Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Anywhere and windows XP pro & other versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Anywhere and windows XP pro & other versions

for many years we have had no problems installing our application but on chaging to alpha anywhere a v12 runtime we hit many problems.

Today I installed our app on a PC running XP Pro & get error "the application has failed to start because mfc120.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may solve the problem"

why is this happening as I did not get this error when installing our app using runtime v10.5?

On a different install to a PC with windows 8 we got:

the mfc120.dll error PLUS another error window that refers to re-registering some files using RegisterFilesVistaWin7.bat (and RegisterFiles.bat) which come in the alpha12 runtime folder. What is the difference? Which to run on a windows XP PC or one runing Windows 8 / 10?

I viewed these 2 bat files & see these lines:

regsvr32 a5controlsproxy.dll
    regsvr32 a5contextevalproxy.dll
    regsvr32 XBasicActiveScriptingproxy.dll

no such files with the "proxy" text exists in the runtime folder. are these 2 bat files CORRECT?

Thanks.

Re: Alpha Anywhere and windows XP pro & other versions

IT can be confusing at times

Fighting some of that right now.

Did you run the install while logged in as administrator?
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

which install are you referring to? The 2nd install to a PC running windows 8 was a very good IT professional so I am sure he was doing it as an Admin. The first one done by moi and I am the administrator.

v12 is a horror show even on a stand-alone PC and I am waiting to see what happens when we try that on the web-version of our app.

Comment

Originally posted by dchiass View Post
        for many years we have had no problems installing our application but on chaging to alpha anywhere a v12 runtime we hit many problems.

Today I installed our app on a PC running XP Pro & get error "the application has failed to start because mfc120.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may solve the problem"

why is this happening as I did not get this error when installing our app using runtime v10.5?

On a different install to a PC with windows 8 we got:

the mfc120.dll error PLUS another error window that refers to re-registering some files using RegisterFilesVistaWin7.bat (and RegisterFiles.bat) which come in the alpha12 runtime folder. What is the difference? Which to run on a windows XP PC or one runing Windows 8 / 10?

I viewed these 2 bat files & see these lines:

regsvr32 a5controlsproxy.dll
        regsvr32 a5contextevalproxy.dll
        regsvr32 XBasicActiveScriptingproxy.dll

no such files with the "proxy" text exists in the runtime folder. are these 2 bat files CORRECT?

Thanks.
        Did some more testing or should I say "attempts" to get v12 to install properly. Did make some headway on the XP Pro machine where it would NOT even start the runtime. Got the "mfc120.dll" not installed error. So here is what I did

1.deleted the runtime on the pc that was installed during the installation of our application.
        2.re-installed Alpha Anywhere runtime v12 into the SAME directory of the one I just deleted.
        3.Ooops, now it asked for a license number. I found it and put it in. Mind you, I don't want to give this license # to a customer.
        4.started up A5.exe and EUREKA, the MFC120.DLL was gone & alpha started up as it had since back in the v4 days.

OK group whats wrong with my initial application install exe? I never had to jump thru this many hoops for an install before. I do not want any clients to have to call up their IT department or bring in a contractor to do what should be a very easy install.

Thanks for the help, suggestions or things to try. You are the champs of support and based on my experience with alpha anywhere v12, many customers need you guys (and ladies)

Comment

I solved some of my w7+ problems by going back to this reg.bat
          regsvr32 Codejock.PropertyGrid.v11.1.3.ocx /s
          regsvr32 Codejock.ReportControl.v11.1.3.ocx /s
          regsvr32 Codejock.SuiteCtrls.v11.1.3.ocx /s
          regsvr32 Codejock.TaskPanel.v11.1.3.ocx /s
          regsvr32 a5controls.dll /s
          regsvr32 a5contexteval.dll /s
          regsvr32 XBasicActiveScripting.dll /s

The other issues were some dumb stuff.
          I no longer have anything with sp on it, so can't help much there

you can make a small file called license.key an place it in your install folder to not have to supply the key or get it into the registry like I do with astrum installer

question: are you using v11 or v12
          v12 has no installer

v12 is for XP3 and up so should install almost every time with no hitch.
          ARe you sure they hap XP and it is version 3?
          Last edited by DaveM; 10-06-2016, 06:10 PM.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
            I solved some of my w7+ problems by going back to this reg.bat
            regsvr32 Codejock.PropertyGrid.v11.1.3.ocx /s
            regsvr32 Codejock.ReportControl.v11.1.3.ocx /s
            regsvr32 Codejock.SuiteCtrls.v11.1.3.ocx /s
            regsvr32 Codejock.TaskPanel.v11.1.3.ocx /s
            regsvr32 a5controls.dll /s
            regsvr32 a5contexteval.dll /s
            regsvr32 XBasicActiveScripting.dll /s

The other issues were some dumb stuff.
            I no longer have anything with sp on it, so can't help much there

you can make a small file called license.key an place it in your install folder to not have to supply the key or get it into the registry like I do with astrum installer

question: are you using v11 or v12
            v12 has no installer

v12 is for XP3 and up so should install almost every time with no hitch.
            ARe you sure they hap XP and it is version 3?
            I am sure I posted this to the v12 group. I have another installer which worked perfectly until we hit v12....

the v12 runtime has TWO bat files in there to re-register. Are you saying alpha put in a couple that are wrong? I did mention the proxy text being in some of the files but yet do not appear in the actual file. The PC I mentioned with the MFC120.DLL is running XP Pro SP3.

The license.key was in the v12 runtime folder & had the proper number but obviously it did not let the register know it was legit. Another bug?

I am not impressed with v12 and if 10.5 ran windows 10 with no problems, we would not have made the decision to go to v12. FYI, our application users are about 99% desktop so the web features do not figure into our decision as alpha has shutdown any new features in desktop since 10.5. Was there a v11?

Comment

D. Chiass wrote
              I am not impressed with v12 and if 10.5 ran windows 10 with no problems, we would not have made the decision to go to v12. FYI, our application users are about 99% desktop so the web features do not figure into our decision as alpha has shutdown any new features in desktop since 10.5. Was there a v11?
              You will be if you ever leave XP. On the other hand v11 works great on XP.
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                D. Chiass wrote
                You will be if you ever leave XP. On the other hand v11 works great on XP.
                Please refer to my original starting post......these are probs at clients & I am unable to control what a client uses viz windows. Sometimes I wish I could.

10.5 worked great with little or no install errors. No bat files to re-register a gaggle of files.

Comment

I understood, but if they are running less than xp3, there will be problems as you go.

The update to xp3 was a free one and still should be available.

But, up to you guys

@ Robin. I agree and the last one sent many megabytes of Js.node stuff I would never use. I think about 48M of it.

My install packages have grown from 90M to 140M and now 206 after eliminating most of the junk.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

fill me in what is xp3? translated do you mean xp pro SP3???? our application went from 70MB to over 200MB once we switched to v12....bloatware extreme.

I did not indicate any client was running less than xp Pro. I wonder if anybody has a list what one can safely DELETE from v12 if you are just using it for desktop apps?

Comment

sp3 would be it - been a long time
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

DS.
                        If you deploy V10.5 or V11, they work on XP, Win7 and Win10, no problems.
                        You do not need V12, which I tried as a free option but went a different route. I was not keen on the "one tool does DT and Web" approach.
                        Still using V11.
                        You can still get V11 but you will need to contact Alpha Sales.
                        Why did you go for V12?
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

that is a very good question, why v12.....supposedly so our application would run without problems on windows 10. maybe it is time to look at v11 if still available from Alpha sales.

Comment

Working...
                          X