Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Serious Show Stopper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Show Stopper!

I am talking about the backup/restore function. Whether using the A5 menu choice to backup/restore the data files only or a full backup, a restore results in missing files and files of the wrong sizes and incomplete names. I let Selwyn and company know about this yesterday. Sure hope for a fix soon. Anyway, the issue seems to be tied to an improper Zip or Unzip or both. This is true whether using the menu function or the Xbasic commands. So please be aware that this issue may cause your application to become trash if you have the need to restore your files. I did find that using the backup/restore works fine with PDF files, just not at all with files located in the application directories.

What version and build number of alpha are you using. I use the built in backup and have never had any issues.
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hi Ron,

Developer version 12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867

Have you ever tried to restore any of the zip files? The zipping and unzipping shows no errors, except for the no access crash sometimes when it is trying to write to a log file. The only way you would know that there is a problem is if you restore something and compare the file sizes and names to the original files. They differ in size and the extensions are missing on some files.

Having said that, I just unzipped a couple of files and they look OK. I hate sometimes errors, don't you?

Perhaps the problems I noticed had to do with an interruption caused by the log file access rights error? I do not know.

Anyone else notice? Perhaps the advice becomes check the files on a restore if there is a log file access error during the process.

Oy!

Comment

Hello Gene,

I asked about the version and build as it appears you are running the current (?) build and this post is in the Version 11 section of this message board.

In your initial post, you seem to be using the term backup/restore interchangeably with zip/unzip. I’m not sure but I do not think they are not the same even though they each have a .zip file extention.

Tools -> Zip workspace creates a zip file. To restore a zip file, one must unzip said file.

Tools -> Backup/Restore Workspace -> Backup Workspace backs up the selected files.

To restore a backup file, I always use Tools -> Backup/Restore Workspace -> Restore Workspace.

In my applications, I use the latter all the time without any issues. I use this to backup files and update changes to the app. I could be wrong but I know what works for me.

That said, no, I’m not using the latest build.

I hope this helps.
        Alpha 5 Version 11
        AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
        DBF's and MySql
        Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

I agree with Ron.
          Creating a zip is one way of transporting an app. It is not the same as a backup. I use zips as release numbers .
          Backup/Restore is an "in app" facility to set a timeline you wish to get back to. As in when your changes don't work as expected. Effectively a roll back.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks Ron and Ted. How would one access the backup and restore functions using xbasic? What I am trying to accomplish is an act of convenience for the end user. I would like to have a button on the "backup" form that uses the directory information stored in a dbf for the "where to" argument and the list of dbf, cdx and fpt files for the where from argument. This is something I have done in the past but now when restoring the data, whether through the Alpha menu or otherwise, all files appear OK except every cdx file name is broken. The filename myfile.cdx is changed to myfile for every cdx file.

I tried to zip the file list and restore the files after the installation. That gave me the same results.

Comment

When doing a backup of the "data files only", the files with the extensions dbf, cdx and fpt are selected. My understanding was that restoring the data files would bring back all records written at the time of the backup. This is not true. To prove my understanding wrong, I backed up all data files then opened the application and made another entry. Then I restored the data files and the entry I added after the backup was still there.

However, my experience doing the same thing but backing up all files, making a change and restoring all files gave me what I would expect. The bogus entry I made after backing up everything was not restored. This leads me to believe that backing up data files does not back up the user entries. Seems like a contradiction to what one might expect.

So my question is what files should be added to the dbf, cdx and fpt files in order to truly backup and be able to restore all the user entries?

Thanks.

Comment

Hey gang!

I think I stumbled on my errors! First of all, my version of Build on my build machine was current but my version of Runtime on my runtime machine was not. Updating my Runtime version helped.

The second issue was that although I set the restore maintain path in the unzip command to true, the files were opened in the directory where the zip file was located. I thought that setting that flag to true would place the files into their original location given the fact that every filename was complete from the C: on down. That is apparently not the case. When I copied the files from their zip location to the application directory, everything looked good. I do not see why the files did not end up in their original location though.

The third piece of education is that apparently the fact that the cdx file names do not match the original file names is irrelevant. That is a surprise to me.

It does appear that using the xbasic zip and unzip works. That is a good thing because I do not want the users to have access to the control panel.

Comment

Never mind gang. The reason the backup data files only did not appear to work on my runtime machine was because the version of runtime was not current.

Comment

Working...
                  X