Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Connecting to SQL Server Database Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to SQL Server Database Problem

Hi there,

I am having a problem trying to connect my web application to SQL Server database. I have a application that takes the user input and saves it to a table in the SQL Server database. I have done the data binding so my connection string is all setup. The application works perfectly in the working preview as well as the Live preview. The problem comes when I publish the application to my LAN server. Also, I have created my web Profile and for the Aliases I see that there is a message stating to use undefined if connecting to SQL Server.

I have followed all the steps. But still I get the error "Cannot connect to database"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

P.

Re: Connecting to SQL Server Database Problem

anytime this happens it is always alias.
    I am assuming the developing machine is NOT connecting to the database server at the lan machine.
    on the profile near the alias there is connection alias check that to default if the connection string is same or the correct one to point to the correct database.
    yes for sql you don't need the dataroot setup but you need to upload your data to the server if development machine is looking at that server then you don't need to upload anything.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Hi GGandhi,

Thank you for your reply. I am still new at this, just wanted to clarify. Do you mean that my LAN Server where I am publishing my Web-Application should be connected to my Database Server?

P.

Comment

the connection string should point to the sql server when developing and as well when published.
        for example during development
        the connection string points to
        //computername/drivename:foldername/server
        in the published site
        //servername/drive_letter:/foldername/servername
        will be addressed by the alias.
        if the development sql server is the same for deploying web site then select default connection string in the alias section
        see where it is located
        http://screencast.com/t/jkCnXxgz
        http://screencast.com/t/ZG2cuQ3iMz
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

Thanks,

I will try it out and update you shortly. Thanks! :)

P.

Comment

Hi there,

I tried your suggestion but some how it still does not seem to work for me. Just to make sure that I was getting connected to my SQL Server I added a list component which displays the data from the Table and it seems like there is an authentication error.

I used data Binding to connect to my SQL Server and it only allows me to use "Windows Authentication". I was assuming that Windows Authentication would be my username and password but it seems like it is using Administrator. I have not setup anything for administrator at all. And somehow it does not let me put my authentication or any other authentication.

error.png

Comment

I am puzzled too.
              here is step by step, let's see if it gets working.

you are on the lan ( since you are publishing on the lan)
              you are developing in a computer and everything works fine in that computer. don't just check the working preview. publish it local webroot and check via localhost/folder_in_the_webroot/your launching file. everything is fine so far.

now using alpha five create a new connection string to connect to the sql_server that will be for the production for the public to see
              it is able to connect and you get success. then copy that connection string and paste it in the profile where I showed you.
              now publish and check to see if it is working
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

Hi GGandhi,

It is still giving me the same error.

It works perfectly fine when I publish it to the Localhost using Remote Test but when I publish it to the LAN Server it still gives me the same error as above.

P.

Comment

If you can go to.the computer where alpha will be published and check if you can connect to the SQL server using management studio. If yes the it should be fine I work with mysql but when I tested with mssql the above worked.
                  Sorry couldn't help much
                  thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                  mysql backend
                  [email protected]
                  1 914 924 5171

Comment

I can connect to SQl server with Management Studio. I am publishing the application to the LAN Server so, I don't know how to check the connectivity from the LAN server?

Thanks for helping.

P.

Comment

If you are able to connect with studio then you should able use alpha to connect use the same credentials.
                      Once you are able to connect copy the connection string and apply to the alias area
                      Then it should be ok
                      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                      mysql backend
                      [email protected]
                      1 914 924 5171

Comment

I have tried all of those.

I will try it again later.

Thank you GGandhi for your prompt and quick response!

P.

Comment

Are the Components and grids available in the webroot published by FTP or the optimized variant?
                          In the picture I see a state error 2800 have

you set SQL server to allow login by mixed mode or are you connect with an Ative directory account, if not then you local (Windows login) is has the exact same user domain\user and password. Check that first.

Cheers Eric

Comment

since you still have problem would you please give an example of the set up, like below
                            development_computer----------------computer_A---------------------LAN_server
                            alphafive developer-------------------------------------------------------alphafive server
                            testing SQL server--------------------------------------------------------production sql server

also
                            when I publish it to the Localhost using Remote Test
                            what is remote test?
                            you publish to localhost just hitting the button and selecting localwebroot profile
                            Last edited by GGandhi; 07-18-2014, 05:22 AM.
                            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                            mysql backend
                            [email protected]
                            1 914 924 5171

Comment

Hi GGandhi and bea2701:

Thank you for your help. The issue got fixed. It was the authentication issue.
                              The SQL server was setup for mixed but when we reconfigured it again it worked.

P.

Comment

Working...
                              X