land of RAD wizardry." But I quickly learned it was going to take (me) a lot more than pure determination. So in a matter of speaking, "I went back to school."

A FRIENDLY WARNING: Looking back at things I did with a5 (before the commitment to learning) leaves me with either one of these thoughts:

• "Wow, I can't believe that actually worked."
              • "I know it works, but I didn't do it the way it should have been done."
              • "I Wish I knew why that actually works, because it really shouldn't!"

To work within a5, you have to "understand & think like a5 thinks." That's 1/2 the battle.....

With regards to: "always showing header record, even when child doesn't exist:"
              Maybe either an extraction table, or how about using Mapped sets....??

Snap 2012-04-06 at 08.47.52.png
              Last edited by SNusa; 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM.
              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

To Keith and Ray, please don't misundesrtand my post, Of course I know that I am the one who cannot accomplish things, I'm not saying that alpha five cannot produce what I'm thinking, it's just that I am doing things that are suppose to be simple but i cannot come up with the desired output, meaning, and i am sure that I have a very little brain, that's why I am always asking for help after trying so hard. And Keith, since I am the problem,Please don't give a negative meaning , or judge someone outright, people are not created equal when it comes to intellect, and it so happened that you are soooo bright and I'm sooooooooo dumb, people have different levels of intellect, there are morons which I belong to and geniuses where you belong.I hope you will be patient enough. Anyway, i have attached something that I'm trying to accomplish, hope you can help me on this, On the attached image, instead of producing the report for account, debit and credit, I want to produce a report for Customer, customerInvoices and customerPayments. Thank you so much Keith and Ray for trying to help me, I do appreciate it, Please try helping others, instead of me so that you won't get intimidated.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JetLi; 04-06-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
                  With regards to "always showing header record, even when child doesn't exist:"

Maybe either an extraction table, or how about using Mapped sets....??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31628[/ATTACH]
                  Thank you so much Robert, I appreciate so much your help, instead of questioning my little knowledge you tried to understand a newbie's point of view, well that maybe what i am looking for, although I am still trying link reports and sub-reports to accomplish a report of customers with their invoices and their payments, I notice that you are still new but have been trying to patiently help new alpha five users. I really appreciate the way you replied, and went on to search your other posts, and I noticed that you didn't care of the questions asked, instead you replied with how you understand with what you know. You will soon be like Stan Mathews and Tom Cone Jr., Look at their replies, quality help. I was about to quit alpha five but with the quality help that Stan gave, I was impressed with how he shares his knowledge, that i decided to continue learning alpha five.
                  Last edited by JetLi; 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Jetson

When I want to see only those customers with payments, I make a set with the primary table as payments and link one to one to customers.

If I want to see all customers whether or not there is a payment I start with Customers and link on to many with payments.

Overhead of a set is minimal and the data is not duplicated. A set only relates tables to other tables.

With the copy to option of objects, I can copy a report based on one set to another set and make minor modifications.
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD
                    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Wow! Thank you Al, What if I will include Invoices, will I also make another set with Invoices as primary and the customer as child? how will I combine the two so that in one report, customers will be displayed together with payments and their invoices? Tell you what Al, People are turning to alpha five because of the help that they get from this board. I have never encountered this kind of help. And you are among those who is helping Alpha Software company get more and more customers.Cheers!

Edit:
                      The image on Post#8 that I saw in the ALpha Wiki was my basis, it's very easy right make a table called account and relate two child tables with one to many links, I used that as a sample, i created such tables and related them in a set, but I could not get the desired result on that image,
                      With that, I again created another database with brand new 3 tables , it's now customers, invoices and payments, but I cant produce the report again.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by JetLi; 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Jetson;

I'm "fuzzy" (not so confident) about ever being on par with Stan Mathews and Tom Cone Jr. (and the likes), but thanks for the compliment! One thing is for sure though: A5 most certainly is a "deep rabbit hole." ~For many years I kept contemplating/thinking:

"Why didn't I just take the blue pill?"

In case you're curious, one reason I involve myself here in the forum is because: The forum "makes me think" and sometimes, by (trying) answering questions I even provide myself with additional insight too! ~IMHO, the forum is a great way to "evolve."
                        Last edited by SNusa; 04-06-2012, 10:00 AM.
                        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Take a look at the wiki entry for sub reports.
                          A sub-report is an entire report that is placed in the Detail area of another report. Its main purpose is to display data from tables linked in a set using one-to-many links at the same level.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Jetson

You can build a set with customer one to many with invoice and another one to many with payments.

The payments might be linked by customer_id and then you'll have all payments for the customer.

Or you might have payments link from invoice one to many with invoice_id (if it's a field in the payments record) and then you'll see all payments per invoice.

Design your concepts using the idea of note cards for each record and think about how you would organize and link them together...
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD
                            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I have attached a database in post #11, please see why it doesn't display any record.

Comment

Working...
                              X