Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Reports can be based on sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reports can be based on sets?

Looks fine to me.preview.gif
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Jetson,

You are not so dumb as you think you are trying to make out. The fact that you are learning to work with Alpha shows how smart you really are.

First with the sample you posted, the set you created does not match the set in your message #8. The report you have built works very well they way it is built. Please give us a diagram of what you want on the report. For example, if you look at the Alphasports invoice you will see there is a Group. This then groups all items for that Invoice Number. You say that you want to see invoices for each customer, then perhaps you should have a group with the break on Customer_Id. See attached screen shot, is this what you want?

Filter in detail section to only show Invoices and payments ----Invoices->Amount>0.or.Payments->Amount_Paid>0

Note: Customer #1 is not on the report as they do not have any Invoices. Also this report can presented in a hundred different ways. eg each customer can have a separation line. You can display sub totals for Invoices and payments for each customer. You can have a page header instead of a report header. etc etc.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Keith Hubert; 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Here's your sample back with a report grouped on customer with sub reports on invoices and payments.
        Attached Files
        There can be only one.

Comment

Along with Stan's example of sub-reports (which are needed for sets with multiple one to many links)

I always build a browse based on the set and look at the data - just like the report writer does.

It helps me to make sense of the set structure and why sub-reports are needed...

Makes the whole data manipulation more concrete than abstract.

browseMultiOne2Many.PNG

The sub-reports eliminate the 'blank' fields of a table in the one 2 many relationship
          Last edited by Al Buchholz; 04-06-2012, 01:56 PM.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thank you Keith, Stan and Al, that's what my problem is, I don't know why it is not working for me, for the fact that I created that report myself, i cant preview that on my own, when i click the preview button, nothing happens. with the sample that i sent, it was the first thing that i did after reading the wiki, and watched some videos, so, i thought what id did is not working then i created some other alternatives, that's why maybe i did the wrong thing that's why i have produced and come up with all the images above prior to the sample app that i sent,If the sample that I sent is working then i really did the right thing, I hope you now understand why I posted this thread, asking if reports work based on sets because I thought being a beginner,it can't be. Could this be a virus that my anti virus could not detect? I will try to have a clean install today, format my hard drive and install alpha five again and try the database that Stan did.

Comment

You do not have a virus!!!
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

jetli - as someone who has learned Alpha over the past two years, a bit of advice. It seems to me you are trying to run before you can walk. Throwing code together in the hope that you can make it work, even with advice from people on this board, is not the way to do this. If you don't want to do any of the basic training, I can only echo what other people have said. Forget your own application. Go to alphasports and develop new forms and reports, even add new tables. Learn how it all fits together. When you feel comfortable you actually understand this stuff, then go back to the application you want to develop. Do some basic design, build a few tables and sets, a few forms and reports, and go from there. My honest feeling is if you don't do this, you will never build a reliable application.

Comment

Hi Nick, thank you for the advice, I hope you read my last post, Something strange happened, i was able to post an example that it is not working on my computer, but it is working on others, strange right?
                  Quoting you "jetli - as someone who has learned Alpha over the past two years, a bit of advice. It seems to me you are trying to run before you can walk. Throwing code together in the hope that you can make it work, even with advice from people on this board, is not the way to do this. If you don't want to do any of the basic training, I can only echo what other people have said. Forget your own application. Go to alphasports and develop new forms and reports, even add new tables. Learn how it all fits together. When you feel comfortable you actually understand this stuff, then go back to the application you want to develop. Do some basic design, build a few tables and sets, a few forms and reports, and go from there. My honest feeling is if you don't do this, you will never build a reliable application. "

Tell you what nick, just a little advice from me not related to Alpha five because when it comes to alpha five you know Everything,If you see post like these from beginners, if you can't provide any help, YOU just read them, I know you are more experienced than Stan Mathews, Look at what he did, Instead of saying to me, "walk before you run", he replied with a quality help. Well, I Understand your sentiments.

Comment

Originally posted by JetLi View Post
                    ....Tell you what nick, just a little advice from me not related to Alpha five because when it comes to alpha five you know Everything,If you see post like these from beginners, if you can't provide any help, YOU just read them, I know you are more experienced than Stan Mathews, Look at what he did, Instead of saying to me, "walk before you run", he replied with a quality help. Well, I Understand your sentiments.
                    Jetson, I am afraid Nick did give some sound advice, so I'll repeat it:
                    ....Go to alphasports and develop new forms and reports, even add new tables. Learn how it all fits together. When you feel comfortable you actually understand this stuff, then go back to the application you want to develop. Do some basic design, build a few tables and sets, a few forms and reports, and go from there. My honest feeling is if you don't do this, you will never build a reliable application.
                    Either that or start by building a test app for learning purpose only.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Thanks for the support, Raymond.
                      Yes, you will get lots of help here but people won't design your application for you. You may not like my advice but it is offered in a positive way, if you don't start with the basics then you will never build a reliable application. If you play around with alphasports, or build a simple test application, you will learn a lot more than thrashing around in a complex application right from the start. I have been designing and writing software for over 40 years, in almost every language ever invented, and most databases, and it has always been the best way forward. But it's up to you.

Comment

I agree with Nick and Raymond. I also know you are no dummy. Learning does take time and learning terminology takes more time it seems. Tackling more than one or two ares of your app at one time can be very confusing. Been there! Done that!

May I suggest that after you design something, restart alpha. It has saved me many hours of frustration. I only do this when I get results I don't like.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Nick, Maybe you didn't get what I mean, Your advice is good but but it is not applicable to me,if you try to read my post, i have been doing the right thing according to what i have read and viewed on the tutorial, and I HAVE BEEN TRYING but as you see according to the one who tested the sample that i attached, it is working fine, but how come that it isn't on my computer, Your advice is applicable to someone or a newbie who doesn't try doing it and is asking for help, I AM asking for help because after trying so hard, 3 days for just a report that i could not produce it, your post is that as if I am jumping way too high- and that I am not learning the basics, i started last december 2011, and I have been doing the basics that you are talking about, how many years will I start from the basics to produce a report? I repeat NICK, i posted the sample and Tom said it is okey, strange because In my computer it is not? ISN'T THAT STRANGE AND UNUSUAL? DO I HAVE TO LEaRN THE BASICS THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO INCULCATE IN MY MIND, THAT I WILL LEARN THE BASICS FIRST?, Now to prove it to you, I formatted my hard drive, did a clean install of Windows 7, installed alpha five, and now it is working fine, Now, what would you tell me then? Nick please take note of this,People ask questions because they probably tried hard but could not achieve the right output, DON'T judge people telling them as if they did not do anything before they asked, you are wrong there, we tried ACCORDING to the LEVEL OF OUR BRAIN, we only asked after trying so hard and we still don't achieve the output. Anyway, I understand you, you misinterpreted me, Please take this advice from me, just help in some other ways, Don't tell people to learn the basics then step by step read books watch tutorials etc., of course it is common sense, people do that,but as i have said, people don't have the same levels of intellect.
                          Bottom line is you are right it's just that it is not applicable to me because what you thought is just that i dived in too soon without learning the basics.as i have said I understand you but you didn't understand me, Next time, don't advice someone like that, provide the solution if you know, don't tell people to learn because it's common sense, Look at one of the most experienced alpha developer here, Stan Mathews, see what he did? he just answered, and it doesn't mean that he provided the solution for me just like that, tell you what, it was a very big help, share your 40 years of experience by not telling people to learn the basics first, i repeat, people always do that.I just noticed, you have been here long enough, 2008, 244 post, maybe you helped thousands of alpha newbies before by telling them to learn the basics first.Stan, Keith and others including Nick oldfield, thank you so much for your help.I will continue my journey on reports!
                          Last edited by JetLi; 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                            I agree with Nick and Raymond. I also know you are no dummy. Learning does take time and learning terminology takes more time it seems. Tackling more than one or two ares of your app at one time can be very confusing. Been there! Done that!
                            Nick, Raymond and Dave and even ME agree, you are right, But can't you see, It is applicable to someone who just started alpha five an hour ago and asked questions,complaining that he can't do this and can't do that. An advice, Next time, don't argue with the alpha newbie, instead, provide a wiki link for him/her to peruse, don't let your emotions conquer you and tell him/her to do this and do that, because, maybe you don't know how hard he/she tried solving the problem before he/she asked,your help is good but it is absolutely useless. I am encouraging my friends to learn alpha five and buy alpha products because of Stan Mathews and Tom Cone Jr.

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                            May I suggest that after you design something, restart alpha. It has saved me many hours of frustration. I only do this when I get results I don't like.
                            Dave your right, and if i restart alpha and still not producing the result, I format my hard drive and install windows and alpha five again. I now have 1 computer with alpha five and windows only so that i can format and install windows and alpha anytime.
                            Last edited by JetLi; 04-06-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Spaces on Sub-Report

I can now produce an output of the report, I again attached an output, my problem is that I can't remove the three spaces on the left subreport and the record should go up on the first line, May I kindly asked again some help on this, what should I do?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jet,

I know you dont like advice but just answers, but I afraid you will have to live with this one. I'm sure that you feel that what you have now asked is related to your original question but as you have changed the title to "Spaces on Sub-Report" this really should now be a new thread. There are many reasons for this which have been given many times before.

I think the answer to your question is, edit the Sub-Report. If you now want to know how to do that, then please ask in a new thread. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will give you more positive help.
                                Regards
                                Keith Hubert
                                Alpha Guild Member
                                London.
                                KHDB Management Systems
                                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                                X