Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to hide .a5w

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to hide .a5w

Is there a way to hide .a5w in tha address bar? I dont want my clients to know i have done the app in alpha. Is there a way to change it?

Re: Hiw to hude .a5w

I do not believe so.

You could experiment with creating blank html pages and putting the a5w pages inside them as includes.

I have never tried it and I'm not sure how Alpha would handle that.

But please let me know how it works out if you do try it!

Also, you MAY be able to do something like that if you use Alpha with IIS - but that would be a feature inherited from IIS, not from Alpha.

Comment

Just go to your AA Server and make this change to the served pages
      2017-05-04_1348.png
      copy your filename.a5w pages to filename.html check the security setting are the same publish them then restart the AA Server.
      Should work as normal
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
          Just go to your AA Server and make this change to the served pages
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]43409[/ATTACH]
          copy your filename.a5w pages to filename.html check the security setting are the same publish them then restart the AA Server.
          Should work as normal
          You mean rename the extension name to .html on the development machine before publishing? so for index.a5w, I will rename it to index.html?

Comment

Yes or make a copy or rename it.
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks very much I'll try .

Comment

I am sure that this (replace a5w extension to html in server) will not work in practise. If I remember right for example when redirecting you have to have .a5w extension.

And why would you want to hide that you have made your software with Alpha. As we all know the price for Alpha developer + server is soon 4999 per year so why hide Enterprise level software.

But if you would like to hide .a5w extension then it is just question of design but difficult to achieve using Alpha.

Almost all web platforms today use mvc design and url rewriting. But Alpha does not directly support this kind of design model. But you can use for example js frameworkd like Angular which has routing built in. Using Angular routing your url is then format like yourdomain.com/#/login. But as I mentioned .a5w is hardcoded to Alpha so you will face this fact in practise when routing. You also need to use reverse proxy when url rewriting with AA classic server.

Other way is just use html5 and ajax in frontend.

Also notice that you can use (against Alphas normal practise) folders to hide a5w extension in request url . So if you have detail folder under root then url http://yourdomain/detail will work if you have index page in that folder (again classic server)

Comment

I'd say it depends upon what needs to be accomplished.

But... if you're referring specifically to Security, then I'd give it a try, Kenneth... and then report back. Web Security allows the selection of a .html page for redirection.

No reason to hide the .a5w extension... and renaming an a5w page to html is anything but difficult.

Try what Pete suggests and you'll find that it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                    I'd say it depends upon what needs to be accomplished.

But... if you're referring specifically to Security, then I'd give it a try, Kenneth... and then report back. Web Security allows the selection of a .html page for redirection.

No reason to hide the .a5w extension... and renaming an a5w page to html is anything but difficult.

Try what Pete suggests and you'll find that it works.
                    I am still sure it does not work in practise.

What comes to not use .a5w but .html page I think it is common practise for example in mobile apps in fact there is no need to use server side code in client side today.

Comment

it is common knowledge that alpha web server will serve html pages without any problem and as well as a5w page ( .htm, .html & .a5w extensions), but any server will not serve a5w page. all alpha server does is to translate the alpha code to html compatible code and supplies to the browser, since it is aware of xbasic syntax. i do not know why alpha has selected to provide two extension end points like .htm and .a5w in document creation if it is so simple. it is possible that the extension will trigger where the code will go. there must be something significant, i do not know, at least not yet.

edit:
                      for curiosity
                      > i edited my tabbed ui page and saved as htm page it did not display properly.
                      > i duplicated my tabbedui page but saved as html page - it did not display correctly.
                      edit2:
                      same thing with any grid placed in a5w page.
                      Last edited by GGandhi; 05-04-2017, 10:00 AM.
                      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                      mysql backend
                      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                      [email protected]
                      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Re: How to hide .a5w

I am still sure it does not work in practise.
                        But you can't be sure... because you haven't tried it. I have, and, in practice... it does work. So... are you just guessing?

What comes to not use .a5w but .html page I think it is common practise for example in mobile apps in fact there is no need to use server side code in client side today.
                        Not quite sure what this means... however... since there is no way to actually use server side code at the client level... I'm not sure why you think this could be a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                          But you can't be sure... because you haven't tried it. I have, and, in practice... it does work. So... are you just guessing?

Not quite sure what this means... however... since there is no way to actually use server side code at the client level... I'm not sure why you think this could be a choice.
                          In fact I have tried it. It is so old feature so many many years ago. But do not anymore remember what went wrong. But I do remember that Lenny (or was it Lenny :)) did warn using that feature. But who cares anymore. We have your opinion.

To use server side code in client side... You do not understand. Maybe I did use too few sentences to explain. If you use serverside code to run that code you need server and then your page has to be for example mypage.a5w but if you do not use serverside code then your page name can be mypage.html. The difference is that when using serverside code server really access page but if you not use serveside code then server just loads page to the client without any access to the page.

So to output tiltle using serverside code page name is mypage.a5w

Code:
                          <tiltle><%a5  ?title %></title>
                          and not using serverside code page name is mypage.html

Code:
                          <titile>{{title}}</title>
                          Both has exactly same output and David your are right you can not run serverside code in client side and I am sure that is what you did undertand me trying to say. But i am sure that you understand that when building mobile apps you can not use serverside code in clientside (now David read again above what I mean).

Comment

Try putting your app inside an iframe where the main page holding the iframe is SomeWebPage.html
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

when alpha server encounters <%a5 it grabs the code till it sees %>, then translate everything in between to common html code. if it does not see that segment it simply passes the code to the browser. so the server and as far as i am concerned .a5w extension is needed for alpha server to deploy the content properly. ( sure alpha can display plain vanilla a5w page without any code either with htm or a5w extension)
                              i do not know how iframe will work when the code is not understandable to anybody but alpha server.
                              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                              mysql backend
                              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                              [email protected]
                              1 914 924 5171

Comment

Working...
                              X