Alpha Video Training

Thread: customizing the "save record and enter a new record" button?

Real Name
    Edwin Lee

Default customizing the "save record and enter a new record" button?

The detailed view of a grid has a nice feature (a single button) to save a record and enter a new record. The standard event is that all the fields are cleared for the new record to be filled.

Is there a way to customize this action button so that selected fields are not cleared (left with the previous record value) when the new record starts? The purpose is for user convenience. Often times, some fields are the same between the new and previous record.

Thanks for any tips offered.

Real Name
    Marion Taylor

Default Re: customizing the "save record and enter a new record" button?

glad you asked this, because I've been meaning to find the video I saw about how to do it. The video shows a grid, but I'm thinking the same thing will work for a Detail View.

hmmm I was thinking of this video, but it's about a Form View of a grid... (not a detail view).... makes me think that I should learn about using a Form View

http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...InGridPart.swf
    MSQL since 2010
    A5V11 since Feb 2012

Real Name
    Edwin Lee

Thanks Marion for the tips. As you said, this is for the grid part and it seems that the Detail View part would be even easier if one were to use the 'initial value' method.

Now the question seems to boil down to how to define the initial value to the previous value just entered. what is that variable called?
    (I have used contants, such as =123 it worked, I used time function such as =now() and it worked).

Using the video example you suggested, I venture to put in something like this:

=this.stateInfo.defaultValue_FFF, where FFF is the field name, but no luck. Help!

Real Name
    Edwin Lee

I think I found the answer now, thanks to David for his tips.

I posted my findings (along with still some residue questions) in another thread I just updated.
    I am closing this thread now.