Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Suddenly - Landscape!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly - Landscape!

One client with an intranet has an odd problem. Every few weeks, one of the users might suddenly be getting all PDFs in landscape. Often, other users would soon start having the same result.

Today it happened several times, this time everyone got all landscape on all reports all the time. So, I go log in, check it out. My first report may be in landscape, maybe not. But the 2nd report is always OK. So, I tell the customer to try again, and they do, and all is well until it happens again. Today we went through this cycle 4 times.

Every time, people got landscape when they should not. And as soon as one of the reports I try is not mistakenly landscape, it's "fixed."

Why? How to prevent this?
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Suddenly - Landscape!

I think you need to provide more information. First, when you say "getting all PDF's" what does that mean EXACTLY? In other words are the users using IE or chrome to render the PDF? Is this on a mobile device? The reason I am asking is that there are definitely issues with browsers and devices rendering PDF's inconsistently. This is probably a bug with the rendering NOT your request to render it. You can also check the local printer to see if it has it's default setting switched to landscape which "could" cause it to render - printing in landscape.
    lots of variables - but my guess is the local printer orientation affecting the render.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

It's an intranet. All users are on desktop workstations, everyone's using Chrome. So this uses the Amunyi PDF printer that is doing exactly what I want thousands of times a month, properly rendering as portrait or landscape depending on what the report design calls for.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I still think it is a browser based issue. Hitting f5 reloading the report probably clears up the issue. As far as testing goes I would bet it is often not repeatable as well. I would also check whether or not the network is caching the printer settings - in my opinion something somewhere is using cached settings. Good luck figuring this out and let us know if you do!
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Might be of help:
          Build 4547: Amyuni PDF Printer Driver - Amyuni V5.0 - Windows 10 - Alpha Anywhere uses the Amyuni PDF Printer driver to produce PDF output from reports. Previously Alpha Anyhwere included V4.5 of the Amyuni Printer Driver. Alpha Anywhere now bundles V5.0 of the Amyuni Printer Driver. The V5.0 driver is compatible with Windows 10 whereas the V4.5 driver is not.
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Nope. We've actually got this app on quite an old build - 2172_4303. We turned the switch on the project with that build over a year ago, no real need to patch them up. The server's running Windows Server 2012.

The problem I originally described has been way too prevalent the last few days, including this morning again.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Steve,
              instead of spending hours bug tracking why not create a button to rotate the report? Is that possible somehow?

Comment

It's more than just "rotating" it. The whole format is/could/would be off. When something prints landscape, some reports that bet on a portrait format are paginated funny, etc.

I really don't know where to look or how to debug this. The properties of the Amunyi printer don't really have an orientation setting.

What's further puzzling is why one person's "off" report suddenly starts affecting everyone else's.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

I know this may sound like a given, but did you try reinstalling or deploying the application in full and restarting the network? There has to be a cached setting somewhere.

Comment

Plenty of server restarts over the year this has been in business. I don't see why a full republish is going to fix anything. Problem occurred once this morning, for instance, has been fine all the rest of today (so far). If your hypothesis was correct then nothing would have printed correctly all day long.

There has to be a "cause" and again my puzzle is why this "effect" is to affect all users.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X