Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Forced Logout - Session Time Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Logout - Session Time Out

Is there a simple way to force a session to logout? I have several people who leave for the day without logging out. I put post it notes on their computer, I've sent emails, and I've talked to management.
    Nothing seems to work.
    I'd like the desktop version to kick them out if they are not logged out by say 5pm.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at these in the Help Text

A5.CLOSE() - this is a controlled shutdown if no records are being entered.

SCRIPT_SCHEDULE_TIME_GET() - It will run at the time you choose

Last edited by Ted Giles; 04-23-2024, 04:42 AM.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Sounds like you want to use group policy and/or scheduled tasks. Easy is subjective, but it sure beats having that fight.
      Gregg
      https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

These are saved as Code, under the Code Tab in the Control Panel
        You may want to make the times - example "13:10"as a variable so you can easily change them.

Build the Foos first and then the script to activate them

Script to activate the Foo's. Saved under any name.

script_schedule("Foo1","13:10",1) ' Foo1 sends the message
        script_schedule("Foo2", "13:11", 2) '
        Foo2 shuts down the system

Foo Scripts to send a warning and then close the application.

Saved as "Foo1"
        ui_msg_box(" Closing Down","Please save any work. The system is closing in 1 minute")

Saved as "Foo2" ' this version gives no extra warnings, sop read up on the function in Help.

a5.Close()

Comment

I tried to use script_schedule(). I tried to make the schedule time be dynamic by making the time a global variable so the user could delay the shut down, but I believe once run, the slot is consumed and won't run again to an incremented time - docs: "Once a script is played, it is removed from the script schedule". There are 10 slots or timers and once a timer triggers, it is not available to be used with another trigger time. So I developed my own session timer system that, I believe, does just what you want. It is based on a script that is called from the autoexec script that generates a modeless xdialog that rests in a toolbar location that shows the current time and the shutdown time and routinely compares the current time to the defined shut down time and when the shut down time is reached, its presents to the user a second dialog reporting the shut down time is reached and gives the user the opportunity to delay the shutdown by a system defined number of minutes, otherwise the application closes. If the shutdown is delayed, the new shut down time is updated in the timer dialog. While the script in the attached text has the pre-defined shut down time and the pre-defined delay minutes written literally in the script, in my system the pre-defined values are in a systems table and are acquired with a lookup() at the start of the script to make for ease of adjusting outside of the script. Hope this might help.
          Attached Files
          Mike W

Comment

That seems cool, Mike.
            Problem is, users will abuse it.
            As an old Systems Programmer said to someone complaining about a CICS/COBOL system,
            "Are you one of those bloody users?"

Comment

Hi Ted,
              If a user want's to sit at their computer after hours to wait for the logout message so they can push the "keep open" for 15 more minutes or whatever the admin added time is set for, after hours, for the sake of abuse, the abuse is only the user upon themselves.
              Mike W

Comment

Yep, self abuse. mike.
                I had thought of putting a startup script saying "What time do you want to quit today?" and working around that.

Comment

I have computers set to log people out at 17:45 if their computer has been idle for 5 minutes.
                  Gregg

Comment

Is that from within the app or in the Opsys, Gregg?

Comment

task manager. The problem of staying within A5/AA is users sometimes close the app, rendering any time specific functionality useless.
                      Gregg

Comment

Well now Jennifer has 2 ways.
                        Task Manager/Scheduler for the whole machine and within Alpha just to close that particular Apha session.
                        Not sure she would have posted here if she wanted a computer shutdown.

Anyway, when she has fixed it, maybe she will let us know.

Comment

i don’t shut the computer down, just log the person out.
                          Gregg

Comment

Working...
                          X