Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Field Splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Field Splitting

Out of the 7000 records 176 need fancy processing IE. have a suffix or prefix. I am not sure how many have just a first or last name or a single initial for a name. It was this list of 176 I used to test the Alpha Anywhere name splitter genie code which failed. Here are 11 of those names from earlier in this thread to use for testing.

RAVICHANDRAN V
    D V
    ERIC SPALTER II
    JOHN H BYRNE JR
    KOK SONG FONG MD
    BJAWARL SINGH PHD
    SIR WILLIA LUTHER III
    GUY DENT ADAMS, JR.
    TSGT MILLER
    R MORGAN BURROW JR
    LOUIS R DU TREIL SR

Jim
    Last edited by NerdJim; 03-05-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Ok, a list on the left of indecipherable data with drag and drop of elements on the right with the different options.
      Pick up an item, say TSGT and stick it in Prefix. Then pick up MILLER and stick it in Lastname.
      It's a visual thing with the exceptions now.

Like this
      https://www.screencast.com/t/vElN8slyDsb

The panels are not forms, just for demo purposes, native table browses.
      Top panel has the full text in a field, and this is subdivided into Word chunks.
      Bottom panel allows copy and paste (I don't think Alpha allows Drag and drop, but you could use the Copy To Clipboard feature "on arrival" and paste from clipboard if you wanted to).
      It can be made to look nicer. If you want the Zipped app, ping me an email Jim.
      Last edited by Ted Giles; 03-09-2018, 05:27 AM.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Got a bit further with this, not quite drag and drop, more like copy and paste using
        SYS_SEND_KEYS
        https://www.screencast.com/t/lC59x2vG

Comment

Keep in mind this came from a list of 176 similar names.
          Jim

Comment

I think you could get through 3 in a minute.
            About an hours work clearing it up using just mouse clicks.
            Bet you spent more time on the logic than that Jim!

Comment

I have been doing similar data cleanup and it is a bear no doubt. I add fields to the tables when needed to create matching links to other tables or to help sort & filter the data. These fields will be removed when I am finished. Being able to group the data makes the update process a bit easier. If I had your data for the time this thread has been running, I could have finished it by now!
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

My issue with cleaning it up by hand is it becomes a never ending process and I am constantly being tasked to switch modes every other hour. This last batch was only 176 names next batch it could be 1076 names. Plus I am on a time constraint to bring many older alpha4 yes I said alpha4 databases to the present. We still have computers running windows 7 and XP. With a dos emulator running alpha4.

Comment

I didn't mean to make light of your issue. But I still think you will need static tables for prefixes and suffixes that you can match to and remove from the full name field. Once those words are removed the rest of name should be simpler. But you will need to auto increment an id field for the full name first so you will be able to match the removed fields back to the name. My thought is by also using a temp table with fields #1 to however many words you expect to have, plus the id field; that should go a long way into helping you create a script that will do what you want. But without any tables to play with, I don't think you will get any examples of arrays or other parsing tools that you could use to get this going.
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I am not making light of it either Jim.
                    However, I struggle to understand exactly "why" you need to separate the name.
                    It might be "because", might be instructed to do it, might be a good business reason.
                    Taking Robins point, if you can get as far as you can with logic, you may be left with a smaller elephant to eat.
                    If the conversion is the issue and once done the names will be fine going forward, at least you will see an end to it.
                    What I would strugle with is tackling the Ravanchindran V problem with processing logic. Is it a reversed name or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                      I am not making light of it either Jim.
                      However, I struggle to understand exactly "why" you need to separate the name.
                      It might be "because", might be instructed to do it, might be a good business reason.
                      Taking Robins point, if you can get as far as you can with logic, you may be left with a smaller elephant to eat.
                      If the conversion is the issue and once done the names will be fine going forward, at least you will see an end to it.
                      What I would strugle with is tackling the Ravanchindran V problem with processing logic. Is it a reversed name or not?
                      Ted

My thoughts exactly...

I've asked the question here and haven't gotten an answer at that level.

Knowing what is needed can lead to a straight forward answer.

Alice in Wonderland -
                      Which way do I go?
                      Where do you want to go?
                      I don't know.
                      Then it doesn't matter.
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Love it!
                        I think Jim might be being leaned on to produce something impossible.

Comment

Well if he comes up with a script that will do it all for him, I hope he shares it, because I have spent the better part of a week doing something similar... using appends, updates and post operations. Plus just some plain old sorting & filtering browses and using copy & paste for those oddball items that slip thru the cracks.
                          Robin

Comment

I got the Copy and Paste down to 2 mouse clicks using SYS_SEND_KEYS

Comment

Name Splitting because we have historically received a ton of our names in this format and have kept it that way in our databases. As well as a combined full name and in a few instances it is saved in last name, first name format too. And this process began in alpha 4. Side note I have a bad shoulder and speed typing is not my forte'. Any teen texting makes my typing look like a snail who forgot his wheaties.
                              Jim

Comment

Jim

Are you splitting the names to

1. retrieve the name by word searches
                                or
                                2. process data into groupings by word within the name

if 1, Look at the Index Builder for the Full Text Search button. That will generate an index of words in your Fullname field as an index that can be searched quickly.

If 2, then let us know and we'll suggest additional options.

And good luck with the shoulder....
                                Al Buchholz
                                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                                X