Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pre-release and expired subscription

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre-release and expired subscription

Alpha should look at this model:

https://sales.jetbrains.com/hc/en-gb...lback-license-
    Brad Weaver, President
    ComputerAid International
    Ottawa ON Canada
    Versailles KY USA
    www.compuaid.com

Comment

Some examples of license policy and four pictures. ):

Comment

That's a perfect model that I believe addresses the major concern of being dependent on the Alpha Server. It's fair to the consumer and fair to Alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by compuaid View Post
          this is perfect, this is the way it should be, and spelled out clearly.
          you don't get that in alpha site.
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

I agree. Brad has found the example that Alpha should immediately adopt and make clear on their website.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

+1 Peter.
              Nice catch Brad.
              This would keep small, medium and large users happy.
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Has anyone considered the revenue this would/could eliminate from Alpha? Anytime I attempt to make a change like this my wife's eye immediately give me "that" look!
                While I am in favor of this pricing model, I can see this as also affecting the bottom line of AS - it would be (possibly) a major financial consideration, not just going forward but in terms of backward compatibility. It may or may not affect things but it COULD be a factor!
                I hope they give this some serious consideration as it seems wholey fair to both the producer and the consumer.
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

That one looks Good. That would be my idea exactly.
                  I think you all know my feelings on required servers, so won't say more about it.

Has anyone considered the revenue this would/could eliminate from Alpha?
                  IT should have only a short term affect and then a very positive affect with much more income.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by scrimej View Post
                    That's a perfect model that I believe addresses the major concern of being dependent on the Alpha Server. It's fair to the consumer and fair to Alpha.
                    Yes for server Jetbrains model and for developer current Alphas model. Then everyone is happy.

Comment

I too was confused; my eldest son sells IT and he explained it to me. Alpha's subscription is totally standard. Pete Conway is practising exactly what my son insist I sell my customers. A year ago we got into an unbelievable mess running and updating multiple builds. We now develop in the latest build and like Pete have a test environment for pre-release "playing". In the pre-release, we find bundles of bugs but Selwyn is extremely timely with fixes.

In the big boy world, Alpha is very keenly priced. I have seen 2 game changers since the subscription model started; the SSL problem and Google maps. I had to write a whole mapping app in native Google maps because the customer did not have a subscription, this obviously took extra time.

So legacy customers can still use a non-subscription version of Alpha but there are downsides.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael1954 View Post
                        ...Alpha's subscription is totally standard...In the big boy world, Alpha is very keenly priced.
                        Alphas customers base is all that matters. Developers did realize in August the new license model. And I am sure that some legacy customers not even yet. So a new thing in Alpha world.

For independent developer this kind of pricing/license matters more than to a company. So current customer base is important. As a Alpha developer you have to build success projects. In the long term important is also how to get new developers to use Alpha. They got to have success business to use Alpha and they have to already know what to do with Alpha. I am sure Alpha is not a platform for unexpired developers from now on.

Next two years will tell how things have gone. Next year the new license policy will bite. Sure is that all projects that do not make money will shutdown.

From August I have spent lot of time with Ubuntu Linux server using command line, sudo nano.. you know. Very positive feelings now.
                        Phonecap cli is also now familiar. All other tools are same as before. No valid Alpha subscription anymore, (but legacy customer) so I have to soon make me decision also.

Comment

Having a large number of Joomla websites in play now that I host for others, if one becomes broken, I get a lot of heat. They are set to stop 5 days after payment is due and even then I get complaints. Yes they get a reminder 15 days ahead and then 5 days ahead and on due date, but they are still complaiming.
                          I do not remember getting a 15 day reminder from alpha. Maybe I missed it?
                          Maybe they consider their ads emails as reminders?
                          I also have emails set to go out to old clients and potential clients to hopefully help them along.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

All costs of business has to be weighed against income and those expenses can kill you.
                            It is a fact that a desk and chair with the tools to work costs upwards of 56,000 per year. That does not include the person to sit there.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

There is nothing better than Paypal when you or your customer pay for server or hosting or any other service. Forgot direct credit cards . You/customer just have to update your/their/companys Paypal account when credit card has reached the due date and everything works again in every service. Also cancelling a service is just as easy as it can be. My current development server is Linux vps 4gb/100ssd/8TB traffic/1.31 Tbit Bandwidth and cost is 15$ per month and server is certified. I also use Paypal when ever I can.

Comment

Dave, I don't think Alpha is worried sbout the small developers who got them where they are today
                                Loyalty is a transient thing, especially in business. The suggested licensing model would work for me. I will not subscribe, as mentioned before.
                                The problem of getting clients to pay is well documented and known. I have no real answer other than personal contact to elicit funds in order to continue the app. What annoys me is that a third party is sticking their oar in and mailing my clients with threats. They are not Alphas clients they are mine!

@Ken. I like PP, but my deal is a lot cheaper with another supplier. And no, I won't tell you who it is with, but a good few of us use it
                                See our Hybrid Option here;
                                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X