Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

401 Unauthorized; the sequel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401 Unauthorized; the sequel

Having chronicled my endless attempts to get past the 401 Unauthorized error, I will share the simplistic fix I employed and invite reactions.

I had been instructed to publish my components and pages to c:\a5\A5Webroot and my database files to c:\a5\data. I had done that, and every variant of security and other settings, with no success. I finally copied all files and components to each of the areas c:\a5\data, c:\a5\A5Webroot and c:\a5\.

That works to get me into my application where I have access to all my pages and all of my navigation works.

The issues now: Even though all of my dbf tables appear on my web server, I get the message "Error 3 - Error loading [PathAlias.ADB_Path]\customer.dbf: The system cannot find the path specified. \[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\customer.dbf" or its equivalent for every table. I use the Alias, "[PathAlias.ADB_Path] = c:\a5\data". "c:\a5\data" is the address given me by my host as the appropriate target and this is what I enter as my profile Alias in Define Path and Connection Aliases for Web Projects. Any suggestions?

Also, the style that I have chosen for all of my components does not consistently appear on my site. On some pages it is just as I intended, but, on others, the style just doesn't show up.

Re: 401 Unauthorized; the sequel

Originally posted by willobeth View Post
    I finally copied all files and components to each of the areas c:\a5\data, c:\a5\A5Webroot and c:\a5\.
    Copying your data files is one thing, but copying your A5 pages and components won't work. That's why you are getting the path error message. When you "publish" those objects, A5 automatically substitutes the actual target path for the PathAlias.ADB_Path. You do have to publish your files using Alpha's publish function (i.e. button).
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

That's been my dilemma. When I "publish" I get the 401 error. The first time I got to see any of my work on the internet was when I copied as noted. That, to me, was extraordinary progress.

I will go back and start again, publish everything (though I had done this countless times before doing the copying) and see if I get a better result.

Comment

It's really impossible for anyone here to diagnose this, all we can do is make stabs in the dark. There is something you are doing or not doing that has not been part of the discussion*. The thing that is troubling is if you are following instructions properly, then the instructions are flawed or incomplete, and that's a different issue that your host needs to resolve. You are not the first person to have trouble in this area, with the same host. Regarding publishing, I have seen all of the following incorrect methods:
        • Publishing to the development area, overwriting the development files with published files, ruining the development files.
        • Publishing the above ruined development files back to the publishing location, ruining the published files.
        • Publishing web files to the data location.
        • Publishing data files to the web files location.
        • Publishing the data to the place where the data was already coming from.
        • Publishing everything to the C: root folder.
        • Making the Document Root about nine folders deep with long folder names with embedded spaces.
        • Copying rather than publishing.
        • Not selecting the right boxes and options during publishing.
        • Copying everything everywhere.

* When you are in this situation it is always the one thing you are overlooking (or don't understand, or misunderstand) and not the dozen things you keep retrying.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve says: "You are not the first person to have trouble in this area, with the same host."

The implication seems to be that it is a hosting issue and in particular a ZebraHost issue.

When we set a VPS up we load the WAS and activate it. We then publish a "Future Home" page with some test data. This confirms that the server and WAS have been correctly setup.

We provide the user with login information including the location of the A5Webroot and the datafolders.

If we are able to publish successfully using Alpha Five's internal ftp engine then the customer should also be able to do so.

We have many Alpha Five customers who have absolutely no problem in this area. Their VPS have been set up in exactly the same manner.

If willobeth is in agreement I would happily provide Steve with access to the server so that he can review the setup.
          Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
          Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Clive, I will agree to give Steve access provided that he agrees that all data and design are confidential.

Comment

This not the place to negotiate another person's time. I decline to look at the setup and assume it is fine. If you want to contract me, you need to contact me directly. And as I have said many times up here, ZebraHost is a fine establishment.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Nonetheless, your comment about others having problems with this host has given me some concern.

Comment

Steve, I overstated. It's like one other guy. And I have always said that YOU are the one making the mistake(s) here.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

And I have never doubted or denied that I am making mistakes. This is why I turned to the A5 community.

I would to like close this discussion by saying that Zebra, Clive specifically, has been more than patient and responsive. If others have had problems, they may not have commuinicated their issues effectively to Zebra.

Comment

I have just double-checked the setup. I can't see anything wrong with it.

The structure is:

c:\a5\A5Webroot
                      c:\a5\data

Currently there are files in the a5 folder, the A5Webroot folder as well as the data folders (all uploaded via an external ftp engine I presume.)

Getting back to basics, willobeth needs to resolve why he can't publish using the Internal Alpha Five engine.

Figure that out, then delete everything from the folders and republish using the internal ftp engine.
                      Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
                      Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

The 401 Unauthorized error can only occur in a few limited ways.

The most likely is that security is enabled, but the security data files were not published. The publish dialog has a check box to publish the security data files. It is NOT checked by default to prevent overwriting security data already on the server. They MUST be published at least once. If publish all files is selected, a warning dialog opens telling the user to publish the data. If the warning dialog is turned off, the message does not appear and it is easy to forget to publish the data.

The data can be published by checking the box from the publish dialog, or by selecting Publish from the Web Security Menu.

The message will also appear if some of the other security files do not exist on the server. These are normally published automatically, but can be also be published from the Publish option on the Web Security Menu. These two are the minimum files that must always exist, even if security is set to off.

guid.SecuritySettings
                        project.SecuritySettings

If security is enabled, this file must also exist

pages.SecuritySettings

Enabled security must also have a number of files starting with "websecurity_". The actual files will vary depending on the security configuration.

Comment

Allthough I did not take the time to really check it, I suspect the following issue:

When using more than one web project on a database, publishing the security settings in one project, results in the 401 error in the other.

It can be overcome by really exiting the WAS and running it again. (restarting is not enough).

It happens also when publishing to local host. Than you have to exit A5 and restart it again.

It happened to me a couple of times lately.

Can anyone confirm this?
                          Ren�
                          Windows 7, V11

Comment

The security data is identified in the system by the security GUID in guid.SecuritySettings. The system is designed to allow only one application location to use a given GUID. Any other application linked to the same GUID value will return an error. In current builds, you will get

"403 The security settings for this server are missing or incomplete."

I earlier builds, this might come back with the same text but be identified as a 401 error

If you inadvertently publish to the wrong location on the server and open a page, the GUID will be linked to that location. If you republish to a different location on the same server, it will show the 403 error as the GUID is already linked to a different folder. Only the first location will operate correctly. The second location will return an error.

The only solution is to clear the original security data. This can only be done by shutting down and restarting Alpha Five or the Application Server in a server only install. If you are using a hosting company, you will have to contact them to shut down and restart the program. Stopping and restarting the server will not clear the original data. The files in the original location should be removed or it is possible to open a page from that wrong location, which will now give an error as the GUID is linked to the new location.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryBrightbill View Post
                              The security data is identified in the system by the security GUID in guid.SecuritySettings. The system is designed to allow only one application location to use a given GUID. Any other application linked to the same GUID value will return an error.
                              Thanks, Jerry, for your explanation. I am a little bit disappointed now. When I understand you correctly, this means that:
                              1. You can run different projects on a database,
                              2. But you can only have one security environment.

This seems very awkward to me: I defined a project for employees and a project for members. There are over 500 members. I do not want to end up with members and emplyoees in one table and I want to separate the environments. I think that's what is project thing is designed for.

Now I understrand that the security cannot follow this logic. What now? I really don't like to merge the to projects...
                              Ren�
                              Windows 7, V11

Comment

Working...
                              X