Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Updatable, ReadOnly field in a Detail View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updatable, ReadOnly field in a Detail View

I have a TextArea control called Notes displaying in a Detail View in which users can enter a new note by clicking on the "New Note" button, which displays a javscript prompt, takes input from the user, and attaches a timestamp to the beginning of the recorded input before appending it to the existing Notes field. The field updates a NVARCHAR(MAX) field on an SQL Server table.

The idea is to have a TextArea that displays information similar to the example below -

24/01/2014 9:31:51 | add a note
    25/01/2014 15:12:55 | this is a test
    11/02/2014 8:11:16 | 123 123
    What I need to do is to be able to save these notes, whilst preventing the user from directly editing the text in the control.
    The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to stop users from entering text directly into the control, which allows them to change the details of the timestamp or to just enter information without one, and allow them to save the information at the same time. If I disable the field using the "Enable expression" property then none of the changes to the field are saved.

Is there anything similar to the "Readonly expression" property available to UX controls, or another control type or method of capturing data that would be more suited to my needs?

Re: Updatable, ReadOnly field in a Detail View

I think you'll need to work with 2 fields; 1 to gather all the text & 1 to do the actual entry because you dont seem to want users to be able to to edits once a note has been entered.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

They should be able to append more notes to the field, but only using the prompt (which I've yet to test on a mobile device, which could cause issues itself.)
      I'll play around with enabling/disabling the field around appending the information and see if I can work something out.

Comment

Paul, maybe you could ask AlphaSoftware if they plan to make the "Readonly expression" for controls in a UX available to controls in a Grid and Detail Part of Grid.

If they do not plan on doing that then you could just manually set the "readOnly" attribute of the html "input" element yourself using the "Client Side Properties / Conditional Style", "Function" property. I think video # 84 discusses how to use the "(Javascript) Function" property in client-side "Conditional Style", "Calculate Field Expression", etc. The Javascript "Function" property is really a cool thing that lets you do all sorts of stuff.

Here's a quick example how to use it in a Grid:
        - For a control, go to the "Conditional Style" property under "Client Side Properties". (You can do choose another client-side property to put it in, if you like)
        - Add a new condition with a "Logical Expression" of "1 = 1"
        - In the bottom editbox labeled "Function" type in the name of Javascript function you will create to set the controls special attributes. For example, I made a function called "DisableInputCtl". Don't add any parameters, just the function name - alpha will automatically supply one parameter to the function which is a pointer to the html element.
        - In the Builder go to the "Code / Javascript Functions" property and define the function. Here is an example:

function DisableInputCtl( ele )
        {
        if( !ele ) { return; }
        ele.readOnly = true;
        ele.tabIndex = "-1";
        }
        The above code will make the control read-only and also remove it from the tabbing order. WARNING: The control attribute names, "readOnly" and "tabIndex" are case sensitive! You can set any property you want, like the control's colors. You can also get creative and compute other related control names, like the dropdown button for listboxes, and the calendar control icon for date pickers, and then hide or disable them.

Here's the complete function I use now for editboxes that may contain a date picker or a lookup button:

function DisableInputCtl( ele )
        {
        if( !ele ) { return; }
        var id = ele.id;
        ele.readOnly = true;
        ele.tabIndex = "-1";
        ele.style.color = "#000080";
        ele.style.backgroundColor = "#e0dacc";
        ele.style.visibility = "visible";
        idc = id + ".CONTAINER";
        var cntnr = $(idc);
        if( cntnr != 'undefined' ) {
        cntnr.style.visibility="visible";
        }
        id = id + ".BUTTON";
        var btn = $(id);
        if( btn != 'undefined') {
        btn.style.display="none";
        }
        }

p.s. the code that adjusts the ".CONTAINER" control is there to undo changes made by another function where I sometimes hide the control instead of disabling it. In the real app I have more conditions on the control besides the last one of "1 = 1".
        Last edited by RichCPT; 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM. Reason: addional detail

Comment

I have something similar in one of my UX's quite simple. See the attached, users can add new date stamped notes, but can't edit them once saved.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rich,

I just tried your implementation and it works beautifully!
            I had no idea that the element was passed as a parameter in Conditional Style functions.

I'll have a play around and see if I can't use it for some other bits.

Thanks, everyone~

Comment

Working...
            X