Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

get value from multiselect combo using javascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get value from multiselect combo using javascript

Hi All!
    I was wondering how one could go about obtaining a value from a multiselect box in java script. I have 5 multiselect boxes that I'm going to loop through and then each combo box has n options that the user can select based on what is pulled from the database. I have some code but it doesn't pass anything into the array. I would assume that the value returned from the grid would be some type of array. I'm not super familiar with arrays in javascript and some of the tutorials seem to have conflicting methods of redimensioning an array so that might be part of the problem I'm having here

Code:

var multiBoxFields = ['Initiative','EquipmentType','Status','Milestone','RebateProgram']; 
    	var filterValues = '';
    	var temp;

for (i=0; i<multiBoxFields.length; i++){

var tempArray[] = {grid.object}.getValue('S',multiBoxFields[1]);
    		for (j=0;
    		if (tempArray[1]  != ''){
    			filterValues +=  "<button id=filter-" + multiBoxFields[1] + 
    			" onclick='removeSelectedFilter("+multiBoxFields[1]+"); return false;'>"+tempArray[1] +"</button>";
    			}
    		}	

document.getElementById('current-filter').innerHTML = filterValues;

Re: get value from multiselect combo using javascript

Hey Joseph,

I think this is what you're after... https://youtu.be/4XMcv8eU16k

Code:
    function processSearch(){

debugger;

var multiBoxFields = ['Initiative','EquipmentType','Status','Milestone','RebateProgram']; 
    	var filterValues = '';
    	var allFilterValues = '';
    	var temp;

temp = {grid.object}.getValue('S',multiBoxFields[i]);
    			temp = temp.slice(0, -1);
    			if(temp != ''){
    				var tempArray = temp.split(',');
    				for(j=0;j<tempArray.length;j++){
    					myValue = '"' + multiBoxFields[i] + '"';
    					filterValues +=  "<button id=filter-" + multiBoxFields[i] + " onclick='removeSelectedFilter("+myValue+"); return false;'>" +tempArray[j] +"</button>";
    				}	
    			}	

$('current-filter').innerHTML = filterValues;

}

}

function removeSelectedFilter(myFilter){

alert(myFilter);

}

Comment

Hey David! That video is awesome, thank you for going to that effort. I'm having some trouble getting this to work though. Your code runs but there are no buttons created. I put the following alerts in and the first alert will show the Field name (ie Initiative, EquipmentType) for the first alert and "undefined undefined" for the second. I have some default text in the DIV that this clears out so I know it's running it just seems it not getting any values from the combo boxes. I wonder if it matters that my values are coming from the database. I'm going to change one field to a static list and see what happens.

Code:

debugger;

var filterValues = '';
      	var temp;

alert(multiBoxFields[i]);
      			temp = {grid.object}.getValue('S',multiBoxFields[i]);
      			alert(temp[0] + ' ' + temp[1]);
      			temp = temp.slice(0, -1);
      			if(temp != ''){
      				var tempArray = temp.split(',');
      					filterValues +=  "<button id=filter-" + multiBoxFields[i] + " onclick='removeSelectedFilter("+myValue+"); return false;'>" +tempArray[j] +"</button>";
      				}	
      			}
      		}	

}

function removeSelectedFilter(myFilter){

alert(myFilter);

}

Comment

I think the difference is the way your boxes are setup. Mine are list boxes where you have to scroll down and select different values on separate lines whereas your setup builds them into a string, which may actually be better for the site I'm building.

Comment

Your first post said combo boxes... so that's what I went with. I'm not sure which control you are using. Could you elaborate?

Got it... you're using a DropDownBox control configured as a List and multi-value select. If you want to do this then more processing is involved. There may be an internal method for getting the selected values of a multi-select DropDownBox configered as a List, but I haven't looked yet.

Instead, get the control directly and look for, and process, the selected items. Here is the full function which does this. I've only converted 2 of the 5 controls for testing. As well, for this to work, uppercase the names in the multiBoxFields variable.

Once you get the control object, the childNodes property's first array value will hold an array of available selections. Each of these arrays has a 'label' and 'selected' property. First check to make sure we're working with a valid selection by looking at the label. If it's not empty, then go and check the 'selected' property. This will be either true or false. If it's true, then push that array label into your tempArray array. The process the tempArray as before to get your buttons.

Code:

debugger;

var multiBoxFields = ['INITIATIVE','EQUIPMENTTYPE']; 
          	//var multiBoxFields = ['INITIATIVE','EQUIPMENTTYPE','STATUS','MILESTONE','REBATEPROGRAM']; 
          	var filterValues = '';
          	var temp;
          	var items;
          	var tempArray = [];
          	var myValue;

temp = $('{grid.ComponentName}.S.TD.'+multiBoxFields[i]);
          			var items = temp.childNodes[0]
          			for(x=0;x<items.length;x++){
          				if(items[x].label != ''){
          					if(items[x].selected == true){
          						tempArray.push(items[x].label);
          					}
          				}
          			}	

}	

var tempArray = [];

}

}
          Last edited by Davidk; 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Ok so I was able to get it to work. It was much simpler than I thought. I will probably update this post when I'm done because it could be a useful bit of code for someone working with filters. In the end the users will be able to click the filter buttons that are rendered in the freeform section and the buttons will remove that value from the multiselect box without removing the rest of the values, it will also remove the button which will be customized with an X on it to indicate this is a way to clear filters. For now we can just see that the correct values were passed to the removeSelectedFilter function.

Thanks for the help David, also the debugger is cool! I just switched to chrome for debugging and development and that break popped up. I was wondering what that would do lol.
            Code:

var multiBoxFields = ['INITIATIVE[]','EQUIPMENTTYPE[]','STATUS[]','MILESTONE[]','REBATEPROGRAM[]']; 
            	var filterValues = '';
            	var temp;

temp = {grid.object}.getValue('S',multiBoxFields[i])
            			if(temp != ''){		
            				for(j=0;j<temp.length;j++){
            					myBox = '"' + multiBoxFields[i] + '"';
            					myValue = '"' + temp[j] + '"';
            					debugger;
            					filterValues +=  "<button id=filter-" + multiBoxFields[i] + " onclick='removeSelectedFilter("+myBox+","+myValue+"); return false;'>" +temp[j] +"</button>";
            				}	
            			}
            		}	

}

function removeSelectedFilter(myField, myValue){

alert(myField);
            alert(myValue);

}
            Last edited by jwilliamson; 10-26-2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

So here is the final (yeah right!) iteration of this code:

It takes the values from various search filtesr(textboxes, rangeboxs, and multiselect list boxes) and uses their values to setup buttons that display those values. So if the user types "Philadelphia" into a search box they now see a label that says "City: " followed by a "Philadelphia" button. This makes it easy for the user to see which values they have selected and then when the user clicks the button it removes the filter. There also appears a clear all filters button whenever a filter is added and when the last one is removed by clicking it's respective button the clear filter button is removed. It's pretty neat. I may have to screencast this one of these days if anyone is interested.

Code:
              function getFormValues(){
              	//This function is called in the afterSearchSubmit event after every time a search is submitted including clearing the search. 	
              	var textBoxFields = ['Id', 'SiteId', 'ProjectName', 'City', 'State', 'Zip', 'Initiative'];
              	var textBoxLabels = ['Id', 'SiteId', 'ProjectName', 'City', 'State/Prov', 'Zip', 'Initiative'];
              	var rangeFields = ['STARTDATE', '_TO.STARTDATE', 'ENDDATE', '_TO.ENDDATE', 'INCENTIVE', '_TO.INCENTIVE'];
              	var rangeLabels = ['Start Date Begin', 'Start Date End', 'Completion Date Begin', 'Completion Date End', 'Incentive Low Range', 'Incentive Upper Range'];
              	var multiBoxFields = ['INITIATIVE[]','EQUIPMENTTYPE[]','STATUS[]','MILESTONE[]','REBATEPROGRAM[]'];
              	var multiBoxLabels = ['Initiative','Equipment Type', 'Status', 'Milestone', 'Rebate Program'];  
              	var filterValues = 'Current Filters<br>';
              	var bFilterSelected = false;
              	var temp;

for (i=0; i<textBoxFields.length; i++){
              		temp = {grid.object}.getValue('S',textBoxFields[i]);

if (temp != ''){
              			mySearchField = '"' + textBoxFields[i] + '"';
              			mySearchValue = '"' + temp + '"';
              			filterValues += "<p>"+textBoxLabels[i]+": <button type='button' class='clear' id=filter-" + textBoxFields[i] + 
              			" onclick='removeSelectedFilterTextbox("+mySearchField+"); return false;'>"+temp+"</button> ";
              			bFilterSelected = true;
              			}
              		}
              	temp = '';

for (i=0; i<rangeFields.length; i++){
              		temp = $('{grid.componentname}.S.'+rangeFields[i]).value;
              		if (temp != ''){
              			mySearchField = '"' + rangeFields[i] + '"';
              			mySearchValue = '"' + temp + '"';
              			filterValues +=  "<p><button type='button' class='clear' id=filter-" + rangeFields[i] + 
              			" onclick='removeSelectedFilterRange("+mySearchField+"); return false;'>"+rangeLabels[i]+"</button> ";
              			bFilterSelected = true;
              			}
              		}
              	temp = '';

temp = {grid.object}.getValue('S',multiBoxFields[i])
              			if(temp != ''){
              				filterValues += "<p>" + multiBoxLabels[i] + ": ";
              				bFilterSelected = true;
              				for(j=0;j<temp.length;j++){
              					mySearchField = '"' + multiBoxFields[i] + '"';
              					mySearchValue = '"' + temp[j] + '"';					
              					filterValues +=  "<button type='button' class='clear' id=filter-" + multiBoxFields[i] + " onclick='removeSelectedFilterMulti("+mySearchField+","+mySearchValue+"); return false;'>" +temp[j] +"</button>";

}	
              			}			
              		}	
              		//Check to see if any filters have been set

if (bFilterSelected){
              			filterValues += '<p><button type="button" class="clear" id="btn-clear-filter-dynamic" class="advanced-btns" onclick="clearAndSubmitAllFilters(); return false;">Clear Filters</button>'
              		}else{filterValues = ''}
              	document.getElementById('current-filter').innerHTML = filterValues;
              }

function removeSelectedFilterTextbox(searchField){
              //set value for selected textbox blank and submit search
              	{grid.object}.setValue('S',searchField,'');
              	{grid.object}.submitSearchForm();

}

function removeSelectedFilterRange(searchField){
              //set value for selected range field blank and submit search
              //range must use low level javascript
              	$('{grid.componentname}.S.' + searchField).value = '';
              }

function removeSelectedFilterMulti(searchField, filterValue){

//find the filter in the array, splice it out and then assign the new array to the multi selectbox and submit

var filterString = {grid.object}.getValue('S',searchField); 	//returns an array
              	var locInStr = filterString.indexOf(filterValue);
              	filterString.splice(locInStr ,1);
              	{grid.object}.setValue('S',searchField,filterString);

}

Comment

Working...
              X