Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Credit card info stolen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else get this message

Originally posted by StevenMcLean View Post
    Well thanking Alpha for the notification is Bizarre. They by law have to notify all potential clients within 48 hrs of breach. It seems from others that they knew a couple weeks ago? Humm.....
    There is nothing bizarre about thanking someone for obeying the law especially when so many don't. In regards to when they found out I didn't see anything posted here that would suggest Alpha knew about it weeks ago.

As an attorney, or someone who works at a law firm, you might be familiar with what happened with Lexis-Nexis in 2005 and again in 2009. On two accounts I never received a notification from them like it said was sent out in the news.

Stuff happens and given the length of time Alpha has been around accepting CC's without an issue I can easily give them the benefit of the doubt on this when it comes to following the proper protocols for taking CC's online. I'm sure they did when they set it up and I'm sure they did so when a breach was encountered.

Comment

Re: Credit Card Info Stolen

Originally posted by SMARTII View Post
      Shortly after I ordered a V9 Application, a $98.00 Charge appeared on my card. I notified my bank. They investigated and it was a charge from Cabela's for a Gift card...No Address of the purchaser...
      Coincidence?
      They issued a new card.
      Tom:

I believe this replay will generate an email to you.

Please return to this thread as soon as you have time. I am trying to establish a timeline for the compromise of Alpha's outsourced web host. I, too have a Cabela charge on my card.

Chase claims this started on or about October 25, 2009. I am concerned I may have to go through all my records to track down earlier issues.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Well thanking Alpha for the notification is Bizarre. They by law have to notify all potential clients within 48 hrs of breach. It seems from others that they knew a couple weeks ago? Humm.....
        Steve, no idea of USA law or how that applies to customers outside the USA. I just know that many companies have hidden breaches like this feeling it would hit their sales. I don't know the background to it but maybe it has taken two weeks for the breach to be found but at least we know and can take action. It's unfortunate timing for Alpha with V10 having just been released but I'd be interested to know who the service provider is that has been breached.

Comment

Ross, not there is nothing bizarre about obeying the law. What is though is praise for doing so.

Comment

Geoff, I am aware many companies do hide these breaches, that however does not make those that follow the law be anything special.

We are not in the US but Canada.

Comment

10/13/2009 Purchase PURCHASE CABELAS.COM*110832 10/12 $98.00
              10/21/2009 Deposit REFUND CABELAS.COM*110832 10/16 $98.00

Originally posted by CraigSchumacker View Post
              Tom:

I believe this replay will generate an email to you.

Please return to this thread as soon as you have time. I am trying to establish a timeline for the compromise of Alpha's outsourced web host. I, too have a Cabela charge on my card.

Chase claims this started on or about October 25, 2009. I am concerned I may have to go through all my records to track down earlier issues.

Thanks,

Craig
              First Love

Comment

Tom:

Thanks, that ties in with the same time line. I am assuming the culprits are working their way through the table, and working with card info that has not expired.

I'm going to take it that my problems started on 10/25. Thanks, you saved me a bit of work and research.

Craig

Comment

Geoff, I am aware many companies do hide these breaches, that however does not make those that follow the law be anything special.

We are not in the US but Canada.
                  Steve I can see you are from Canada but Alpha is based in the USA. I have no idea what the law is in the USA governing this type of situation. As such when I praised them I did not know they were under any legal obligation to notify us. In fact I must admit my ignorance I don't even know what the UK law is for this situation.

That being send the praise still stands. It does no harm and reinforces that it is the commercially and morally sensible thing to do in my opinion. That it may also be a legal one all the better.

Just my opinion though however bizarre it might be;).

Comment

Accepting Credit cards from Canada, you are governed by the laws of Canada. The notification appears to be in excess of 2 weeks after the fact which is far from abiding to the law not to mention warranting praise!

Comment

Mine was on 10-19-09 for $95 at Cabelas.com. I also had a $50 at Golfsmith International.
                      Ted

Comment

The notification appears to be in excess of 2 weeks after the fact which is far from abiding to the law not to mention warranting praise!
                        Interesting. Surely the law must be 48 hours from becoming aware of the breach. How do you know Alpha were aware of the breach two weeks ago. Just because the fraudulent acts occurred two weeks does not mean Alpha was aware of the breach at that time. Just speculation on both our parts as we cannot know unless Alpha have told you they were aware of this two weeks ago.

Did they? If they did then yes it doesn't look too favourable but I will give them the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise.

Comment

Accepting Credit cards from Canada, you are governed by the laws of Canada. The notification appears to be in excess of 2 weeks after the fact which is far from abiding to the law not to mention warranting praise!
                          I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Nothing posted here makes it 'appear' the notification is in excess of 2 weeks after the fact. What gives you the idea they were not timely with notification?

Comment

Ross, not there is nothing bizarre about obeying the law. What is though is praise for doing so.
                            Maybe that's how you do things in Canada, in the US there is nothing inappropriate or bizarre as you say about saying thanks.

Comment

FTC: Information Compromise and the Risk of Identity Theft: Guidance for Your Business

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...eft/bus59.shtm

FTC: Facts for Consumers - Credit, ATM and Debit Cards: What to do if They're Lost or Stolen

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre04.shtm

Detection and Punishment

In the US, people that commit credit card crime largely go unpunished and repeatedly victimize consumers and businesses.[citation needed] The Secret Service handles crimes involving the U.S. money supply; they have a limit of $150,000 before investigating each crime.[citation needed] Most credit card criminals know this and keep purchases from any one business below $150,000. Credit card fraud can be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and to local and regional authorities. It is the standing policy of the FTC not to investigate reports where the value of fraud does not exceed $2,000. Local law enforcement may or may not further investigate a credit card fraud, depending on the amount, type of fraud, and where the fraud originated from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud

Comment

Originally posted by RossAllen View Post
                                Maybe that's how you do things in Canada, in the US there is nothing inappropriate or bizarre as you say about saying thanks.
                                I am from Canada and have had my CC breached 3 times. I never received any kind of notice the first 2 times but Alpha came through and did let me know that this current occurance could have been from this breach of their ISP.

As such I would like to thank them for letting all of us know. It appears that many have not been compromised and have now had the heads up to get their cards changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X