Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Hosting

What and/or who do you use to host the WAS?

Is there an Alpha host for UK/European users along the lines of Zebra in the US?

Cheers
    Andy

Re: Web Hosting

Hi Andy

I am using a VPS with Fasthosts currently running four separate applications using 4 separate instances of the WAS. Working very well and very scaleable.

Let me know if you want any further info.

Kind regards

Glen
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

ZebraHost will have a UK facility soon. Please contact [email protected] for details.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

How much are you paying with Fasthost and do they manage it or do you have to - I am a non techie!

I have e-mailed Clive and will put the details here when I get a reply

Cheers
        Andy

Comment

Hi:

We can offer dedicated servers in London. Hyper-V will be available in the London datacenter in 2 - 3 weeks End of August 1st week in September). Pricing will be similar to our US pricing.

We currently have a number of UK and Euro customers with sites on our servers in Houston.
          Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
          Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Hi Andy

Sorry for the delay in responding. Server costs start from just under �40pm and can be instantly scaled if needed. You have to manage the server yourself. I currently have 4 applications running under 4 instances of WAS each with their own ip address. None of the apps are intensive web apps and performance is pretty good even at the lower (cheaper) end.

From what I hear many have plenty of good to say about Zebrahosting. My problem is the UK/European Data Protection Laws. For three of the apps running I cannot store the data outside the EU without potentially breaching the DPA rules and regs.

There is a potential to do so IF Zebrahost adopt the US Safe Harbor principles which I don't believe they currently do (or at least I cannot see it on the web site). Even then when I checked with the Information Commissioner all they would say is that this MAY be okay! So when it comes to client sensitive data for me "May" is not good enough.

The new UK Data Centers may get round this but I would want to know about redundancy (and where the backups are stored)
            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen:

We will have hyper-V Nodes with separate dedicated backup servers available in the London UK datacenter within the next 2 weeks.

You will have the option to have your data backed up to a backup server in Texas or in London or both.

Backups are encrypted. You get the encryption key. Lose the key and even we would not be able to help you recover the data.

So from a security point of view backing up to the Texas datacenter should not fall foul of the European regulations. Disclaimer: Check with your lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by ZebraHost View Post
                Glen:

We will have hyper-V Nodes with separate dedicated backup servers available in the London UK datacenter within the next 2 weeks.

You will have the option to have your data backed up to a backup server in Texas or in London or both.

Backups are encrypted. You get the encryption key. Lose the key and even we would not be able to help you recover the data.

So from a security point of view backing up to the Texas datacenter should not fall foul of the European regulations. Disclaimer: Check with your lawyer.
                Hi Clive

Thanks for the update. As you have UK location for backup as well it would be a non issue.

The problem over here is that there have been many well publicised data breaches mostly it has to be said due to stolen laptops not having encryption or cd backups going missing. These often end up with massive fines for the organisations involved and the latest one this week ended up with a fine of �2.3 million (around $3.5 million!) and that was because of a backup that was breached outside of the EU!

So as I am personally registered under the data protection act you can probably understand why I will take no chances with this!

Kind regards

Glen
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

TYI

To backup data outside the EU [ co-location] a hosting provider should read this and other related documents [Data Protect Rules EU].

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies...s/index_en.htm

Comment

Originally posted by bea2701 View Post
                    TYI

To backup data outside the EU [ co-location] a hosting provider should read this and other related documents [Data Protect Rules EU].

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies...s/index_en.htm
                    Thanks Eric. This is very useful info.

Comment

Re: Web Hosting in UK

Just to let everyone know that our First Hyper-V node is up and running in the London Datacenter.

With 24 cores, it is the most powerful of all our Hyper-V servers. It has 15K RPM drives and plenty of RAM and is behind an ASA hardware firewall.

We have also installed a backup server in the same datacenter for those who want their backups to remain in the UK.

Backups are automatic and are encrypted.

Comment

Hi Forum
                        I have had a US Based Hyper V with ZebraHost which has been excellent in operation, speed and support. We are a small UK base developer so we have just moved to ZebraHost�s new UK base service.
                        The new hyper V is working great, the setup and transfer was handle quickly and all our files were transferred by ZebraHost without a hitch. The new hyper V is much quicker than our US based Hyper V as it is closer to us and is using the very latest hardware.
                        Add all of the above to ZebraHost�s excellent technical support and all round service which is the best I have come across, and I have dealt with a lot of hosting companies in the past 15 years, ZebraHost is in our opinion the best supported Windows based hosting package available.

ZebraHost top of the pile by a mile

Robert Hoggan
                        Touchdry Ltd

Comment

Working...
                        X