Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Session Timeout Warning in a UX Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Session Timeout Warning in a UX Component

Has anyone gotten the session timeout warning feature to work correctly in a UX component? I can't figure out how to keep the session timeout warning from displaying when the user is not logged in. It seems that once it is enabled, it checks the remaining session time regardless of the user's login status.

Thanks

Re: Session Timeout Warning in a UX Component

i think you are missing a fundamental point here.

session timeout and user login have nothing to do with each other.

a user has a session regardless of whether he is logged in or not.

the session timeout fires when the server session is about to expire. this has nothing to do with the security framework or whether the user is logged in or not.

Comment

Thanks.

Allow me to rephrase the question: How can you temporarily shutoff the session timeout warning if a user has not been authenticated? I understand session lifetime and the security framework are two separate things. However, my app only generates session variables after a user has been authenticated. I do not need to warn an unauthenticated user sitting on the Login page that his session is about to expire.

Comment

if you do a view source on a UX component that has been configured to display session timeout warnings, you will see that the generated code adds to methods to the UX object:

you can use these events to turn off session timeout checking in the onRenderComplete event
        (so session timeout warnings are turned on in the builder, then immediately turned off for everyone)

then in the onLongin event, turn it back on again for logged in users.

here are the methods that you will see in the generated code

{dialog.object}._startSessionTimeoutCheckTimer();
        {dialog.object}._stopSessionTimeoutCheckTimer()

Comment

Thanks Selwyn. That's what I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
            i think you are missing a fundamental point here.

session timeout and user login have nothing to do with each other.

a user has a session regardless of whether he is logged in or not.

the session timeout fires when the server session is about to expire. this has nothing to do with the security framework or whether the user is logged in or not.
            PMFJI.

Yes, of course you are right in general, but there is a Web Security setting that, if I understand correctly, sets the Login to expire when the session does. That's how we have security set and the "After session timeout action" of the TabbedUI component is set to "Nothing". When the session expires the user is indeed logged out (at least that's the case most of the time) and we click "Ok" on the session timeout dialog. Unfortunately, it's like "Dead of Night": Even though the user is logged out and nothing was done except click "Ok" on the timeout dialog, the timeout warning and dialog reappear, in an endless cycle. Is that what's supposed to happen? Does the act of dismissing the dialog restart a session? Would "<Reload the Page>" start a session? I don't know, that's why I'm asking: My impression (and I could easily be wrong) was that a session wouldn't be initiated until the user logs in.

Comment

Originally posted by nlk10010 View Post
              PMFJI.

Yes, of course you are right in general, but there is a Web Security setting that, if I understand correctly, sets the Login to expire when the session does. That's how we have security set and the "After session timeout action" of the TabbedUI component is set to "Nothing". When the session expires the user is indeed logged out (at least that's the case most of the time) and we click "Ok" on the session timeout dialog. Unfortunately, it's like "Dead of Night": Even though the user is logged out and nothing was done except click "Ok" on the timeout dialog, the timeout warning and dialog reappear, in an endless cycle. Is that what's supposed to happen? Does the act of dismissing the dialog restart a session? Would "<Reload the Page>" start a session? I don't know, that's why I'm asking: My impression (and I could easily be wrong) was that a session wouldn't be initiated until the user logs in.
              A session times out when the user assigned to that session does not make a request to the server in the specified timeout period. If the time out is 15 minutes, that means the user has not made any request to the server in the past 15 minutes.

Any request to the server will either restart the countdown clock for the current session, or create a new session and a new countdown

The timeout action on a tabbed UI or UX has a number of settings to allow the developer to get different behaviors. If the action selected is "nothing", the session will time out and leave the warning message visible. If the user does nothing, there is no request to the server and the warning message will stay visible until someone clicks the OK. When they click the OK, the page will make a request to the server to reload the page. This will create a new session, and restart the countdown.

If the action selected is "Redirect to another page", as soon as the session times out, the page does a request to load the target page, again restarting a new session. If this is the action selected, and the target is <self>, this will repeat every time the page times out. To prevent this, set the target page after timeout to a page that doesn't have any timeout warning. This could be any page, such as a simple message page that has a link back to the original tabbed ui page. When the session times out on this other page, nothing happens.

Comment

Jerry:

Understood and thanks for the explanation. I asked if the act of dismissing the dialog restarts a session and you confirmed that was the case (which makes sense unless it's a javascript dialog, which this one isn't). So my alternatives would be to redirect to a page that isn't session-sensitive, so to speak, or somehow, via javascript, disable the session timer when the user isn't logged in (since my security settings dictate that the user is logged out when the session ends). That's fine, unfortunately, I'm having trouble with FireFox, which doesn't seem to want to log the user out when the session ends (Chrome and IE work fine), so I'll need to sort that before proceeding.

Comment

Working...
                X