Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Barcode Code39 truetype font

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barcode Code39 truetype font

I have Code39 font in a report. It previews fine. In report designer it shows up as a barcode.

I have the Code39 font (verified and used) on both the development machine and the server. \Windows\Fonts\Code39.ttf. It is on all machines in play.

On the server I can use WordPad and properly display a barcode.

After publishing, when I display the Alpha5 report it shows up human readable, as in *123456* instead of a picket fence.

V10 mode. I've stopped/started the A5 web server after installing Code39.

Clues would be welcome.

Carl ~ Texas
    An A5 Newbie
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Re: Barcode Code39 truetype font

Hi Carl,

Originally posted by CarlMPearson View Post
    I have Code39 font in a report. It previews fine. In report designer it shows up as a barcode.

I have the Code39 font (verified and used) on both the development machine and the server. \Windows\Fonts\Code39.ttf. It is on all machines in play.

On the server I can use WordPad and properly display a barcode.

After publishing, when I display the Alpha5 report it shows up human readable, as in *123456* instead of a picket fence.

V10 mode. I've stopped/started the A5 web server after installing Code39.

Clues would be welcome.
    How are you publishing the report on the web server? To a PDF file? Did you embed the font (which may or may not be licensed for embedding)? Otherwise, a PDF will print with the closest or default font which is why you see human-readable. A browser will not know about the barcode font at all.

Another way is to convert a barcode on the server to an image and then place the image in the report. This is a feature of my CSDA Barcoding Functions for Alpha Five
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Did you set your report to embed the fonts? Not sure but that can make a difference.

Comment

I'm just displaying it in a filtered link from a grid.

If I go to print it or save it as pdf it also bypasses the Code39 TTF.

Do I need to modify a CSS file?

Carl
        Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

Did I set the report to embed the font?

Sounds like something I should do as soon as I find out where.

Carl
          Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

Ira,

I have a customer who will probably be interested in your bar code utility for the web. (I haven't approached him about it yet) He is converting his business applications to the web. We are currently working on a PO program for him, and after he does the receiving, he will want to print bar coded labels (all numeric) for the products received out of a web program.

Then, when he sells his products, he will want to scan the labels into the web invoicing program (which is mostly finished) off the same label using keyboard emulation scanners.

He has decided that 3 of 9 will work fine for him; he will not need UPC even though his stores are retail. But, he will need your ability to assemble the bar code out of images in order to print.

I didn't see pricing on your site, so, question is, what is the price and how does the pricing model work? He has a single server but about 15 computers that will be printing and about 40 computers in the stores that will be scanning.

He is currently using label printers with proprietary software and would like to move to something more generic and, as a result, less expensive.

Thanks,
            Pat
            [email protected]
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
              ...We are currently working on a PO program for him, and after he does the receiving, he will want to print bar coded labels (all numeric) for the products received out of a web program.
              Converting to an image is easy, the function will return a blob or write a graphic file (JPG, BMP, PNG) to the calling routine, or else, a translated text string of the barcode mapped to the barcode font

Then, when he sells his products, he will want to scan the labels into the web invoicing program (which is mostly finished) off the same label using keyboard emulation scanners.
              As I said, through a browser this is very difficult to do in an intelligent way because all browsers operate differently to keyboard events. You can place the cursor on the field to enter, but this should not be a burden placed on the user. The desktop side has lots of options, like search for scanned code, if found, put into change mode, if not found, put into enter mode, fill in the barcode field and leave focus on the 1st field to really enter by human.

He has decided that 3 of 9 will work fine for him; he will not need UPC even though his stores are retail. But, he will need your ability to assemble the bar code out of images in order to print.
              I don't recommend 3 of 9, or similar variants, as they are not self checking, have no standard checksum (a semi-standard but there are variants), and is not compact. Code 128 is the one I generally recommend.

I didn't see pricing on your site, so, question is, what is the price and how does the pricing model work? He has a single server but about 15 computers that will be printing and about 40 computers in the stores that will be scanning.
              Pricing is waiting on my licensing package and having the final features work as planned.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I worked with barcodes some time ago, I had a similar problem, the outcome was I had to increase the character count of the field beyond the actual size to accomodate barcode format - after that it worked fine.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

OK, where do I embed a TTF font into the PDF generated by Alpha5?

Do I need a product from Adobe or a 3rd party? A different font type?

An XBasic function? A configuration for the spedific Report?

Clues, I need clues!

I've spent more time on this barcode thing than building the database and half the grids!

Thanks,
                  Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

Hi Carl,

Originally posted by CarlMPearson View Post
                    I've spent more time on this barcode thing than building the database and half the grids!
                    Which is exactly why I have a product. It isn't necessarily as easy as it first appears!

I don't know if Alpha's pdf creator can force embedding of fonts. Some other products can, but then you have to buy and integrate them.
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

From memory you ensure the font is installed on the server in windows or what ever your using.

restart the server - it will pick up the font - so will the V10 development app.

- what is important is to make certain the field in the table and the report have enough characters to print the barcode so start with a big number say 50 until you find the right number.

Selwyn is the man to tell you how to embed fonts in the PDF driver - you can do it if needed, but this should work.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

*123456* is the test label. The report works great in Preview. Works in Live Preview from the menu and grid.

The font is installed on Server in Windows\Fonts, just as on my development PC.

Doesn't work actual web access.

Cranked it to 50. Lessened font size. Still works everyplace except where I need it to work.

Grrrrrrrr. Close, but missing some little thing.

Thanks to the gent from Down Under.
                        Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

I you have not already done so you need to turn on embedding the font in the PDF settings.
                          Chad Brown

Comment

Launched by button ... using the On Click Javascript that launches the Report, PDF Options, I have enabled embedding of fonts for PDF, but alas, no change. Closer ... but still no cigar. Also tried enabling Multilingual.

I've tried with 3 different Code39.TTF files in that it could have been a flaw in the TTF files.

The battle continues.
                            Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

I don't know, I did this myself today

Installed the 3of9 ttf on my server and my machine

Created a calculation field to the report to add the *before the barcode and after*

Changed the report to use the font 3of9 ttf

Changed the on click event pdf properties to embed the font

And voila.

And it works through the web to a user that does not have 3of9 font installed.

Tested using barcode reader in-store it picked up the value properly.

All of 10 min. Sorry not sure why you are having so many issues.
                              Chad Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X