Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can A5 do a web UI with a checkbox "signup" list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can A5 do a web UI with a checkbox "signup" list?

Newbie question: I have a interface in mind for a web application that would allow a member of a group (the YMCA in this case) to sign up for one or more activities. This interface would allow an individual to be presented with a list of activities, each with a checkbox next to it. To sign up, they'd simply check the box. Whenever they visit the list of activities, they'd be presented with the of unique activities with the ones he'd previously signed up for checked AND the ones that he never signed up for (or un-signed up for) unchecked.

The list of activities isn't static: More could be added. Some could be removed (notifying the person, of course). But the main question I have concerns the ease of setting up the checkbox list described above, hopefully without any, or much, programming. (I don't recall seeing a sample of it in the A5 trial, hence my question.)

Once in place, other logic would calculate such things as dues owed based on activities signed up for, and the graying out of activities whose capacity is reached, etc., but I'll consider these later.

Note: The described UI seems to be a good way to have the user see at a glance the entire set of activities, though I'm open to other ideas if the coding/configuration is easier.

Thanks very much!

-Kurt

Re: Can A5 do a web UI with a checkbox "signup" list?

Hi Kurt,

This is a web related question and will be best answered if you re-submit in the Server section.

What you are asking can be done but is rather complex. I would suggest you learn the concept in the desktop first then use that skill in the web app.

There are many ways to store the collected data, so how you store it will determine how it is extracted for examination.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

This, I think, is a hard thing to do, at least it is in the way that you want. I would use an alternative method:

Three tables & 3 grids: Users, Activities & User_Activities. In a grid, link Users & User_Activities by User_Id field. Put that grid and a grid based upon Activities in a single page, probably using a Page Layout Builder. That way you will see all activities in the latter grid and the user(s) in the former grid. In order to copy the activity(s) to the current User_Activities you would need to use xbasic. As an alternative to xbasic you could make the User_Activities grid do a lookup of the activities table. You could have a delete checkbox in the User_Activities grid to delete obsolete User Activities, w/o affecting the actual "master" Activities table.

As you are new to Alpha/WAS you will have to do your homework.

Good luck!
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

how about 2 step process to minimize coding

step 1 of 2 will store the user data along with a unque id randomly created in the users table

step 2 of 2 is another grid (user activities) with check boxes; here you can derive the primary key of the users table using the unique id you passed from step 1

raj

Comment

Kurt,

I created an application like what you thinking about in V9, and now I'm updating it to V10. So, I think I have some insight into what's involved. To see what I created as a resource for ideas, go to http://www.asqpdx.com or http://www.asq-seattle.org

For version 10, I believe the tabbed UI is best used for the administrative parts, entering the events and fees, entering announcements, reviewing the signups (and payments if that is part of what you are going to do), reviewing the waiting list, for printing name tags, class rosters, attendance certificates, that sort of thing.

For the user interface, that is the public pages, however, I think it is best to stick with the tradtional approach.

Pat
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
            This, I think, is a hard thing to do, at least it is in the way that you want. I would use an alternative method:

Three tables & 3 grids: Users, Activities & User_Activities. In a grid, link Users & User_Activities by User_Id field. Put that grid and a grid based upon Activities in a single page, probably using a Page Layout Builder. That way you will see all activities in the latter grid and the user(s) in the former grid. In order to copy the activity(s) to the current User_Activities you would need to use xbasic. As an alternative to xbasic you could make the User_Activities grid do a lookup of the activities table. You could have a delete checkbox in the User_Activities grid to delete obsolete User Activities, w/o affecting the actual "master" Activities table.

As you are new to Alpha/WAS you will have to do your homework.

Good luck!
            Hi

I, personally, prefer Peter's approach, i.e. a 1:N:1 relationship between Users, User_Activities and Activities for simplicity and functional reasons. No XBasic required. Can be all done using Alpha's built in features. I have done a similar example using a 1:N:1 relationship between STAFF, STAFF_ROLES and ROLES and it can be easily adapted to users and activities. It is very easy, It looks like this:

Step1 (see corresponding picture)
            This shows the STAFF table ("1"-side) and the middle table ("N"-side") of the 1:N:1 relationship. The middle grid is defined als view between STAFF_ROLES and ROLES in order to get the role name from the ROLES table. This grid is then defined as linked content of the STAFF grid and displayed in a freefrom edit region of the STAFF grid. Linked fields are all hidden as I just want to present the user with the name of the role here.

Step2 (see corresponding picture)
            When users click on "Add New Role", the middle grid shows new record rows. The role field (in this post the 'activity') is simply a lookup field to the ROLES table. The difference to the checkbox example is that a user has to lookup & select for each role. The final submit can be done all at once.

Step3 (see corresponding picture)
            Shows the user with all added roles.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by wmz View Post
              Hi

I, personally, prefer Peter's approach, i.e. a 1:N:1 relationship between Users, User_Activities and Activities for simplicity and functional reasons. No XBasic required. Can be all done using Alpha's built in features. I have done a similar example using a 1:N:1 relationship between STAFF, STAFF_ROLES and ROLES and it can be easily adapted to users and activities. It is very easy, It looks like this:

Step1 (see corresponding picture)
              This shows the STAFF table ("1"-side) and the middle table ("N"-side") of the 1:N:1 relationship. The middle grid is defined als view between STAFF_ROLES and ROLES in order to get the role name from the ROLES table. This grid is then defined as linked content of the STAFF grid and displayed in a freefrom edit region of the STAFF grid. Linked fields are all hidden as I just want to present the user with the name of the role here.

Step2 (see corresponding picture)
              When users click on "Add New Role", the middle grid shows new record rows. The role field (in this post the 'activity') is simply a lookup field to the ROLES table. The difference to the checkbox example is that a user has to lookup & select for each role. The final submit can be done all at once.

Step3 (see corresponding picture)
              Shows the user with all added roles.

Regards
              Thanks guys! What an informative thread!

Wolfgang, I really appreciate your graphics. Tell me, about that Roles table: can the system be configured to display only roles in that table that the person hasn't already signed up for?

-Kurt

Comment

Good question. Haven't tried this out yet so I can't say how to do this best in Alpha. Maybe I find some time later...

Comment

Working...
                X