Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Receive Email in Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receive Email in Alpha

It looks like it is possible to receive email in Alpha. That email appears to go into a DBF table.

Is there any way for it to go to a SQL table instead?

I am talking here about using the email profiles on the server, as I will need several email addresses to be captured.

My client wants a CRM like system that can send/receive email to/from clients. The send part is easy, it's the receive I'm not sure how to do.

Note: This is a web based system, not Desktop.

Lary

Re: Receive Email in Alpha

Haven't tried it Larry, but I wonder if you could just make the DBFs into active link tables - it seems that would put your data into the SQL tables instead.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Here is an solution that could help http://www.dbmail.org/. For SQLSERVER google for ParkerSoftware (UK) there package is mail2db starting at $600,00
      I don't think it's smart to use A5 as a mailserver and overload the appserver with that type of taks. Simple use the A5 UI in your app to connect to the mail db storage database.

Comment

Larry, because we talked about it earlier, don't think Mandrill is a solution because it does not "receive" email. It is just the SMTP server that passes it along. If you do use Alpha you will need to find the function that grabs email from the POP address and run that function on a CRON schedule like every 10 minutes. As others have said, that pushes the email to a DBF table stored by default way out in the Windows Users folders. I dunno, I would rather not use Alpha for this just because it seems fragile and outdated, don't have any proof for that. I would rather use a modern Email Server that stored email in SQL tables and then incorporate that into your application. MailEnable is the only email server I have worked with in the past.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Yes, I could make the dbf file an active link table, but I really hate to do it that way.

I'm going to agree with everyone else that maybe using Alpha as the mail server is a bad idea, simply because it has enough to do already. I'll look into other mail servers that can store to db automatically.

Once its in a db, I can simply read it from there in Alpha no doubt.

Comment

Another option is just to embed something like Gmail or similar and NOT actually bring the emails "into" Alpha. Unless you have some specific reason they need to be in a database close to your application, I bet this embedding method is a lot easier.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

hMailServer is an excellent choice. Lots of security settings and rules to block spam. It connects to various anti-spam servers and has built in anti-virus capability. It also saves data to mySql. The messages are stored on disk in a separate file. You can get one of several webmail servers, I use Roundcube Webmail, and you've got full fledged email system. You can always use pop and imap with outlook or thunderbird, etc. Keep in mind that you have to make sure that you have your server set up so that the servers receiving your emails can do a reverse dns lookup, no dynamic IPs, or your emails get rejected.
              Last edited by frankbicknell; 06-02-2015, 07:57 PM.
              Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

I use context.io. You can setup a webhook, so when a new email is received to any email server, context.io reads the data and send it to a a5w page, that I use to write the mysql record. It is a free service and very powerful.

Comment

ProcessThem does the very basics for cheap; GeniusConnect pulls emails from Outlook on your server into a database. I've used both quite successfully.

Comment

Working...
                  X