Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V12 Port and Session issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V12 Port and Session issues

Since the upgrade to V12 the server behavior has somewhat changed.

If I stop and restart the Alpha Server it doesn�t release port 443. It holds on to it for maybe 5 minutes before it releases it.
    If I run the command �netstat �aon� it shows that 443 is released. However in the task manager it shows that the PID is still active. (Not a huge issue, but I can't restart the server like before)

It seems like all of the sessions are now linked. If user 1 ends a session the server stops responding to all of the other users for about 3- 5 minutes then the server remembers their session and reconnects them (so to speak).
    The workaround has been to set the sessions for 12 hours and then nothing expires.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Any experts out there that can comment?

Re: V12 Port and Session issues

Still have this issue... I deleted all the pages on the server and republished. I rebooted the server. Still have the same problem. This started to happen after the v12 upgrade. I never had this problem in v11.

Comment

Hi Lee,
      If you are able to duplicate this issue, please report it to Alpha as a bug so they can investigate it.
      Edhy Rijo
      Progytech
      (Computer Consultants)
      The makers of CardTracking.Net
      www.progytech.com

Comment

I just enabled SSL for the first time 2 days ago and it was taking anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes to initially connect. After that the response time was okay. I turned off SSL yesterday morning to see if that was causing the delay and the response time was very fast like you would expect. I have not investigated the problem further since learning that SSL has something to do with this unimaginable delay. I'm not sure yet what the response time is after the session expires with SSL.

I have three V12 WAS virtual servers using Microsoft Network Load Balancing and a GoDaddy SSL certificate. We have been using GoDaddy for 4 years and never experienced any problems.

Comment

Dave,
          I'm trying to do Load Balancing but my hosting company cannot get it to work. Any idea's? Was it straightforward? I also use SSL but do not have any problem with it connecting in a timely manner.
          Reed Brown
          ITOT Solutions, Inc.
          Alpha v12

Comment

Reed,

We used Microsoft Network Load Balancing which comes with Windows Server. I don't remember having to do anything special with the WAS. You must use SQL tables for web security of course, so each web server is accessing the same security database. I think most people using load balancing with Alpha use a hardware appliance like Barracuda, but they can be quite expensive. Microsoft NLB is purely software based. Do you know what type of load balancer your hosting company is using? Are they saying that the problem has to do with Alpha Five? Be sure the load balancer is configured for single session affinity, otherwise it won't work.

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. We have three VM's. VM 1 and VM 2 have WAS on them. VM 3 has SQL. Both WAS talk to the one SQL server just fine. I can log on to either VM and run my app with no problem. I wanted to load balance the two VM's running WAS so when someone logs in they will go to VM 1 and then the next login will go to VM2 and so on. My service provider is using CloudStack and it has load balancing on it but when activated the second WAS will not respond. Also it turns my HTTPS to red instead of green.
              Reed Brown
              ITOT Solutions, Inc.
              Alpha v12

Comment

As far as I know, Alpha is running successfully on an assortment of load balancers. We are the only company that I know of using Alpha with Microsoft Network Load Balancing. I hope to run across others that are using it. My point is that there is nothing special about Alpha and load balancing. If it's not working, my guess is that something needs to be configured differently with the load balancer and/or network adaptor settings. We did not get NLB working straight out of the gate either. We had to make several changes to NLB that we did not anticipate and also the virtual network adaptor settings. I know we had to permanently disable TCP/IPv6 for each VM in the load balancing cluster in order to get it to work properly. I'm sure all of the changes we made were unique to our load balancer and network configuration.

I am not familiar with CloudStack, but if your provider has successfully configured it to work with other web servers using the same type of network and virtual machine hardware/software, I don't know why it wouldn't work with Alpha Five. It sounds like you want a round-robin balancing approach. Does the provider configure the load balancer or do they provide a simple UI for you to configure and set the policies and rules?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveF View Post
                  As far as I know, Alpha is running successfully on an assortment of load balancers. We are the only company that I know of using Alpha with Microsoft Network Load Balancing. I hope to run across others that are using it. My point is that there is nothing special about Alpha and load balancing. If it's not working, my guess is that something needs to be configured differently with the load balancer and/or network adaptor settings. We did not get NLB working straight out of the gate either. We had to make several changes to NLB that we did not anticipate and also the virtual network adaptor settings. I know we had to permanently disable TCP/IPv6 for each VM in the load balancing cluster in order to get it to work properly. I'm sure all of the changes we made were unique to our load balancer and network configuration.

I am not familiar with CloudStack, but if your provider has successfully configured it to work with other web servers using the same type of network and virtual machine hardware/software, I don't know why it wouldn't work with Alpha Five. It sounds like you want a round-robin balancing approach. Does the provider configure the load balancer or do they provide a simple UI for you to configure and set the policies and rules?
                  They provide a simple UI to configure and set the policies and rules but Alpha WAS does not respond.
                  Reed Brown
                  ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                  Alpha v12

Comment

I have been using GoDaddy SSL for years and never had this problem until the V12 update. It seems to me there was a change in V12 for SSL for another product. Could it be affecting the GoDaddy product? I don't know what to send Alpha as a test case... What I have noticed is that when a sesssion expires everybody is disconnted from 3-5 minutes. If they refresh they get the connection back.

Comment

I also use GoDaddy SSL but I have no problem at all with it in V12 so I do not think it is an Alpha problem.
                      Reed Brown
                      ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                      Alpha v12

Comment

My issue seems to be different than Lee's because I am seeing a 1-3 minute delay at the start of a new session. When I turn off SSL, the delay goes away. I haven't had a chance to look into the problem further, but I will later today.

Comment

Hi Lee,
                          Originally posted by lvasic View Post
                          I don't know what to send Alpha as a test case... What I have noticed is that when a sesssion expires everybody is disconnted from 3-5 minutes. If they refresh they get the connection back.
                          Open a bug report with a description and some screenshots of your issue. They may need you to provide a sample database and your project so they can try to replicate it.

Also, very, very important, while your application is shown the unwanted behavior, you can create a Windows Dump file which may contain information for Alpha developers to see if there is a problem there. I attached a document that will explain to you how to create a 32bit Windows Dump file. Be aware that these files can be very big, so in this case Alpha will provide you with an ftp for you to upload it, or better yet, if you have an ftp server in your hosting server where the application is installed, then provide Alpha with this information when creating the bug report so they can download the file and get a fast diagnostic of your situation.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your status, it is very important for everybody that any issues related to the web server and investigated and fixed if it is an internal issue.
                          Attached Files
                          Edhy Rijo
                          Progytech
                          (Computer Consultants)
                          The makers of CardTracking.Net
                          www.progytech.com

Comment

This morning, I enabled a single WAS server for testing purposes, turned SSL back on and changed the session lifetime to 1 minute. I have not experienced any abnormal delays so far. I was hoping to see where the delay was coming from by using the Firebug network monitor, but so far I have been unable to reproduce the problem.
                            Last edited by DaveF; 09-16-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Lee,

Just a thought; have you tried with a self signed certificate (in v12) ? Just to see if that behaves differently ?
                              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Working...
                              X