Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How do I refresh dialog after updating an array?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham Wickens View Post
    My Hobby is to travel around visiting airfields and museums at home and abroad, trying to see as many different aircraft as I can. (Look on it as a hunter bringing back trophies to mount on his wall, except that I only record the aircraft identity in a notebook).

I have a table called LOGGING of over 500,000+ with details on each individual aircraft and airfield including the date, place and Current Reg that I first saw any individual aircraft.

My hand written log usually contains only the registration, date and location seen.

When I get home I want to do the following:
    1. compare the list of REGs against the table LOGGING to create a list of those present in the table and a separate list to show those that are not. (they can be missing for several reasons, and there can be duplicate REGs as well).
    2. Update the date, where and seen as Reg from my log to the main table for those not seen before (ie date, where and seen as are blank).
    3. Add the missing to the table with all the necessary data in its relevant fields (ie more than just date, where and seen such as aircraft type)
    4. Append the full list to a table called Current_Logging which is a complete diary of everything I have seen over the year
    5. Hope that helps.
    Sounds like sets and append or posting operations should be doing a lot of this work.

I've watched you work on this for years and always been interested in your hobby.

I'm an inactive pilot that appreciates aircraft.

They are beautiful creatures.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi Graham,
      You wrote:
      1. compare the list of REGs against the table LOGGING to create a list of those present in the table and a separate list to show those that are not. (they can be missing for several reasons, and there can be duplicate REGs as well).
      2. Update the date, where and seen as Reg from my log to the main table for those not seen before (ie date, where and seen as are blank).
      3. Add the missing to the table with all the necessary data in its relevant fields (ie more than just date, where and seen such as aircraft type)
      4. Append the full list to a table called Current_Logging which is a complete diary of everything I have seen over the year
      5. Hope that helps.
      I'm trying to understand the bolded.
      1. I believe #1 list the list from your notebook from your recent excursion? Present means reg in the logging table with some semblance of accompanying data and those that are not is the result of the search into the logging table for the reg not having a matching result and therefore destine to become a new record.
      2. Not understandable is how you can update something you have not seen before.
      3. Not understandable is what the difference is between missing and not seen before and those that are not present.
      4. Is this supposed to be over the years

I am also not quite certain whether or not you are trying to maintain the records of prior sightings of an airplane (reg) so you have a historical record of the sightings with when and where. You use the term update so it makes me believe you are only wishing to maintain the current data for the airplane (reg) and not saving prior sighting data for historical purposes.

I'm working up an example of what I believe you are wishing, but I need clarity on the above to get closer to your target.
      Last edited by Mike Wilson; 06-08-2021, 09:37 PM.
      Mike W

Comment

I'm trying to understand the bolded.(finger trouble)

1. I believe #1 list the list from your notebook from your recent excursion? Present means reg in the logging table with some semblance of accompanying data and those that are not is the result of the search into the logging table for the reg not having a matching result and therefore destine to become a new record. Correct

2. Not understandable is how you can update something you have not seen before.

the "LOGGING" table contains all the individual aircraft information I am interested in, some I have seen, some I have not. When I say Update, I mean I add the Date,when and where to the relevant Reg in my table after having seen it.

3. Not understandable is what the difference is between missing and not seen before and those that are not present.

a) Missing means aircraft with that REG are not in table, usually new builds
        b) not seen before means date,when and where fields are blank in relevant record
        c) those that are not present means those that have been re-registered and my table does not yet reflect this even though the aircraft is in the table under another reg, so it has to be update with new reg during logging

the main reason for splitting the missing is so I can sort out all the neccessary updating outside of the script.

4. Is this supposed to be over the years

I am also not quite certain whether or not you are trying to maintain the records of prior sightings of an airplane (reg) so you have a historical record of the sightings with when and where. You use the term update so it makes me believe you are only wishing to maintain the current data for the airplane (reg) and not saving prior sighting data for historical purposes.

I am doing both
        a) only maintaining first sightings in my LOGGING Table.
        b) appending complete trip log to another table (Current_logging) for historical purposes.

I'm working up an example of what I believe you are wishing, but I need clarity on the above to get closer to your target.

You are vey kind, thank you
        --
        Support your local Search and Rescue Unit, Get Lost!

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

OK Graham,
          What and how you are explaining this is confounding and not understandable of what you have in place and what you are doing. I'll keep trying if you can handle my drilling,

1. GRAHAM:
          the "LOGGING" table contains all the individual aircraft information I am interested in, some I have seen, some I have not. When I say Update, I mean I add
          the Date, when and where to the relevant Reg in my table after having seen it.

1. MIKE:
          This implies your LOGGING table consists of a record with a field for the aircraft type (ex: Schleicher ASK21) and a REG (ex: G-CHYT) and then you see
          this aircraft FOR THE FIRST TIME you complete the record by adding the date seen and the location where the sighting occurred from the notebook entry.
          This is corroborated with your statement:

2. GRAHAM:
          My hand written log usually contains only the registration, date and location seen.

2. MIKE:
          This implies that the REG defines the aircraft and is the key field in your LOGGING table. HOWEVER:

3. GRAHAM:
          a) Missing means aircraft with that REG are not in table, usually new builds

3. MIKE:
          This does not say that the REG is not in the table but the combination REG-Aircraft is not in the table which corroborates #1 above.

4. GRAHAM:
          c) those that are not present means those that have been re-registered and my table does not yet reflect this even though the aircraft is in the table
          under another reg, so it has to be update with new reg during logging.

4. MIKE:
          This is where it comes to focus that what you are saying doesn't form cohesive understandable information. Since the REG is the key to the aircraft,
          if the REG is not in the table, then it is missing, (#3 above) and there is nothing to go on. So how could you possibly make any determination about any aircraft
          if the key to that aircraft, the REG, doesn't exist. That said, #4 seems to be confabulation.
          Mike W

Comment

OK Graham,
            What and how you are explaining this is confounding and not understandable of what you have in place and what you are doing. I'll keep trying if you can handle my drilling,

1. GRAHAM:
            the "LOGGING" table contains all the individual aircraft information I am interested in, some I have seen, some I have not. When I say Update, I mean I add
            the Date, when and where to the relevant Reg in my table after having seen it.

1. MIKE:
            This implies your LOGGING table consists of a record with a field for the aircraft type (ex: Schleicher ASK21) and a REG (ex: G-CHYT) and then you see
            this aircraft FOR THE FIRST TIME you complete the record by adding the date seen and the location where the sighting occurred from the notebook entry.
            This is corroborated with your statement:
            Correct

2. GRAHAM:

2. MIKE:
            This implies that the REG defines the aircraft and is the key field in your LOGGING table. HOWEVER:

I have a field called "UNIQUE" in the table which is the actual record KEY field. But I dont know this until I search on the REG field, but yes the REG defines the key field in this instance.
            there can be multiple instances of REG each with its own Unique.

3. GRAHAM:

a) Missing means aircraft with that REG are not in table, usually new builds, but the aircraft could be there under another REG (My table is out-of-date)

3. MIKE:
            This does not say that the REG is not in the table but the combination REG-Aircraft is not in the table which corroborates #1 above.

Correct

4. GRAHAM:
            c) those that are not present means those that have been re-registered and my table does not yet reflect this even though the aircraft is in the table
            under another reg, so it has to be update with new reg during logging.

4. MIKE:
            This is where it comes to focus that what you are saying doesn't form cohesive understandable information. Since the REG is the key to the aircraft,
            if the REG is not in the table, then it is missing, (#3 above) and there is nothing to go on. So how could you possibly make any determination about any aircraft
            if the key to that aircraft, the REG, doesn't exist. That said, #4 seems to be confabulation.

Ha! had to look that word up :)

yes indeed, ignore 4)

so MIssing contains all entries that do not match a REG in the LOGGING table, which gives me a list to process outside of the logging process.

--

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Finally got rid of my headache so can think a bit more clearly for a while, been totally confusing you and myself (Life long habit!).

you can see why I dont make a very good programmer, I'm ok with tables,forms, browses and reports it is the DESIGN that I have no ideas on, I have just blundered along evolving my database over about 20 years or more.

start again:

my written log is transposed to a txt file will contain REG,WHEN,WHERE then into an array (WRITTEN_LOG)

my LOGGING Table has fields (amongst others) REG, AS, WHEN, WHERE that I am interested in here.

"AS" contains the REG I first saw the individual aircraft carrying, when and where are first time seen when and seen where.

for matching entries in written log (WRITTEN_LOG->REG = LOGGING->REG) I want to add WRITTEN_LOG->REG to LOGGING->AS and the corresponding Written_Log->WHEN and Written_Log-> WHERE only if LOGGING->AS is blank

Duplicate LOGGING->Reg matches need displaying so I can manually choose correct one if it is listed and then add as,when and where to that entry.

If no matches found, I then need to create a list of MISSING, so that I then know what I have to look for and update/append to the LOGGING table later.(Outside the remit of this script).

Finally I append the complete Written_Log array to a historical table "Current_Logging" (including the aircraft_type details plus logging details from table LOGGING).

hope that is clearer ?
              --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

graham02.vsd.png
                Is this anything like the process, Graham?

You may have Visio or Paint to do a similar diagram.

Else, http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki....php/Main_Page is a good way of designing processes using Freemind. Excellent free software for decision trees and such.

See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

That looks correct.

will have a look at Freewill, might help me design better in the future
                  --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

I doubt you wish to be deeply involved in designing stuff for other people to build, however having been on both ends of the development cycle, I find it sometimes pays to take a step back and simply write up what I am trying to achieve.
                    Example.
                    I am working with a USA company developing an unusual application.
                    When I viewed their original concept, it was overwhelming. Drawing out a few boxes simplified it enormously and we are getting there more quickly and less expense is required.
                    Sometimes we get bogged down in the detail, or along a path we may regret starting out on.

Anyway, Mike will know what to do now, I suspect.
                    See our Hybrid Option here;
                    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Graham,
                      OK, I'm not sure I have this all straight in my head but here is an example with mock data with a structure in the direction that I believe I understand your setup to be. This exemplifies a dialog with the functionality to use focused, dynamic searches and record add-edit-save functionality and that kind of stuff. Hope there is something from this that might help. I'd be more than happy to help further.
                      Attached Files
                      Mike W

Comment

Thank you very Much Mike,
                        I am away til Thursday (chasing airplanes), so will I will slowly read and digest when I return.
                        --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mike,

had a look at your code, still trying to decifer some of it,.

looking at the dialog layout got me thinking.

I wrote a script to import my written log into a table.

then created a Set with this written log table as the Parent and my LOGGING table as the child.

I can now do what you have suggested on a form with various buttons for all the sub tasks.

seems to work just fine (using about a third of the code I was using before).

thx

Attached Files
                          --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Great Graham! Glad it worked out for you.
                            Mike W

Comment

I realize I'm bypassing a lot of the stuff that I can't follow, but the query restriction just seems to scream for the efficiency of SQL.
                              I have taken the liberty of creating a mySQL table with what I presume are aircraft registrations (at least that's what I called the data
                              in the sample filter code). Code to create the table and populate it with that data can be found at https://paiza.io/projects/XbXLQXxyYG...language=mysql
                              to make things easier.
                              Once that is in place, the code below makes things so much easier.
                              Maintaining sql tables is relatively simple, as is populating a dbf table with the results of a sql query.
                              This code has been tested and does work.
                              As an after thought, you can get away with using sql_lookup with not opening the connection.
                              (This example does use mySQL or mariaDB. You might have to make adjustments if you use a different backend db)

Code:
                              dim haveIseenIt as n
                              dim cn as sql::connection
                              dim args as sql::arguments
                              cn.open("::name::regs")
                              haveIseenIt = -1
                              'I am going to call the lookup value searchValue. Replace it with your variable
                              searchValue = "D-ABFE"
                              args.Set("checkThis",searchValue)
                              haveIseenIt = sql_lookup(cn,"acregistrations","reg = :checkThis","count(*)",args)

' Values returned should be 0 (haven't seen it) or 1 (you have seen it). Anything else suggests a problem of some kind
                              Gregg
                              https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Working...
                              X