Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Software as a Service (Saas) and Multi-tenant Architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Software as a Service (Saas) and Multi-tenant Architecture

Make sure you're getting the entire URL not stopping at db=opti

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Make sure you're getting the entire URL not stopping at db=opti
      I'm just clicking on the link, but even if I manually copy the entire url = same problem.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
        Bill, your site has the guest option disabled. Also, you get two error messages before the page initially loads.
        Same for me.
        Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

OK, I've changed the name to take out the space and added the port#.

http://72.45.168.163:80/fmi/iwp/cgi?...&-startsession

Bill

Comment

Now I only get one error message, but you still can't select guest.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, Are you trying to open Crime Tracker or Optitracker? Crime Tracker does not have the guest option enabled and is the default database if you're not getting to OptiTracker.

http://72.45.168.163/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db...&-startsession

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Peter, Are you trying to open Crime Tracker or Optitracker? Crime Tracker does not have the guest option enabled and is the default database if you're not getting to OptiTracker.

http://72.45.168.163/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db...&-startsession

Bill
                Previously there was no Optitracker option visible. But this latest link works.

That's kind of nice. There is a certain simplicity (in the good sense) of a template driven database. But I can see where the price and configuration restrictions are a big stumbling block. Lack of printing capability is a huge disability as well. But I like the look and feel. Nice job.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Glad you finally got in! The look and feel is much nicer if you are using a filemaker client. The web (browser) client is a bit cheesy in comparison, but for data entry or lookups from the field it works.

Bill

Comment

I would also really appreciate some guidance on how to set permissions so that each user only sees their respective additions to the tables. In my tables I have a field for user_id named the same in the other tables, like user_id and invoice_id with the idea being that with one record of an invoice_id only belonging to ONE user_id the two would never get mixed up...but I am unsure how to exactly commit it to the user as well as how to make the relationship between tables where the same field would (or I would like) relate to the self same logged in user of my forms.

Does the form post to the user_id each time a record is submitted or does that get written once during sign up with the info magically cascading to all the other tables with the same field (relationship?)

I have been reading the forums and the documentation for several days and cannot figure it out. I get that you can filter tables or views to "see information" but how I relate it to the user I give up. I hope I am making sense to some of you guys who seem to just get it, I somehow seem to get lost in it. I strongly believe that this product is something I can learn, I just get lost somewhere in the mechanics of it.

I would also imagine that most of the guys who use this find my questions to be borderline retarded, but my brain can only hold so much information and I am really good at other things, lol.

Thanks in advance for your time.
                    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                      I would also imagine that most of the guys who use this find my questions to be borderline retarded
                      Here we go again. Not picking on your Charles. Read post #11 above. It's not easy. There's no roadmap and you need xbasic skills to make it work in a multi-tenant situation.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Agreed Peter it is not easy and I did read that, I think I am not asking the correct question. Let me try it another way, can anyone post some code from a grid in which a user (in a multi-tenant app) would get information from a specific row, meaning a row that pertained to them? I think if I had something to go by I could make it work.
                        A second alternative and possibly the best one - Should I just make the app for myself and hire an alpha 5 experienced programmer to turn it into a multi tenant app? I am not opposed to paying for help. I just wanted to do as much as I could to create and build this. I am very much a hands on need to know person, but realize my limitations when I meet them as impossible for me. I am ok with it once I decide I give up!
                        I really do believe that as much work went into alpha 5 that they are just a release away from a point and click multi-tenant security system as well...

Last question: wheres the xbasic for dummies website at? Thanks for the reply Pete!
                        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Ok so I just bought the "xbasic for everyone" at www.libertymanuals.com, I will set to learnin and one day come back with my own post and hopefully help someone else out...thanks google

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                            wheres the xbasic for dummies website?
                            It is here

Comment

One word of caution about using "multi-tenant" databases - it can preclude the potential future use of an adhoc reporting tool. I helped an organization select a commercial SaaS CRM system for their use. One of the selling points was the ability to use an adhoc reporting tool to generate custom reports from the system. However, after buying into use of the system, the vendor indicated that use of the reporting tool required an organization specific instance of the MySQL database at significant additional cost (because they were using a multi-tenant structure). Bummer! The issue is that an adhoc reporting tool typically needs access to the schema that is not filtered by the value of a field in each table. While this may not currently be an issue with Alpha5, I will not be surprised to see an adhoc report writer included in Alpha5 at some point in the future. Even now, there are available open source report writers that will work with a MySQL database. Incorporation of an adhoc report writer in a multi-tenant system could require significant redesign of the database and rewrite of the application. For me, long term stability of the database design is paramount and for that reason I shy away from a multi-tenant database.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                                It is here
                                Kkfin's xbasic & Alpha's xbasic are two different languages and presumably mutually exclusive.
                                Peter
                                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X