Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

display logical field as checkbox in a list control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: display logical field as checkbox in a list control

Attached is my dumbed down component and a way-scaled down Access mdb with a table and a query (view). The list control in the component is connected to the view because that view includes a field to use as logical for changing the field PAID_STATUS back and forth between TO PAY and UNPAID. The checkbox shows checked if PAID_STATUS = TO PAY and unchecked if PAID_STATUS = UNPAID. Basically, my users are selecting bills to pay with the check box. They don't see that PAID_STATUS field.

I have gone ahead and included my test button at the top of the component that loops through the list control and gets primary key values for the checked and then for the unchecked checkboxes, then does an ajax callback to an xbasic function that updates the table accordingly. For testing, I have a couple of text boxes on the component to show the primary key values (entry numbers) that the javascript looping captures.

Just as an aside, you will see that I am capturing errors when connecting, or running the sql statements, and then calling a js function that has a nice message box with info about the error and what the user should do. Just as a point of curiosity, you might want to try making the connection or the sql statements fail and check out the message.

CHSTestCheckbox.zip
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

The only change is to the List Layout for PaidStatusYesNo... adding in the stopPropagation stuff.

ZZZ_TestCheckboxesInListControl_1.zip

Comment

Thx, David. I am away from computer and may not try it till tomorrow morn and will let you know.
        Carol King

Comment

David, it's better now on Ipad, but it is unstable. By that, I mean I can click the checkboxes and they respond for the first couple, sometimes more, and then they quit responding to clicks OR there is very random response. Also tried it on Windows 10 touch screen, and it does not do well there using touch.
          Carol King

Comment

Hey Carol,

I'm not seeing any unusual behaviour.

Unsure what you mean by better. Did it work at all before? Before the use of $e.stopPropagation() there was no response at all. It's possible that the setTimeout value needs to be adjusted for your use... or your iPad... unsure.

I just hammered away at the checkboxes for a couple of minutes and no issues. If I miss tapping the checkbox control, the row gets selected... but that's me not hitting the checkbox control.

Maybe Selwyn can help you out further.

Comment

I will mess with the timer and see what happens.
              By better, I meant that it did not work at all before. Anyway, it works great on pc, so I will probably advise my clients to use the feature on pc's, and maybe give them something later for their touch devices. Will probably end up leaving my previous grid in place and give them a choice between the grid (if on touch) and ux (if on pc), blah, blah.
              Thanks so much for your help, David.
              Carol King

Comment

I probably wouldn't use a Checkbox control on a mobile device. I'd use a Switch Control instead... but I'm not sure what is available to you at your Alpha build level.

Comment

I don't see anywhere on my build to put a switch control on a list control. It is not in list of input types that drop down for a template, and it is not in the list when you click Add Item on the fields tab of the list control. Do you have the ability to put a switch control on a list control in your build, David?
                  Carol King

Comment

I believe that being able to easily put a switch control on a list control was added to some build at the end of August or September 2017. I remember because it was related to a feature request that I submitted to Alpha shortly before.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                      I don't see anywhere on my build to put a switch control on a list control. It is not in list of input types that drop down for a template, and it is not in the list when you click Add Item on the fields tab of the list control. Do you have the ability to put a switch control on a list control in your build, David?
                      Yes... actually you can apply a Control Type to a Field in the List Control... and that Control Type can be RadioButtons, CheckBoxButtons, Switch, etc... and their use and selection depends on the data type in the field.

But... that's why I wrote that I wasn't sure what is available to you at your Alpha build.

Comment

Yep, I see the info about a switch control in a list control in this video: https://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V...ntroltypes.swf

It IS in a later build than I have so maybe I'll bit the bullet some day in the future and update when I am in a less bizzy condition. Thanks!
                        Carol King

Comment

David, I just went to look at the timer in my javascript function clickCheckbox on my real component. I realized that my real component is different from one I sent you in one way... I have an additional line in the function that sets the value in a textbox to Yes, so that I can detect if user has clicked checkboxes and make sure the update gets done before user moves off the component. I had that line at the first of the function, so since I was thinking about timing, I moved the line to the end of the function after the If stuff. Then I tested on ipad and the checkboxes seem to be behaving perfectly. Does it make sense that moving that line of code could make the difference?

Below is my js function now. Previously I had that last line as the first line of the function.
                          Code:
                          function clickCheckbox(row){
                          	var currState = $('checkbox'+row).checked;

{dialog.Object}.__checkRow = row;

if (currState == true){
                          		setTimeout("$('checkbox'+{dialog.Object}.__checkRow).checked=true;",50);

} else	{
                          		setTimeout("$('checkbox'+{dialog.Object}.__checkRow).checked=false;",50);

}

{dialog.object}.setValue('NEEDS_CHECKBOXES_UPDATE','Yes');
                          }
                          Carol King

Comment

Here is a solution for a "switch" (but it is actually a stylized checkbox to be made to look like a switch) in a list.
                            I don't believe you would need to update your build version.

checkboxTest.a5wcmp

The included products list is based off the Northwind.mdb

Comment

Unsure... I don't know what else is happening regarding the setValue.

Did the component I sent back work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by jgrannis View Post
                                Here is a solution for a "switch" (but it is actually a stylized checkbox to be made to look like a switch) in a list.
                                I don't believe you would need to update your build version.

[ATTACH]44725[/ATTACH]

The included products list is based off the Northwind.mdb
                                Hi Jeff, I downloaded your component. Thanks! That looks great if using the Detail View for a list control and I'm going to keep your example. Thanks!
                                I'm not using the Detail View in the list control I'm working. My users just want to run down my list very quickly, and do check marks and not have any delay to do a callback, or a submit, before they do the next check mark. So David's solution for that 'live' checkbox is a good one for me.
                                Carol King

Comment

Working...
                                X