Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printing to PDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Printing to PDF

Originally posted by KarenABedeau View Post
    This is just one of sevaral issues I'm having with changing A5V10 to my new computer and Windows 7. I'm not sure whether they are all interrelated, or are separate issues.

See "Compacting Database Issue" for one.

The other is that my filters (using the Genie) are not working correctly on one of the fields in my parent database. "class" has the following possible entries: NA, NB, OA, OB, UA, UB, RNA, RNB, RAA, RAB, REA, REB, BNA, BNB, GO, GN, VER, TD, TDX, AND VST.
    I can filter on "begins with R," run my report, and get the correct records.
    When I filter on "begins with R" and check "exclude records that satisfy this criteria", I do not get the records with BNA, BNB, GO, GN, or VER.
    When I filter on class = BNA or class = BNB, I get NO records in my report. BUT, when I query on BNA and BNB from the set default browse, I get 16 records.
    So, I marked those 16 records, and ran the report on Marked Records...NO records in the Report.
    Am I losing my mind?
    As an addendum to this, I just tried running the report with no filter criteria, only ordering. The records with class - BNA, BNB, GO, GN and VER are all omitted. These are new classes that I added in 2009. Perhaps when I originally set up the tables I somewhere specified the old classes and the new have not been added? If so, why are the records present in the browse? And, if so, where could this be built into my database? I've looked everywhere I can think of.

Comment

Maybe the report is not based on the table you think? (related to issue with compacting?) Sounds like it is printing based on a table without the new classes(older version).

Take a look at the report tab of the control panel with the detail view selected. That will tell you which table the report is using.
      There can be only one.

Comment

It says it's using table "obediencerally," which is the one I've been entering new data into all along. I have two months of new data entered in the set obediencerally, and the records for the other classes all show up. When I do a browse on the set table "obediencerally" all of the records show up. But, if I do a report on the whole table with no filter, the new classes do not. Even if I mark the records with the new classes and run the report, I get no records in the report.

Yesterday, I created a new Report (Test Report) on the obediencerally set, and ran it with no filter. The new classes ARE incluided.

If the old(OBEDIENCE PROOF) Report is using a different table, why would it have the new records from the other classes? And where would it find it? The a5v10 folder is the only place I have any AlphaFive data. Could it be something built into the original report that I've long forgotten? I've been using this system since 1995....actually before that when I used Alpha4.

Comment

Kay, here's a tip for you going forward. Use unique names for everything in Alpha. i.e. don't name your sets the same as your tables. -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by JPFromtally View Post
            Run the InstallAmyuniPrinters by right clicking on the file and choosing "Troubleshoot Compatibility" then select "Recommended Settings." It really grinds my gears that Alpha has not only NOT fixed this issue for V9 but looks like it's an issue in V10 as well.
            I've tried doing this everyway I can think of, but still can't get the Alphafive Printer to show up when I access the list via Control Panel. Can you help?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
              Kay, here's a tip for you going forward. Use unique names for everything in Alpha. i.e. don't name your sets the same as your tables. -- tom
              Thanks, Tom. I have tables: scores, titles, trials, and irish.
              I have two sets: obediencerally and obediencerallytitles.

Where I seem to have gotten intotrouble is creating many databases using the same tables with slightly different names. I though I had solved it all by bringing only one to the new computer/Windows 7, but all of the rest seem to have come along as excess baggage. They date back to when I was originally setting up and backing up my database system. Now I have file folders full of garbage, but the problem is I don't know what is garbage and what isn't.

Any idea how to start cleaning house?

Comment

We have resolved this issue. After a bit of straightening out what files needed to reside in the current database directory, the database compact discussed in Karen's other thread performed correctly.

When she then reset the reports to first point to a valid physical printer driver, then set them to use the default printer, she was able to save as pdf and print to file as pdf.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Read the last post
                  Last edited by Ted Giles; 03-29-2011, 05:36 AM. Reason: Hadn't read the last post from Stan
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I was unable to print to PDF's or Excel - my main concern. From my thread a few minutes ago:

The root of the problem was that the One note printer was using the nul port. I deleted the damn printer. (Start menu->Devices and printers) I think I went to the printer properties for the A5 printer and deleted the nul port. I then ran InstallAmyuniPrinters.exe (from C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V10\AmyuniV4) as administrator, without any compatibility settings. I then went to the printer properties for the A5 printer and made sure it was set to use the nul port, not lpt1

That said, the output is still ugly. It gets the numbers fine, but doesn't get the formatting right.

I wish Alpha would build their own procedure to export a report to Excel. The way browses are exported are amazingly fast. There is just no formatting.

Off to bed.
                    Last edited by quinster; 03-31-2011, 06:05 AM. Reason: missed a detail

Comment

If I said the output was still ugly in excel, it isn't alpha's fault. A very very difficult task which the Amyumi driver cant quite handle.

Comment

Have you tried an export using Alpha DAO to Excel?

It does the best job that I've seen...
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                          Have you tried an export using Alpha DAO to Excel?

It does the best job that I've seen...
                          I've exported directly from a browse to excel. Works much faster than I can switch to excel. There is no formatting, but a good workaround given Excel's subtotal features.

I tried the DAO but prefer the formatting available in an export. Actually, I using field rules I set up a conditional export to excel on one field. The idea is that if a transaction is a sale, it exports all of the records for that stock, except the current transaction. That way I can check my cost base is right. I can do up an informal report, and paste it into a HTML memo field. I can also create an OLE attachment and put my exported and modified spreadsheet in there. All without real programming!

Not the best database design, but it works.

Comment

Actually exporting from a browse gives me formatting for numbers. Just nothing fancy like totals or lines.

Comment

What I'm talking about is shown here...
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD
                              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al, that is what I did. I am just not that fond of the formatting. I used action script in a filed event to create an export operation. Seems to format nicer. I suspect, however, the availability of SQL in DAO may give added flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X