Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedded Object needs manual "reload" to display on phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded Object needs manual "reload" to display on phone

A phone app I'm developing starts with a panel_applicationnavigator, which includes a panel_login card and a panel_application card. This panel application card holds a single embedded object, a UX component that provides a dropdown with "account" choices and a choice of two buttons, which when clicked send the user to either of two panels consisting of lists set up for disconnected operations.

After logging in on the (Android) phone, I get what seems like a blank screen and it doesn't change. If I hit "reload" on the phone browser, I quickly get the filled-out login panel and then the embedded object UX component I want to see.

This did not happen before, only since I changed the panels to lists for disconnected operations, as far as I remember, has this occurred. I get the same result from the app loaded as a PhoneGap app, which I eventually need this to be, since being able to start the app in that disconnected state (the app involves property inspection and picture taking, and some locations are not or poorly accessible for mobile phone access) is required.

Any ideas on what this might be about? Thanks!

For the Embedded Object Properties, I have the following settings: (If no property is shown, it is blank or default setting.)

Show mode: When page is loaded
    Object type: Component
    Break: After

In Panel Card Properties:
    Fill Panel Card Container and Delay Render till visible are both checked.

Component Definition: - all defaults, except of course for Component name

Security Groups - set properly, like the other components

Re: Embedded Object needs manual "reload" to display on phone

Guess nobody else has had this problem...weird. Doesn't matter which component I use as the 'Embedded Object", even a simple sample UX component has the same effect.

Comment

I have the same problem. Every time I login mobile or browser it redirects with blank screen. a refresh then launches the correct page. There must be a server side refresh that is missing.

Comment

CCL Admin, just wanted to let you know I solved my problem with the embedded object due to something I saw on one of Selvin's videos - and I haven't seen it anywhere else. A component with an embedded object needs to have an actual web page, an .a5w page or it will not function properly. Once I just saved my component to an .a5w page and published it, it all worked. Although I am having problems again with this; I think it has to do with Web Security settings as well. That is another piece of work, since there are two ways to do THAT as well.

Wish that was all it took to solve my other problems...this is so much work, and the documentation, outside of the videos, is not very useful, IMHO (I am being kind here). The amount of specific, case-by-case detail one needs to know to make anything more than the simplest functionality work is staggering. I'm guessing Alpha doesn't do well enough in sales to afford real documentation efforts. The videos are great but seem to solve very specific problems and don't generalize well.

Comment

Simon, thanks for your info, unfortunately I still have the same problem as I did create a .a5w and it still doesn't work. You are spot on with your view of the lack of Alpha's ability to post relevant documentation as to real world application's and training. It takes forever to work your way through troubleshooting these things. Their lack of effort to maintain up to date documentation is keeping them from being better than just a bellow average company. They have yet to meet my expectations, and I hope their management reads and take to heart these comments so maybe, just maybe they could better post real world up to date documentation and videos that show how they actually got things to work. Don't get me wrong as I like AlphaAnywhere, but it could be so much more if they dedicated more resources to documentation and videos. (Score; AlphaAnywhere C+ , documentation D-)

Comment

Doing anything complicated (that's a relative thing of course), changes Alpha from being easy to frustrating. It's worth the effort as Alpha fills gaps that would cost many times more done any other way.

So where does that leave you, frustrated because the thing you want to do isn't easily searchable for on the web. How to fix this? Alpha's videos are a good start, an even better start is finding a developer who will write exactly what you want and show you how to do it (mentor you).

Once you have a working example of how to do the various things that are abstract (ajaxcallbacks, pointers to parent objects, disconnected applications, etc) from your interactions with a person you like working with, you'll find your productivity will skyrocket. Don't give up.

Comment

Thanks, Clint. One of the problems a lot of us face are the fact that the videos, while excellent, are almost always done within the development environment, and then we get to the live environment and get tripped up (usually that is a security or access issue not faced in the dev env, but not always.) I've worked really hard, watching videos, paying for instructional videos from Twin Peaks, but again most of the examples and training illustrations wind up being one-of; the lack of generalization is a killer. I fought for weeks with problems getting a photo into my database when all of a sudden it worked properly due to an AA12 update - and that update wasn't even described before hand, it just "showed up" one day. All my time wasted, chasing a bug.

Sometimes I take days and figure something out, it works, maybe I'm not sure why, maybe I think I do understand it, and then I make another change and boom! My fix-before-this is gone.

Is there, anywhere, a clear and complete set of examples and how-tos having to do with session variables in AA? There seem to be more conditions, differences and gotchas in this area than there are stars in the sky :(

I have shrunk the app I have been working on for many, many months (I am about to be tortured by the poor folks for whom I am doing this) down to a login page, a single component with 4 panel cards, and their associated a5w pages. This is a mobile app used to take photos and record text about physical repairs and maintenance into a MySQL database and generates two different reports (one-of and recurring) to be sent by email from the phones. Because it needs to work disconnected, there is the appropriate list. I have a little more work to do with how the already-entered-record list shows in the phone, but everything else works, but nothing..works...at the same time!

Today, because I created a totally new version, I need to re-use the AlphaDAO connection string, but am unable to enter the string into the profile for the server version. I get "Property not found atemp.arrVars[] subelement not found." Huh? Look that up in the "Documentation" and I find..nothing close. If I look up AlphaDAO in the "Documentation" I get what looks like a hundred topics to choose from, from V9, V10, V10.5, V11.

So, I am looking to PAY SOMEONE to help me get this project over with...shouldn't be too hard if you have the loads of experience many of you have.

Any takers???
              Last edited by simonjm; 05-06-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Is your app staying as a web app running on a phone... or do you plan on going through PhoneGap Build for an installable app?

Do you mean you've got a login page and its a5w page and a component and its a5w page? If so, then you're probably be better off using the integrated login functionality of the UX component.
                Last edited by Davidk; 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Hi David; it has been and will be again a PhoneGap Build, as soon as I can get it working on the server. I've got that working before; you've actually been helpful on that, in that beginnings of this project. Like being able to get a simple connection string working...

Comment

Sorry, missed the 2nd part of your question...my login page is a UX component, and the other component is embedded in the login component...that seemed to make the most sense. And it needs to be a PhoneGap build, because the connection breaks pretty easy and often when the users are, and so the newer (late 2014) capability of disconnected app is essential, and AFAIK that REQUIRES PhoneGap or something like it.

Comment

Since you're using PGB and want run the app disconnected then you cannot use embedded objects. Use integrated login and ensure everything is in one UX. You'll need a connection to log in and after that you can go offline.

Comment

OK, so I redid this. Again. Simplified a bit, can add on pieces later. So I have everything in one UX, with integrated login, but no embedded objects. One index.a5w, that contains the entire, single web component, because I need an a5w page, even though this will only be a PG app. Right so far?
                        After entering username and pw clicking the Login button executes {dialog.object}.login(), it doesn't appear that the {dialog.object}.panelSetActive('PANEL_APPLICATION') executes. If I add that to the login button, it does get to the PANEL_APPLICATION code but then returns to login after a few seconds. I have the index.a5w "always allowed" and the component "requires login".
                        It seems that "no embedded objects" forcing "everything in one component for PG" rule creates some difficulties, certainly in my understanding. I don't see it explained anywhere that I can find, but then again this is not unusual.

Comment

Working...
                        X