Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Change SQL select statement in a list control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change SQL select statement in a list control

Hi everyone

I need to dynamically change the initial SQL select of a list control , dependent on which grid its called from

My “main” filter is

SELECT Booking_id, clerk_added, Enquiry_expiry_date, Booking_date, Client_ID, Lead_surname, Adults, Children, Infants,Date_of_Travel, Status, Duration, Destination, Enquiry_cost FROM View_bookings WHERE Status = 'Enquiry'

I then need

SELECT Booking_id, clerk_added, Enquiry_expiry_date, Booking_date, Client_ID, Lead_surname, Adults, Children, Infants,Date_of_Travel, Status, Duration, Destination, Enquiry_cost FROM View_bookings WHERE Status = 'Enquiry' and client_id = :client_id

And

SELECT Booking_id, clerk_added, Enquiry_expiry_date, Booking_date, Client_ID, Lead_surname, Adults, Children, Infants,Date_of_Travel, Status, Duration, Destination, Enquiry_cost FROM View_bookings WHERE Status = 'Enquiry# and clerk_added = :clerk_added

Is this possible ?

If I select arguments in the properties of the button calling the UX I dont see them appear unless I add them as primary keys .. however if I do that then the relationship with a child grid does not work

thanks on advance

John

Hi John,
    I do this often with view boxes but haven’t tried with lists.
    My guess is that it can be done.
    Gregg
    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Hello John,

I may be missing something critical (really possible), but I am not seeing why this wouldn’t work with arguments, since it appears your select statement is uniform in its columns. I have setup several arguments before like I think you are describing and set them based on what I want from the list. Step 1 is figuring out why your arguments aren’t showing when you call the UX. Then step 2 is ensuring that your select statement will blank out for one’s you don’t want. I use Navicat to play with that, then move it over.

If you must change the underlying sql statement, one path would be to use a view, then call different stored procedures or programmability to change the view, leaving your ux intact with the same view each time. I’ve never done that, but heard rumors and folk tales of people doing it :)

If you want to post up the ux being called, I am sure someone here can quickly look at it and see if there is a reason arguments aren’t showing.

Wayne

Comment

Hi Wayne,

Yeah it is a puzzle at the moment I am filtering it client side but it shows all the records first then executes the client side filter

The UX is called from a Grid , on the grid there is the My Enquiries button , this is where I need to add argurments etc

I have attached both

Thanks and hopefully someone can illustrate the error

cheers

john
        Attached Files

Comment

Typically there is a way around this without changing the entire SQL statement, but if you do in fact want to merely append some different filter to a list dynamically, you can use the list's "Server side beforeQuery event" property. The Xbasic function prototype they provide is helpful, but basically you'd write something like:
          Code:
          e.sql = e.sql + "your new WHERE condition"
          . You don't have to append to you original query (represented by e.sql), you could change the entire thing if you want.

Comment

Hi
            That looks great will give it a go
            thanks for the advice
            cheers

john

Comment

Hi sorry

I need to add the where clauses as session variables, so can I use arguments in the xbasic for the session variables, or do I need to add them in the where clause

if so do you know the syntax , not done that for ages

thanks

Comment

Hi John,

I quickly took a look. Good stuff in alot of your code. Looks like you are pushing towards the list and away from the grid a bit and doing in phases. Good call.
                The reason all the arguments were not showing is due to some being set to be populated by variables. Thus Alpha figures you dont need to change that on open.
                When I changed another one to set at runtime, it shows up as well. I would encourage the use of state variables vs session variables, but that just my preference.
                If you PM me your email address, I will send you a UX I have based on a sql northwinds that has a couple decent examples of pushing values around state and to arguments, as well as quickly seeing those values for debug.
                On a side note, I would encourage the use of aliases on your UXs that are opened. DefaultAlias does indeed work and Alpha will then set it for you, but there are other circumstances down road as you keep pushing further down the rabbit hole that you may want to call them from the parent and such that having the habit of giving the alias is a better mode.
                I just use standard naming conventions for ease. Such as EMBED_UX_DISPLAYENQUIRIES or maybe what it is and where being called. My two cents.

Args.png

Grid UX Button.png

Comment

Hi Wayne sent over
                  let me know if you don’t receive it
                  thanks
                  john

Comment

I know there's been a lot of time in between but today was busier than usual at the office.
                    I believe the code below accomplishes what you wanted.
                    You are free to use any xbasic if/then/else or select/case code to customize your sql query.
                    This example uses the NorthWinds customer table but can easily be adjusted for your needs.
                    Don't forget to change the sql connection.
                    I'm a bit jealous about the options available for the list control that I don't believe are available for the viewbox.
                    I have several debug(1)/debugger statements throughout the code to give you a chance to checkout the variables.
                    Feel free to holler if you have any questions.

Gregg
                    Code:
                    ' OnDialogInitialize code
                    function onDialogInitialize as v (e as p)
                    dim odiCN as sql::Connection
                    dim odiARGS as sql::Arguments
                    dim itsOpen as L
                    dim itWorked as L
                    dim sqlCode as P
                    dim queriedData as C
                    dim js as C
                    dim returnJS as C

sqlCode.loadNWcusts = <<%txt%
                    select CustomerID, CompanyName, ContactName, ContactTitle, Address, City, Region, PostalCode, Country, Phone, Fax
                    FROM northwind.Customers
                    <where statement>
                    %txt%
                    js = <<%txt%
                    debugger;
                    {dialog.object}.stateInfo['nwData'] = <stateData>;
                    initializeLC('listA','nwData')
                    debugger;
                    %txt%

itsOpen = odiCN.Open("::name::connection2")
                    queriedData = odiCN.ToJSON(strtran(sqlCode.loadNWcusts,"<where statement>",chr(0)))

returnJS = strtran(js,"<stateData>",queriedData)
                    'debug(1)    
                    e.javascript = returnJS
                    end function
                    ​
                    Code:
                    // javascript functions code
                    function initializeLC(lc,stateVar){
                    /* Plan on adjusting the switch(lc) function to
                    match your needs for this project.
                    The code already here is for example only
                    */
                    debugger;
                    var sourceData = {dialog.Object}.stateInfo[stateVar];
                    var lcPTR = {dialog.Object}.getControl(lc);
                    var msg;
                    switch(stateVar){
                    case 'nwData':
                    msg = 'nwData data has been loaded.'
                    break;
                    case 'asnsVB':
                    msg = 'ASNs have been loaded.'
                    break;
                    }
                    lcPTR.populate(sourceData,false,false);
                    //<listObject>.populate(data [,flagKeepValue [,animate [,flagFireEvents]]])
                    displayTransMessage(msg,'invisible',750,'no')
                    };

// The code below here IS NOT required to populate the list control
                    function displayTransMessage(message,control,duration,showclose){
                    var _getElement = function() {return {dialog.Object}.getPointer(control);};
                    var _ele = _getElement();
                    //var _html = '<div id="showmessage" style="line-height:25px; display:inline-block;"></div>';
                    var _html = '<div id="showmessage" style="line-height:25px; display:inline-block;">'+message+'</div>';
                    var _options = {} ;

if(showclose.toUpperCase() == 'YES'){
                    _options ={"close": {"show": true },"duration": duration, "animation": {"show": {"type": "none"},"hide": {"type": "none"} }};
                    } else {
                    _options ={"close": {"show": false },"duration": duration, "animation": {"show": {"type": "none"},"hide": {"type": "none"} }};
                    }

{dialog.object}.transientMessage(['dropdown',_ele],_html,_options);
                    }/* end of displayTransMessage function */
                    Attached Files
                    Gregg
                    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Working...
                    X