Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Jim Coltz Calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Coltz Calendar

I got an after dialog subelement error after updating to AA 8245 and Jim was kind enough to help me move a few lines of code in the ondialoginit section to dim the variables there first - but there is another issue with state variables when you go to perform a delete using the supplied function. Jim believes this has to do with the recent change in the data types of state variables (knowing Jim he's probably spot on)
    So my question is "anyone else having an issue with this, and were you able to fix it?"

His delete function calls another which involves recurring events - and of course uses lost of state variables. The function fails, no error message but a lot could be learned I am sure with a debug(1) but I was hoping someone else found an easy quick fix to make my life easier today, lol
    thanks in advance!

NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

too bad we couldn't just say with a check mark in properties......THIS UX likes its state vars to be all char types...
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I just tried a delete operation and confirm it is no longer working. No error .. just nothing happens.
      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

I can post the fix Jim sent me to fix the delete part but if you use recurring rules that introduces a need for an additional code change for edits. The delete fix is basically just commenting out about 4 lines and then putting those same lines further down after the state var is dimmed.
        The function for the recurring rules, again needs something done but Jim nor I have figured out the whole thing to correct it

Comment

Comment out the lines in yellow and then paste them (uncommented of course ) in the highlighted (selected-blue) area that will fix the EDIT issue.
          Jim sent me a great video explaining it but basically the state vars need to be dimmed here instead of where they were before - this only applies to AA release 8245
          as far as we know. This would be in the OnDialoginitilize section of the form to edit an event
          This worked for me...
          This does not help with the DELETE function I misspoke on the earlier post
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm not having issues with edits and I don't use recurring rules. So for me it seems to be just the Delete function is not working.
            Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

I don't have any problem with edits and I don't use recurring rules. So the only think that doesn't seem to work for me any more is Delete.

Comment

I guess you could write a simple xbasic function like this and make your own delete button routine to handle it...

Code:
                function mydelete as c (e as p)
                dim mydelete as c
                dim cn as sql::Connection
                dim args as sql::Arguments
                if e.datasubmitted.id<>""
                args.Add("eventID",e.datasubmitted.id)

sqldel = "DELETE FROM your_database.your_table WHERE the_mapped_id = :eventID"

cn.open("::Name::Connection1")
                cn.execute(sqldel,args)
                cn.close()
                end if
                end function
                I am not a big fan of deletes, and my application only shows the info if the company_id matches so I just edit that by way of UPDATE instead of the DELETE FROM sql which makes it appear it is gone instead of deleting the row. You should also run the calendar refresh js action afterwards .

Also btw, this was Jims emailed repsonse to me:

If you're not using recurring rules you can just create your own delete by having Alpha delete the record from the UX. You'll need to use a javascript action to create the code. It will look something like this:

{dialog.object}.deleteRecord({nextRecordToShow: '',confirmation: true,serverSideCanDeleteFunction: '',serverSideAfterDeleteFunction: '',listsToRefresh: [],primaryKeySource: 'explicit',explicitPrimaryKey: {dialog.object}.getValue('ID')});

You can also call the refresh_calendar(e); function after the delete to refresh the calendar.
                I of course went my own way...still not sure what to do about the recurring events yet...
                I guess I will have to find the future appointments and edit/delete those in the same function but thats a job for another day! Luckily not many people are using them - soooo.

Comment

Thanks for the info Charles.

I didn't realize that Jim is no longer selling his calendar. It has been a truly stellar add on feature for Alpha and has always been absolutely rock solid!

Comment

Agreed - It's an excellent addition to AA - I guess it was just too much of a hassle to offer support and keep it updated. I am dam glad to have purchased it and without a doubt Jim has been a real rock star to deal with when I wanted to do some customizing of it myself. I wish he would consider updating it for sale again - I would buy a new and improved version...even if it was the same damned thing that works with the latest version of AA with like say two years support. whatever though it's his choice and like I said I am glad to have gotten it when he offered it - I love the danged thing!

Comment

I love Jim's calendar as well!

I am wondering though, is there any recent word on when, or if, Alpha will be releasing their new calendar?

I am hoping to find a calendar that supports swipe and drag functions on a mobile device - does anyone have any info on this?
                      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

As you guys can see from the two screenshots below, Alpha changed the way they handle state variables for some reason. Build 8000 (the one I'm currently on), top screen shot, sends all of the state variables in the Contetx.Request.Variables._state object. In build 8301, bottom screenshot, the only state variable being passed is the listcontrols object. All the other variables are contained in the _stateInfoJSON object, something that doesn't exist in build 8000.

his looks like a bug to me but I am way past reporting this type of thing. For now I'm sticking with build 8000 and if I have to move on later I'll make the necessary changes to my own code to accommodate the new "feature".

Build 8000 state_info.png8301

Build 8301 state_info.png
                        Jim Coltz
                        Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
                        A5CustomSolutions.com
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
                          I am wondering though, is there any recent word on when, or if, Alpha will be releasing their new calendar?

I asked Selwyn mid-July this very thing. His response ...

the calendar is largely complete. all that remains to be done is some genies to help users set it up
                          Mike Brown - Contact Me
                          Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                          Programmatic-Technologies.com
                          Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

well from what I can see it's simply a view of a list control, my guess is that it's similar to a template. Either way, I have been so pleased with Jim's - I think I saw something in the latest release addressing state vars and hope that will fix the current issue.

Comment

Working on a fully dynamic - xbasic free build, just the Viewbox and SQL and templates, all management configurable client-side on the way in - just thought I'd share, their will be some JavaScript but at this time there is none. So if you have a wish list now the time to let me know if you are interested, decided to build my own as I can have unlimited view and developer can just add what they want - and no List control or Grid involved - flies along. Tiny 250k published UX. Slots are easily defined, per user, per entity etc. I'm also adding to my Hybrid User Management Console. - nothing but Vb's.

I remember going to see Cat Stevens at a concert and he said he loved the Beatles music but he struggled to play it - so he wrote his own songs - nothing to learn.. Sounds good to me,
                              Pete

https://www.screencast.com/t/7gEoF8YECJ

ps. I loved Jim's Calendar and him, wonderful man and product, but need Mobile interaction - good work Jim, thanks, served me well.

Pete
                              Last edited by peteconway; 09-19-2022, 04:50 AM.
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                              X