Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help with cascading (like) UX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with cascading (like) UX

I am trying to create a UX that filters downward like this:

Job
    Work Orders (have jobID)
    Work order Lines (have workorderid)
    Work Order labor increase request

So when the UX is opened the user has already chosen a job. The Job should then show (repeating section) of Work orders and then work order lines should be blank?? Until user clicks a work order and then the lines for the work order should retrieve - or lines for the first work order could retrieve and then change based on the user clicking on a different work order. Those rows should have a search or filter option for the labor increase requests which is the only updateable table. I have the Job and Work orders working fine - but am quite lost from there. Am I trying to do to much on a UX?

Re: Help with cascading (like) UX

What you are asking is not hard, it just takes a little flow charting.
    First, write out your flow starting with the first pulldown using an identifier index as output for the next pulldown to hook onto:
    pulldown1 --> display: jobtitle / output: jobtitleID
    pulldown2 --> input: jobtitleID / output: workorderID
    etc etc

PS If you choose Expert when setting up your pulldown, you can choose your sql syntax and filters however you like.
    Rapid Development, Training, Support
    http://data2web.network
    903-740-2549

Comment

I am still struggling with this. I have tried my UX multiple ways - first with a data bound container that has the Job information (filtered and opened from a grid where the jobid was supplied) and then from that container I have tried to filter the first list - the list comes up empty. I added an argument to the list and said that the value comes from the jobid from the databound container, but the list is always empty.

Comment

listfilterinstructions.JPGSo frustrating. I know this is a very powerful program but I struggle to follow it and the flow. I have made a very simple ux. It has a data bound container with 3 text controls on it - joboid, id, description. It is bound to a table v_job_header with columns of oid, id, description. When the UX is opened it passes the OID from the previous grid and sets that data. I then have a list that comes from another table and have a filter on it. I followed the instructions (see image) but the list just comes up blank. Why isn't this working?

Comment

Melanie,
          Is what you are trying to do in the UX similar to the videos "UXL_V12--31" and "UXL_V12--32", located under Alpha's Help / Video Finder? I see those videos include sample source you can downloads.

Comment

Hey Melanie,

From your first post, I understand what you're wanting to do....

Job ======> Work Orders (have jobID) ======> Work order Lines (have workorderid) ======> Work Order labor increase request

Job... OneToMany to WorkOrders

WorkOrders OneToMany to WorkOrderLines

WorkOrderLines OneToMany to WorkOrderLaborIR

The UX Component only handles one level of OneToMany automatically for populating data.

You can have...

Job ======> Work Orders
            ======> WorkOrderLines
            ======> etc.

But that's not going to help you in this case.

You can have Job ======> WorkOrders, and then populate the rest by code.

If you wanted to use the List control, instead of repeating sections, then you'd have a Job List, a WorkOrders List (child of Job), a WorkOrderLines List (child of WordOrders).

If you'd rather use Repeating Sections then I'll post the code that could get that structure working.

Comment

DavidK - yes I did realize quickly that I couldn't do what I wanted with repeating sections and have now changed trying to use Lists. But I cannot even get the first list to populate. It seems so simple and straightforward but I am missing something somewhere.

UXRun.JPG This is what the UX looks like - the top data shows the highlighted JOB OID which should then filter the work order LIST - but the list is always empty.

UXDesign.JPG This is the UX design - very simple and you can see I highlighted the text box (bound to data) that has the 'filtering' number that I need to filter the list.

ListArgument.JPG In the List I have this argument

listfilter.JPG And then use it as a filter for the list.

This should work? Or am I still missing a piece somewhere?

Comment

You can see that I do have data and the correct filter statement

ListFiltered.JPG

If I just put in the job oid of course I get the correct data

ShouldLook.JPG

Comment

It kinda seems that this should work out of the box... but when you realized what's actually going on it makes sense why it doesn't.

You have some Job Data controls.

You also have a List control depending on one of the Job Controls.

So... you run your UX and the Job Controls and List control get rendered.

Then data is passed into the Job Controls. The List control is already rendered. When it got rendered there was no data in JobOid. So... no data in the list.

It's a little bit of a timing thing.

So... put this code into your UX Client Side Event, onRenderComplete...

Code:
                  {dialog.object}.refreshListData('listName');
                  When the UX is rendered, refresh the List control. It will now pick up the Job data and grab the Work Order Header data.

In your next part... the Work Order Lines List control will have a Parent... the Work Order List control. And they will sync nicely.

Comment

DavidK is the BOMB! And you are correct - it all makes sense just as you described it! Thank you so much I can now move on!!!

Comment

Well one step forward and one back. I have added my second list and it does not pull any lines - it doesn't initially (because there is no row highlighted in the work order list?) and it doesn't when I click on a row. So I added the same code as above on Click of the work orders which then retrieves the lines. I have said that all of this is NOT update able but now when I close the UX It's telling me I need to save or Reset - so why does it think something has changed? The lists are unbound and not update able and the other text that is bound is also not update able.

Comment

You don't need to tell the Click of the Work Orders list to refresh data in the Lines List. There's a really fine line here.

In your Work Orders List, set the Return Value Type to Field and sets it's value to the field that is the key into the Lines List.

In your Work Order Lines List, set up another Argument that points to your Work Orders List, to that field that is being returned by the Work Orders List, and set up the Filter for the Lines List.

Next, in the Lines List, check the property Has Parent List, and set the value to the name of the WO List.

Now, when you change rows in the WO List, your WO Line List will be synced. The fine line is that Alpha is actually doing the refresh for you... kinda.

Next... in your WO List Properties, turn off Allow Null Selection. This will kind of force a Selection when the List is rendered.
                        Then, in the WO List, onSelect Event, put your method to refresh the Lines List data.

I'm not getting any message about Saving or Resetting.

Comment

By the way, you can do this with Repeating Sections, but it requires using XBasic code, and unbound 3rd level (and deeper) controls.

Comment

Thanks David. I have done all the steps and the UX just doesn't work as it should. I have checked all the settings I know to check and still get the warning about data being changed and the need to submit or reset. I may just need to decide that I can't quite do what I want and go more simply to accomplish what this website needs to be doing because I am running out of time.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

OK I am back to this again because I think this UX should be working and it is not and it is very frustrating and I am very reluctant to move on with Alpha Anywhere if I cannot get this to work. How can I trust anything to work? I did solve the problem with the UX thinking it needed to be reset or submitted - there was yet ONE more place to check read-only. I have created and deleted this ux multiple times because I am following the instructions, videos, etc and it just does not work as advertised. Very very simple. A set of controls bound to an SQL table. It is filtered to one record from the previous grid. The user is provided with a list of jobs on the grid and when they click the button next to the grid the UX opens with some information about the job showing on the controls. Then there is a LIST of work orders under it. I have told the list to use an argument and to set the argument at run-time based on the {Oid} that is a control for the job - this doesn't and never has worked - ever. Davidk had advised if I put a list refresh on the OnRenderComplete event then the work orders would come up and be filtered - they do. At this point this is ALL I have done. But if I close the UX and then go back to the job list and choose a DIFFERENT job, it opens the UX but filters the Work Orders based on the PREVIOUSLY opened job, not the new job that I just opened.

I know that I have to pay $149 to get support to look at this but I am losing faith that I'm really going to be able to use this program if I look at the videos, follow them and still cannot get things to work as they are supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                              X