Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

FormView editorCommit: Purpose of Editor Set Argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FormView editorCommit: Purpose of Editor Set Argument

I'm always two cycles "behind the curve".

OI started to work with FormViews in a mobile application and came across the following issue: I have a FormView based on a List (SQL source), and an Editor Set for the fields on the Form. Following the Sample FormView Mobile App, each Editor appears on a screen with a "Save" and "Cancel" button at the bottom (I don't have an individual S&C set for the Editor) and Navigation buttons at the top. The "Save" button code is {dialog.Object}.editorCommit(EDITORSETNAME). What I THOUGHT would happen is that I could cycle forward and backward in the Editor set, entering values, then hit the Save and ALL the individual editor's values would be saved back to the Form. What I am finding is that when I navigate forward or backward, the value entered in the Editor is discarded, and the "Save" button only commits the data in the current Editor. To get the behavior I want I need to check the "AutoCommit" option of the EditorSet.

So my question is: Why have an EDITORSETNAME option in the editorCommit? If I AutoCommit (or, what is the same thing, save each Editor as I enter data) then I don't need it. If I don't AutoCommit then the only thing that will be saved is the current Editor, which is the same as if I specified just an individual EditorName as an argument to editorCommit. The only thing I can think of is Group Editing, but I'm not sure if that's the sole reason. I sure have searched the Documentation (and Videos) and see nothing about this.

Any info would be appreciated.

Norman

Have you set your editor up as a group editor, or is it one field at a time? Either way, the save button should be set to return to your form view, and the form view save field should be set to return to the list, where you can have a Sync button to commit the edits to the list. What happens when you hit save in your editor?

Comment

There are no group editors, and there's no problem with the action after hitting "Save"; the CURRENT Editor field is saved back to the form and it goes back to the List. The issue is that there are, say, 4 fields on the form and when I tap on the first, the Editor for the first field is displayed, but if I then hit "Next", the value I entered for that first field is discarded. I can confirm this in one of two ways: If I hit Previous after entering a value into Editor #2, Editor #1 is blank. Or, if I hit "Save" when I'm on the screen with Editor #2, the value I entered for Editor #2 is saved back to the form but not the value I entered for Editor #1. Of course if I AutoCommit then everything's OK, but then what Alpha is saying (again, if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing) is that each Editor value has to be saved individually before moving on to the next one. I guess that's why they provide buttons for the FormView defined controls (e.g. TextBox) but, again, why have an option to commit an Editor Set?

Maybe I'm being too picky. :)

Thanks for the post.

Comment

There is a method to do group editors, but it requires a little more work to set up an array. On the single field edit, I just tried it out on one of mine and I could edit, hit Next, edit, and so on, then hit Save. It takes you back to the Form and hit Save there, which takes you back to the list. There you can sync all saved fields. It is working on mine so without seeing your UX it would be hard to fix. Can you post a copy of your UX, maybe on with just static date?

Comment

dcmcm5: Does your Editor set have "Auto Commit" checked?

I saw the video on Editor Groups, given I have a regular text box, drop down and time edits mixed it may be more trouble than it's worth. But I think the people who are going to use the app EVENTUALLY will catch on that "Cancel" doesn't really cancel their edits and "Save" only saves the last one.

Comment

Sorry, I was just trying to help. Yes, my editor set has auto commit checked. It has a textbox editor, a spin list editor for dates, a star editor and a list editor. I went through a full set of items making changes and hitting the next button, and got to the end hit save and then saved the form, and sync'd the list. Everything worked, so not sure why your UX doesn't. I would generally hit save just as a precaution to make sure but it works without it. This is connected to a Sql database.

Comment

I know, I hope I didn't give you the impression I wasn't appreciative, I certainly am.

On the bright side, at least you didn't say your AutoCommit WASN'T checked. That would have been bizarre. :) Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X