Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Text Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text Messages

Is it possible to send the contents of a field as a text message to mobile phones using a GSM modem attached to my PC. If so, how?

RE: Text Messages

Stephen,

What software do you have to send SMS from your PC?

Keith Hubert
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

RE: Text Messages

At present this is only Terminal but alternatives can be considered.

Comment

Re: Text Messages

I would like to find some kind of an integrated Alpha 5 solution. But I have used 2 different independent programs which both worked ... This company has the most variety of programs to send SMS messages .. http://www.drpusms.com/. But their customer support is really weak.

This company ... http://www.smsdeliverer.com/ ... software has many more powerful features ... and their customer service is much better ... but their documentation is pretty weak.

if anyone would like to push this idea forward ... i would like to help.
        Truth between candid minds can never do harm. Thomas Jefferson
        The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Louis Pasteur

Comment

Originally posted by jimxoc View Post
          I would like to find some kind of an integrated Alpha 5 solution. But I have used 2 different independent programs which both worked ... This company has the most variety of programs to send SMS messages .. http://www.drpusms.com/. But their customer support is really weak.

This company ... http://www.smsdeliverer.com/ ... software has many more powerful features ... and their customer service is much better ... but their documentation is pretty weak.

if anyone would like to push this idea forward ... i would like to help.

You can send a SMS using email. All you need to know is the recipient phone number and their service providers gateway address.

For example, in an email sent to [email protected] it would send an SMS message to phone number 1234567890

Here are some gateway addresses by carrier. You can also search "sms gateway list" for additional gateway address or any updated gateways.

AllTel @message.alltelcom
          AT&T @txt.att.net (@mms.att.net if the email contains rich text, html or attachments. Even works with plain text messages)
          Boost Mobile @myboostmobile.com
          Sprint @messaging.sprintpcs.com
          T-Mobile @tmomail.net
          US Cellular @email.uscc.net
          Verizion @vtext.com
          Virgin Mobile @vmobl.com

It should be a simple matter of setting up where your Alpha app can send text messages using the built in email or using something like email_send() or email_send2()
          I have tested this with my phone and it works. I even sent a text message to myself with a pdf attached although I could not retrieve the pdf as I do not have a data plan with my smart phone.

Don't know the persons carrier, you should be able to find it here if you have their phone number. https://www.carrierlookup.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by preston2 View Post
            You can send a SMS using email. All you need to know is the recipient phone number and their service providers gateway address.

For example, in an email sent to [email protected] it would send an SMS message to phone number 1234567890

Here are some gateway addresses by carrier. You can also search "sms gateway list" for additional gateway address or any updated gateways.

AllTel @message.alltelcom
            AT&T @txt.att.net (@mms.att.net if the email contains rich text, html or attachments. Even works with plain text messages)
            Boost Mobile @myboostmobile.com
            Sprint @messaging.sprintpcs.com
            T-Mobile @tmomail.net
            US Cellular @email.uscc.net
            Verizion @vtext.com
            Virgin Mobile @vmobl.com

It should be a simple matter of setting up where your Alpha app can send text messages using the built in email or using something like email_send() or email_send2()
            I have tested this with my phone and it works. I even sent a text message to myself with a pdf attached although I could not retrieve the pdf as I do not have a data plan with my smart phone.

Don't know the persons carrier, you should be able to find it here if you have their phone number. https://www.carrierlookup.com/index.php
            As suggested, you can certainly send texts via email. We actually do that in some cases.
            Caveats:
            -You'll have to determine the carrier for each recipient and update if the recipient changes carriers.
            -If you send too many, you'll get blocked.
            -Some carriers will accept and deliver more than 160 characters, some will simply truncate.
            -Some carriers don't support it.
            -Delays can be significant.
            -Responses go to your email.
            -There is no conversation threading.
            -It sort of breaks the true SMS experience.

The above is why we are working towards a more integrated approach.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFabrega View Post
              -It sort of breaks the true SMS experience.

The above is why we are working towards a more integrated approach.
              "It sort of breaks the true SMS experience". What experience? Personally, I do not do text messages nor do I respond to them. I have always felt that if you are too lazy to do a voice call, then it is not that important.

That said, sending a short text message to a customer who is text-addicted saying "your order is ready" may be something you would want to do. Having any replies come back to an email address would be preferred if you wanted easy to print out and prove anything said.

Comment

Voice calls can be impractical. I wrote an "integrated" SMS/Email alert system for things like Mailboxes, Delivery Services, etc. It lets the manager do a selection of the notice they want to send and then it automatically sends short pre-scripted messages either by SMS and/or Email depending on client configuration. See attached image. Prior to using this application, the manager would have to telephone each client. So this solution cuts down notification time from 3-4 minutes per client to just a few minutes to process ALL clients.
                Attached Files
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by preston2 View Post
                  "It sort of breaks the true SMS experience". What experience? Personally, I do not do text messages nor do I respond to them. I have always felt that if you are too lazy to do a voice call, then it is not that important.

That said, sending a short text message to a customer who is text-addicted saying "your order is ready" may be something you would want to do. Having any replies come back to an email address would be preferred if you wanted easy to print out and prove anything said.
                  By 'the experience' I mean a conversational thread that shows both incoming and outgoing text messages from real phone numbers similarly to how they would look on a phone but on a desktop instead.

In the email to SMS scenario, you wouldn't get that conversational thread. If there was any kind of lengthy discussion, you'd have to find all of the associated emails and print all of them rather than simply printing the conversation. For a similar example to 'your order is ready' take a look at the video at: http://www.textbox.cc/repair-shops. For a look at an interface that could be somewhat replicated in Alpha, take a look at the demo video at http://www.textbox.cc/ (entire conversations can be printed from that app)

Edit: I realized after writing the above it was a different thread than I thought it was. There is another thread where we are talking about Alpha integration with our TextBox API. I just reviewed and see that the original question in this one was regarding sending SMS through GSM Modems. My apologies.
                  Last edited by JohnFabrega; 11-30-2015, 03:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                  X