Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Any input about what causes slowdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any input about what causes slowdown?

I now have many more of my users using my CHS application on the web and we really experience a big slowdown from mid morning to end of work day. My structure is such that my users all have access to my legacy Access application via Remote Desktop Connection and Terminal Services. For now, I have to keep my new web application on the same server because it accesses the same back end database for each customer as the Access application. I think that the number of users logging on to our servers via Terminal Services is actually what causes a big part of the web slow down.... Does anyone have knowledge that will verify this assumption?

My main question, though, is this.... When users log on via RDC / Terminal Services to use my old Access application, it means that their back end Access database is opened and remains open. Is it possible that when the web application needs to retrieve or update data in that back end database, it is slowed down because the file is open? I know the web application goes there, opens it, does what it needs, and then closes it. But the front end Access application that is linked to the back end data file (one for each customer) may already have the file open. I hope I'm making sense. I'm just asking these questions because I'd like to feel like we will probably have increased speed once I am able to move everything to the web on another server (if I EVER get done developing all the logic!)

My application is a very heavy duty job costing and accounting application, so there will always be a lot of callbacks to the server. I think that there are anywhere from 20 to 40 users using the web application within the same hour during the work day right now.

Any general thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Re: Any input about what causes slowdown?

Carol,

A simple way to see if it's a lack of resources on the terminal server or Alpha WAS is to open up the task manager when the slow-down occurs and see if there are any bottlenecks. For more in-depth information and analytics you can open the resource monitor. Media consumption (I include operating an internet browser in "Media Consumption") on a terminal server is a frustrating experience. Sometimes a more light weight browser such as Google Chrome can improve the experience but that could definitely be the issue. A lack of resources on the TS...The fact that they are using the browser inside of a terminal services session. Where is your server hosted? How much bandwidth has been allocated for your server? What are the specs on your TS and WAS? If you are using a hosting service such as Zebra Host they should be able to give you how much bandwidth you're using during the slow down to see if that could be the issue. Lot of variables.

Comment

I also don't know how well Access for a back-end scales? Can you access the web version of your app outside of the terminal server?

Comment

This is a screenshot of our server config at Rackspace: image.jpg

Around 250 users, maybe 50-60 in any one hour on old app via RDC / Terminal Services. My customers use CHS all day long to run their businesses. When they log on to the web version, they do not go through terminal services. They just use their browsers. When they log on to my old Access app, they do so via a Remote Desktop Connection and Terminal Services (not a browser). It is all on a Windows 2008 server at Rackspace. I need Windows 2008 because later ones don't play well with Access Runtime version I need for my older Access app. I have to keep my back end databases for each client in Access for now.
        Carol King

Comment

Josh, we know how to use Task Manager to look at performance and resources and it keeps looking ok to us. The most memory is used by the front end Access application. Every user has their own front end Access application. One thing we notice is that Alpha does not make use of all of our server threads (is that right terminology?). Looks like it just uses a couple of them. We can watch those spike to the top and stay a bit when we send a large data request from Alpha web app to the server.
          Carol King

Comment

Sorry Carol,

I try not to assume and some of my suggestions are definitely at a basic level and I know it can sound condescending when someone makes those types of suggestions but I don't mean it that way!

Server looks robust. My only question there would be how large is your pipe as in what is your max speed? Where I've COLO'd there were different tiers. 5MB Asynchronous or 10mb Asynchronous and so on. I see that 2000GB is the amount of bandwidth you can use before you are charged an additional amount but that doesn't tell me the speed of the connection. I'd be curious to know if you have a limit in speed that is causing the slow-down.

Does the WAS run on the array that uses SSD's, which array hosts your DB?

I think a single version of WAS should be able to handle 20-40 users but I'll have to look back to see if that is the case. Do you have logging enabled on the WAS? I'll think more on this.
            Last edited by coleresources; 09-18-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I wish I could partner with someone who knows about this stuff (and javascript) and has time to focus on it for me. I'm so bogged down getting all the logic written and Alpha components (100's and 100's now) needed for full migration away from my Access app. I pay a server technician to manage the server and help my users with connection issues, but he is contract and too busy to give full focus to this. I have't encouraged or sought new customers because I don't want to explain all this double stuff to them so the income right now is not really enough to pay someone to do spend the time for me. I keep thinking I need a partner who would get involved for future reward...
              Carol King

Comment

Not sure what 'logging enabled' means. I don't use Alpha security and users. I have my own method for that.
                Carol King

Comment

I would definitely be interested in talking to you about partnering with you. As you know I have been working for a homebuilder and am probably going to start consulting again within the next few weeks. Let's talk! I understand "Infrastructure" and have supported it on an enterprise scale and have worn many other hats as well. I see the value in what you do and think I could add value to it! It's funny you said that!

Comment

WAS logs can give you information about potential performance issues as well. It's not only utilized for security purposes.

Comment

Bandwidth should not be a direct problem unless the legacy Access apps has a lot of remote printing jobs * #users.
                      There could be a issue with the page locks inside the JET engine sleep proces() it has a default value of 50.
                      It means every time a record is updated or created there is a page lock in the system page memory as Acces has no knowlegde of record locks
                      If a TDS user and webapps use the same local database pending on the transaction statements that might rise the number of page locks and exceed the sleep time for each lock page request.
                      Change to a few settings at the OS level Windows R2 might help see for details http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._25091616.html. <<In the middle to end of the page>>.
                      Further notic that enough RAM is available how to calculate what is needed for best performance consult your administrator provider.
                      Microsoft acknowledge about performane JET engine and what ODBC drivers should be used 32 or 64 bit of your OS type.
                      So the answer might be in change setting how the Jet Engine responses by user process. At last I assume you handle the transactions at the WAS well by closing the connection.
                      BTW did you update to AAV3 that will run your webapps into 64 bit mode it will have more RAM available to handle user request and faster response from the WAS.

Comment

Reports and printing are a huge part of providing a job cost and accounting solution, so, yes, the Terminal Service users are busily opening and printing reports all day. I do close connection in all functions, etc. in WAS. I updated to a pre-release that was issued not too long before the official AaV3. Since I saw some people having licensing issues, etc., with the new 3 version, I decided to wait a bit. Will probably get latest pre release later today or tomorrow and test it locally a few days. I THINK I might already have a version that runs in 64 bit mode because of that August prerelease I have. Whew, I sure am uncomfortable with all the hardware side of things. Mostly lost. Eric, I will get someone more savvy than me to interpret what you posted. :)
                        Carol King

Comment

If you need more info let me know,, further ask your self these question since when do these problem occure how was the system response before what was altered and where in the system. Just a hint systems behavior changes always have a logical reason [ most cases:grinn] try to analyse the before and after system responses are change between our A and B <in time line>.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                            I THINK I might already have a version that runs in 64 bit mode because of that August prerelease I have
                            Just to be clear, as far as I know there is not a 64bits version of the Alpha Web Server (AWS), they are simply using a compile directive to allow the server to use up to 4 GB of memory but that is not the same to say it is a 64bits application.

Carol, you have a very impressive server, without taking a look at the AWS log files I could say that the fact that you are using Access database for everything, your RDC and Terminal Server the common point of failing is your database. If possible reboot your server to see if that clears any lagging connections.

I don't know the details of your application, you mention having many customers, so I guess you are using a single database for all your customers, right?. I have experience moving applications to new environments and platform, if you don't have a carefully planned path you may end up having to maintain a dual application longer than expected and that is a real nightmare.

If you want to talk, please send me your phone information via a private message to my email [email protected], sometimes a brief talk is enough to clarify issues.
                            Edhy Rijo
                            Progytech
                            (Computer Consultants)
                            The makers of CardTracking.Net
                            www.progytech.com

Comment

In Carols situation each customer has it's own database that's the Access db used frontend Access by TDS and A5 for webapps by dynamic connection, just to make it clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X