Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Callback problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Callback problem

Using 4119_4825

Something I've not seen before, can't resolve.

I have a largish UX, been building it up for a couple weeks. It has a lot of callbacks that work just fine. But suddenly I can't add the simplest of callbacks.

Putting a button on with this javascript:

Code:
    {dialog.object}.ajaxCallback('', '', 'TestThis', '');
    Here's the Xbasic function in the UX:

Code:
    function TestThis as c (e as p)
        TestThis = "alert('confirmed');"
    end function
    And the response I get is unusual: I get a javascript alert-type popup that says

Function: 'TestThis' was not recognized.
    It's kinda odd to see this javascript error message -- usually if a function doesn't exist or is misspelled, I don't recall getting a javascript message like this.

I've tried adding buttons in other places to test this - same result. I've tried the same function with a different name to no avail.

Chrome developer tools / Network tracing shows the callback being made with a status code of "200 OK".

Server logs show nothing at all.

I can repeat this on three different servers, with and without going through the load balancer.

And I've used the "recalculate all controls" feature.

Still, after several hours, no fix.

Any thoughts?
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Callback problem

may be it does not like Test..whatever. would try with confirmThis as the function name.

edit:
    i tested different versions in different workspaces TestThis seems to work. but of course this will not help since I am on version 11.
    Last edited by GGandhi; 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

I've tried several names in case that made a difference. I never has. The real function name I started with when I discovered the problem is "Confirm_Message_Read". It's pretty clear from the variants I've tried (plus the fact I've never run into something like this) that I'm not using any "reserved" function name.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

It may be that something client-side is failing during render and the callback function isn't getting set. Anything in the browser console? Errors? This is most likely unrelated to the actual callback method and function.

Comment

i agree - something is "in the way" as the callback is simple, and another dozen of them work just fine in the UX. But no errors in the browser console. I may have to start tearing pieces out until this works to identify the problem.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

I'start with a copy of the UX, then, delete the callback and anything to do with it and pre-render turn it off if turned on, save the UX, see what happens if still an issue. Then remove the last List component, if one exists, save the UX and see if it works. - I've had some success with this - don't know why but it worked in many cases, if it works paste the list from the original UX back in. Good luck.
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

24 hours later, still no joy. I actually have 2 callback problems, so focusing on just one:

This is an update of a UX - a lot of revisions, etc for a new version. So I have one callback being made, that is insisting on running Xbasic code that no longer exists. The callback occurs, but is still calling Xbasic that I've removed from the Xbasic function.

So I've made a copy of the UX - working with that. I've removed *all* Xbasic function code, saved, published, put it back, saved, published, and still the callback insists on running the "old" function code with Xbasic lines that no longer exist.

This particular function is called "SetArea".

So, I built a new function "SetArea_v2", copied the Xbasic into it, and changed the reference in the javascript callback. When I do that I'm back to the javascript-type alert message that says "Function SetArea_v2 was not recognized."

I'd upload/share this UX but it's extensive, reliant on a lot of support leading up to it, etc. Anything I supply wouldn't be very representative of what I'm doing at that point.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Sounds like your running a cached component in some way. I would not recommend making a "copy" but rather create a new UX and copy the controls over without the xbasic or the button calling it - upload and run it to make sure your good then add in the offending controls. How is the UX called in the first place? Is there a chance it's calling anything from local storage?
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Also, I tend to agree with David K when he said: "This is most likely unrelated to the actual callback method and function."

I have had issues with javascript leaving off a ; or putting end function in twice in a server side X basic event that caused goofy errors.
                  Which is why I am saying create a NEW UX and copy in the controls till it fails...
                  NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

OK, so I created a new UX, copied and re-created everything to it, same problems.

I didn't do this a few steps at a time - as I noted there are a lot of dependencies. I may have to take yet another day and go more slowly and in smaller pieces to see if I can find the culprit(s). Shouldn't have to do this of course....
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X