Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Issue with selection criteria in the ONRowDblClick event for a browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with selection criteria in the ONRowDblClick event for a browse

I have a problem with the selection criteria for the ONRowDblClick event for a browse. Let me first explain the context of this issue. The application I am working with has a People form which has demographic information about a customer and then a history of contacts with them. There is a button which will take one to a browse which shows all of the calls to be made for today.
    I have attached a jpeg picture which has three screen shots.

The first one shows the browse which shows the calls to be made for the test date of 8/15/2014. The second shot shows the selection criteria which the ONRowDblClick event for the browse. What this does it will pass control to the People form for the person on that row. The third shot shows the Person form which is brought up as a result of the ONRowDblClick event. The specific issue is that this person is the only one which can be viewed on this form. If the previous page menu button brings up the same person and the next page menu item brings up a form to enter a new person. It appears that the selection criteria determine which records can be brought up on the form being transferred to.
    My specific question is this, Is it possible to transfer control to the specific person and yet have the person form have availability to all of the people on the person table? I may have to somehow get �behind the scenes� of the transfer dialog to pass control to the specific person and yet make available to the person form the whole population of the person table.
    Attached Files

Re: Issue with selection criteria in the ONRowDblClick event for a browse

In your dblclick event you are setting a filter for the People_mngr form to only see C00009002 (in the genie). As long as that filter is in place you can only view ..002
    You either want to only LOCATE that person and display the form OR you must release the filter once the people form opens.
    Try place a button on the the People_mngr form named say "Show All" and use the wizard to clear filters for the form OR simply click the Quickfilter "show all" icon that is now active on the toolbar.

Comment

Bob,

it sounds like the action scripting statement you've selected is setting a "base filter" in the form being opened. You can change this on the Options tab of the first dialog presented for this "action". suggest you edit your action scripting statement to select "user" instead of "base filter". The user will then be able to release the filter and navigate to other records after the form opens.

I also suggest you base the called form on the same set as your browse. Presumably this set has the contact records primary with the customer demographics linked one to one. Doing it this way your user can navigate through the contacts by contact date, and still see the relevant customer demographic information.

It's possible to write custom xbasic scripts that will improve the sequence a bit, but these ideas should get you going. Let us know how things turn out.

Comment

Thank your gentlemen for your ideas on how I can resolve my problem. I would like to respond to three ideas given to me to these two responses. I would like to express my appreciation to the promptness in responding to my questions.
        1. Using the ‘Show all’ menu item. This worked in enabling the form to navigate both forward and backward in the people table. I will check with my client to see if this is a workable solution.
        2. Changing the ‘user’ instead of the ‘base filter’ in the options tab. I have attached a jpeg picture of the changes which I made. This did not help the problem of not being to navigate forward and backward on the people table.
        3. Using the new set activity-people which the browse uses. I have duplicated the people form, people_mngr, to a new form, people_mngr2. Both of these use the set people_act which has the people table as parent and the activities set as a child. The set which the browse uses is the activity-people set which has the activity table as parent and the people table as child. Here is my question, Is it possible to change the set which a form uses? I want to change the set for the people-mngr2 form to be the activity-people set.
        Alpha 5 problem 3 picture.jpg

Comment

To change the set a form is based on right click the form in the control panel and copy the form to the new Set.

Then check the objects in the form to see that they realign properly with the new set. sometimes you'll need to adjust the objects. or if a parent has become a child include the full name table-> fieldname rather than just the fieldname.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I don't see a Ppl_id field on the form - how can you match that value from the browse to the form?

OnDoubleClick - if there is a ppl_id field on the People form, this will find your record without a query:

dim go_rec as c
            dim frm as p
            go_rec = browse1:ppl_id.value
            frm = obj("people")
            if is_object("people") then
            frm.activate()
            frm.find(go_rec)
            else
            frm = form.load("people")
            frm.find(go_rec)
            frm.show()
            frm.activate()
            end if
            Last edited by MoGrace; 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM.
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Bob and I worked on this offline.

We changed his onRowDblClk event script. Instead of running a query against the called form, we set an index and did a find by key. This causes the called form to navigate to the desired record without running query against the primary table supporting the form. Since no query is in place the user need not "Show All" to navigate to other records thereafter.

-- tom

Comment

Cool Tom
                That's what Robin's code does as I read it and tested, except that the primary index is not explicit, but is required for frm.find() to work.

Comment

I meant to mention that - I was on my iPad...
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Working...
                  X