Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pack script error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pack script error

Hello- I received an error message from a script I wrote in Alpha 5 version 9. The script read:

Script:FinalAppend line:47
    Tbl.pack()
    Table in use by another user or window

I just installed version 10 full and runtime database locally on my machine for testing before I deploy out to the server and upgrade. When I comment out the pack(), then the program runs, but my table doesn't pack as it should.
    I tested this script out in both runtime and full version and the error still appears and stops processing at this point.

Is there something different in version 10 that would cause this to happen?

Neecy

Re: Pack script error

Might be a timing issue. From the script name can we assume some append processing precedes the pack?

I would suggest following whatever prior code you have with

tbl.close()
    a_tbl = table.open("sametablename",FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)
    a_tbl.pack()
    a_tbl.close()
    'any other code here
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan-

Tried your method and the new error says The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. From reviewing the script attached, is there any reason you can see that Alpha 5 version 10 produces this error while it works with no problem in version 9?

Comment

That still indicates a timing issue. Try it this way with the append inside a function.

And no, I don't see a reason it should behave differently.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I have often seen mention of converting an action script to Xbasic and putting it into a function.

Is it as simple as just creating the function as you have done
          ? ie. Making it Logical and enclosing within:

FUNCTION app_code as L()
          app_code = .F.

Scrpit goes here.....

app_code = .T.
          END FUNCTION
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Yup, just that simple. You can add error checking but the basics are in my attachment. If you capture the xbasic of an Alpha generated append you will have the error checking it adds.

The reason you make the script return a logical type is so that you can say

if functionname() 'returns true if the script completes, false if it doesn't
            'do this
            else
            'do that
            end if

Setting the return functionname = .F. means that if the script in the function doesn't finish then the line functionname = .T. never executes and you can test for that.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Keith,

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
              Hi Stan,

I have often seen mention of converting an action script to Xbasic and putting it into a function.

Is it as simple as just creating the function as you have done
              ? ie. Making it Logical and enclosing within:

FUNCTION app_code as L()
              app_code = .F.

Scrpit goes here.....

app_code = .T.
              END FUNCTION
              It is actually easier, but returning a logical just makes it more Script_play() equivalent and has the advantage outlined by Stan.

However, the benefits are enormous for more reliable operation. See my tips here.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hello-

Since I upgraded to version 10, I have had to make adjustments to my code so that it works. My prior version was 9. I don't receive the pack script error now, however, form doesn't work as before. In version 9, my calculated fields updated when typing values into a non calculated fields. Since I have copied my database into a new folder and started using version 10, the calculated fields do not update automatically when entering values into a non calculated field as i have it setup. How do I go about having this work for version 10? My database have massive calculated and non-calculated field, therefore, I hope I do not have to re-create everything.

Neecy

Comment

Neecy, is this latest issue related to the pack script error? If not, consider starting a separate thread to keep the discussions separate.

Regarding the pack script error you did you get the problem fixed? What did the solution look like?

Comment

Hi Tom-

This does relate to the pack error. The pack() worked in version 9, but doesn't in version 10. It appears that many of the scripts in version 9 requires me to modify my code for version 10.

The pack script error didn't disappear at all. The only resolution I could use was packing the table using pack() into another script. Although it appears to be a timing issue from where I originally had it, after going through the suggestions given, the error still said it couldn't pack the table because the table is being used by another process. The table was closed before the script to pack was initiated.

Comment

Hello, Anissa.

It seems to me that a question about getting calc fields to update is a very different issue than a question about why a script that packs a table is failing. Suggest you begin a new thread when there's a different issue you have questions about. It will get better exposure and will be easier for others to find when they have similar issues later on.

Comment

Working...
                      X