Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unable to run server or open developer...lease expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to run server or open developer...lease expired

Even though I have a paid subscription through December 2015 this morning I got up to find that my production server had reverted to demo mode and when I attempted to open my Developer program I received the following:

Expired_Lease.JPG

This has been my one major fear and the nightmare scenario regarding the way Alpha requires their products to check-in with the licensing server. If the licensing server is down you are suddenly no longer able to use your products and if your application server has to restart then your clients are also left with no programming. This HAS to change if Alpha is to be used as a production system. As of 7:16am today I have NO applications running (application server says lease is expired) and I can't even open my Development software. I guess everything will just be down until I can hope to reach Alpha tech support sometime today and they resolve the issue. UNACCEPTABLE!
    Brad Weaver, President
    ComputerAid International
    Ottawa ON Canada
    Versailles KY USA
    www.compuaid.com

Re: Unable to run server or open developer...lease expired

same, none of my users can use the application today, this is urgent please Alpha.

Comment

In another thread when this licensing model was introduced (with the lease) I was ASSURED by Lenny that this exact scenario would not occur as I stated that my one big fear was that should the Alpha software for some reason be unable to phone home to the licensing server everything would drop dead and now here we are. This is one of the deal breaker scenarios that MUST be resolved or the ability to rely on Alpha as a production system is severely curtailed. I hope they can fix today's issue quickly and then release a patch that assures that this will not happen again. In the meantime I have to inform all of my customers that their paid applications will be unavailable with no specific timeline for restoring their functionality. That should be fun.

This also raises a critical question. In the future should Alphasoftware cease operations would that mean that none of the applications written in Alpha would work and none of the development systems we purchased be usable as they would not be able to reach the licensing server to confirm their status? That's a very scary scenario to place your business in and creates a very high liability issue. Alpha - please change the way this works so that we can continue forward with a great product unencumbered by worries over licensing handcuffs.
      Last edited by compuaid; 09-05-2014, 07:52 AM.
      Brad Weaver, President
      Ottawa ON Canada
      Versailles KY USA
      www.compuaid.com

Comment

I am having the same issue this morning! I am on a automatic monthly subscription renewal and this makes absolutely no sense! I am hoping that if we do not restart the Alpha server on our application server that it won't stop out there. I hope Alpha addresses this immediately! VERY annoying as I am up early to get some work done on my development. GRRRRRRR
        Carol King
        Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
        http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Same issue as well (currently running 27 instances across 7 dedicated servers). Alpha is aware and trying to address it right away.

In the meantime, setting the system clock back 1 day seems to temporarily resolve the issue.

Comment

I can't set the system clock back on my application server. That would result in incorrect timestamps on all SQL transactions. I did receive an email from Selwyn that they are aware of this issue and are working furiously to correct it which I appreciate.

My bigger concern remains that this scenario is even a possibility based on their current licensing system. I hope that this outage will be enough to make Alpha rethink their requirement that servers and development systems continuously check-in to remain active.

We need a ONE-TIME activation that records on the host system when the development software and server licenses expire. The software could check in regularly to see if a license renewal had resulted in an extension of this date and then change the stored license date to that date (if it is beyond the date already stored). Even if the software is unable to reach the licensing server the license end-date would still be stored in the registry or elsewhere allowing the development and/or application server to continue to work properly. Further, the licenses should be perpetual for the version you've purchased which means that you could not run a later version than your subscription entitles you to but you should be able to run the version through when your subscription expires regardless.
            Last edited by compuaid; 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM. Reason: formatting
            Brad Weaver, President
            Ottawa ON Canada
            Versailles KY USA
            www.compuaid.com

Comment

My development program just opened. Maybe Alpha has handled the issue?
              Carol King
              Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
              http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

It appears that the problem has been resolved.

Let's hope this is an eye-opener to Alpha to re-evaluate their licensing implementation. I have no problem with the subscription model, just the fact that any issue with the licensing server could cripple valid subscriptions.
                Brad Weaver, President
                Ottawa ON Canada
                Versailles KY USA
                www.compuaid.com

Comment

The issue is indeed corrected. Selwyn responded that a licensing server at Rackspace ran out of space and was therefore serving up expired leases. He also assures me that they will be working on a solution that should there be a future issue on their side of things would be totally benign to the end users. They recognize the seriousness of this issue and I believe they will come up with a solution to assure us that it won't recur.

I'll be watching the release notes for a future patch that addresses this problem.
                  Brad Weaver, President
                  Ottawa ON Canada
                  Versailles KY USA
                  www.compuaid.com

Comment

Re: Give all users currently using the app a message that we will be restarting server?

This license problem that keeps coming up is getting very tiresome and irritating. I still don't understand why the app server must reach out to Alpha's license servers all of the time. If a user has paid for a certain amount of time, say a year, then it seems to me the app server (and development program) shouldn't need to contact anything for that amount of time. ....end rant.
                    Mike Brown - Contact Me
                    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                    Programmatic-Technologies.com
                    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

This isn't the first time that this has happened. It's getting quite irritating.
                      Mike Brown - Contact Me

Comment

We have 4 servers down all current licenses. All servers have reverted to demo mode.
                        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                          We have 4 servers down all current licenses. All servers have reverted to demo mode.
                          I had to stop and restart two of our app servers when all this went down. Have you tried that?
                          Mike Brown - Contact Me

Comment

Yes - spoken with Alpha, they are going to figure what's wrong, i hope.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I also am all of the sudden running in demo mode for all instances of the WAS. Very frustrating and looks poorly on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X