Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Feature Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feature Packs

Originally posted by Bob Moore View Post
    I m a big fan of a subscription based model. Pay a set annual fee (or monthly payments) and get all updates and new releases. The cost is something that you can budget for and you don't feel like you are being taken advantage of as a captive customer.

It's a win / win situation for all parties concerned.

Autodesk used this technique quite successfully for it's upgrades.
    I think this is what your have at the present.
    Upgrading from 9 to 10.x [upgrade cost/months lifecycle] = average monthly cost. Other vendors ask higher prices for subscription, update support etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
      You will see below that Alpha Five's pricing is a small fraction of our competitors. In fact we are often asked by people who are new to Alpha why are prices are so low??? ( because they know the cost of our competitors.) We tend to respond that our philosophy is to keep our product affordable and within reach of developers of all sizes
      1. Iron Speed: $2,795.
      2. OutSystem Agile Platform: $49 per user of an application per month. Equals to $6,000 a year for 10 or $60,000 a year for 100 users.
      3. Visual LANSA: Not posted on their web site, but we were given a quote by the company which stated "about $15,000 for first deployment server, and $5,000 for every additional server. "
      I don't have anything to complain against Alphas pricing model. Also Feature Packs are good but only if customers feel that way. I must say that exporting to excel as a Feature Pack product don't seem to me as a fair play.

What comes to Alphas competitors today I have a very different feel. When Alphas users are now learning to use (X)HTML, XML, JAVASCRIPT, CSS and most of all SQL the real competitor are in traditional web markets: using open source librarys, tools and frameworks with some commercial developing tools. Zend is a good example of Alphas competitors. You just have to change xbasic to some other scripting language and you are ready to use these tools.

In Version 10 Alpha has also a big problem in concentrating just for grid development and this is reason why Alpha version 10 feels today just almost like a grid utility.

Ken

Comment

Peter, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges

The $599 you paid was not just for the developer version but included other licenses.

I was half-kidding when I said Alpha owes me $450 (at least half my posts are half-kidding). Went back and checked my invoice and it was for both a WAS license + v10 developer. So looking at the latest promo, that same pack now goes for $359, therefore you only owe me $240. Just kidding. Alpha doesn't owe me anything :(. I know how the pricing schemes work. If you don't like the price, don't buy, wait a while, and eventually the price will come down. This is just basic market driven economics. There's no grudge here against Alpha. Personally, I haven't (yet) bought any of the feature packs because to date I haven't had a need. And they are way cool . And I can see it from both sides. Alpha needs a revenue stream, esp. in these difficult economic times, and users always want everything for nothing. But there is some truth to the notion that the sum of the parts cost more that the whole. Currently, (if my numbers are right):

File image upload/download 3-pack: $249
        Five pack (Advanced Search, Tree Control, Grid Components for Desktop, Flying Start, Excel and ASCII): $199
        TOC: $99
        Upsize Database: $249
        ================
        Total: $796

vs.

v10.5 developer: $129
        or
        WAS license + v10 developer: $359

But one does wonder, if the "feature-pack paradigm" were applied in years past, what functionality that we now take for granted, would be optional "pay-ins"? Really, I don't think there is necessarily any right or wrong to it. Ultimately the market will control (to some degree at least) what's extra and what's not.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi...
          I tend to agree with most of the pro comments on the feature packs/Alpha, but.....what I have not heard, and this could sway my opinion somewhat, is whether or not these feature packs can be produced by a developer on their own for the most part.....or that they are impossible to create without the feature pack.

I have been waiting to hear someone else ask this but apparently I may be one of the few that would even consider "creating their own" when you can just buy it.....I always consider doing it myself as I have yet to find anything created by someone else to have everything that I want or how I want it to be....and unless these feature packs can be easily modified to suit various needs then yes, I would probably want/need to create my own.

Anyone know anything regarding these points?
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Moore View Post
            I m a big fan of a subscription based model. Pay a set annual fee (or monthly payments) and get all updates and new releases. The cost is something that you can budget for and you don't feel like you are being taken advantage of as a captive customer.

It's a win / win situation for all parties concerned.

Autodesk used this technique quite successfully for it's upgrades.
            I have a different feeling about subscription or service contract based systems. As an IT manager I deal with these all the time and as long as you are getting value(ie: updates on a regular basis) then it's not a bad deal. More often then not though you are paying monthly and often not seeing any imporvements or changes for months. Sometimes years.

What I find annoying is most of those pricing schemes are based on number of users. This quickly becomes an issue when your company grows and you now find yourself facing increasing costs...often not budgeted for.

I guess what I find most amazing about the Alpha team is their willingness to hear and act on what the user base is asking for and suggesting. I do have a couple software packages that are "service contract based" and unless you are willing to pay for it they won't even talk to you.

I could be wrong here since I wouldn't consider myself even close to an expert on programming in Alpha but from what I can see the feature packs are goodies to help create applications quicker and easier without having to learn in depth programming. The experts on here could confirm if I am interpreting this right but I think they could produce the same results with time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
              I don't have anything to complain against Alphas pricing model. Also Feature Packs are good but only if customers feel that way. I must say that exporting to excel as a Feature Pack product don't seem to me as a fair play.

What comes to Alphas competitors today I have a very different feel. When Alphas users are now learning to use (X)HTML, XML, JAVASCRIPT, CSS and most of all SQL the real competitor are in traditional web markets: using open source librarys, tools and frameworks with some commercial developing tools. Zend is a good example of Alphas competitors. You just have to change xbasic to some other scripting language and you are ready to use these tools.

In Version 10 Alpha has also a big problem in concentrating just for grid development and this is reason why Alpha version 10 feels today just almost like a grid utility.

Ken
              Ken --

The Alpha Grid component is WAY more than a grid utility

are you aware of the following capabilities and examples?

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...jCUv0FsZTgzUcc

The vast majority of our customers (ranging from SMB's, enterprises and Gov users world wide - who are aware of alternatives to Alpha Five) are reporting back to us that they are finding Alpha Five to be an incredibly productive tool (compared to alternatives like php, ruby, visual studio.net etc.) In addition they are reporting that they especially like the completeness of the tool because of things like the built in security framework http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/we...ebSecurity.ppt, the reporting capability (have you looked at the cost of Crystal Reports recently) http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000432646.cfm, the richness of xbasic, the event model with the tie in to javascript, the support for REST web services
              http://blog.alphasoftware.com/2010/0...-v10-with.html

I want to again thank everyone for the useful and spirited discussion on this thread and most importantly for your interest and support.

Best Regards
              Richard Rabins
              Co Chairman
              Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by rderksen View Post
                I have a different feeling about subscription or service contract based systems. As an IT manager I deal with these all the time and as long as you are getting value(ie: updates on a regular basis) then it's not a bad deal. More often then not though you are paying monthly and often not seeing any imporvements or changes for months. Sometimes years.

What I find annoying is most of those pricing schemes are based on number of users. This quickly becomes an issue when your company grows and you now find yourself facing increasing costs...often not budgeted for.

I guess what I find most amazing about the Alpha team is their willingness to hear and act on what the user base is asking for and suggesting. I do have a couple software packages that are "service contract based" and unless you are willing to pay for it they won't even talk to you.

I could be wrong here since I wouldn't consider myself even close to an expert on programming in Alpha but from what I can see the feature packs are goodies to help create applications quicker and easier without having to learn in depth programming. The experts on here could confirm if I am interpreting this right but I think they could produce the same results with time and effort.
                Thank you for your comments here - The functionality of the feature packs could in theory be duplicated by customers of ours. Knowing the effort that went into them, it is likely that the time and money spent on duplicating them would likely be a very poor investment compared to the cost of the feature packs. The decision calculus for our customers is very simple - if a feature pack is useful to you - then it is a great deal in terms of ROI (building it yourself would be a huge waste of time.) If any particular feature pack is not useful, then it makes no sense to spend any money on that feature back
                Last edited by Richard Rabins; 08-29-2010, 01:40 PM.
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                  File image upload/download 3-pack: $249
                  In my opinion this is a basic functionality of a web program. Download/Upload.

$249/�174? I think who pays the price really needs it.

But before you buy it you should think a moment: Why this basic functionality is not built in to this advanced developing tool with Godeless Ajax?

Ken

Comment

uploading a file from a local machine to a server may be basic functionality.

BUT the image/file feature packs do much more than that

for example

mapping to the right place in the database
                    taking advantage of the full security model
                    the ability to have these files be embedded into the html editor
                    more

I would encourage anyone interested in these feature packs to review all the recorded demos here http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000462492.cfm and then make a decision as to whether they see value in them or not. (So far we have sold of LOT of these and have received very good feedback on their power, their utility and their usefulness.)
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

I would encourage anyone interested in these feature packs to review all the recorded demos
                      As I mentioned before Feature Packs are a good thing from Alpha. I hope there will be new ones too. It is just a good thing that a customer have choices.

Is this list updated. I don't find the file upload utility? Are there others?

Ken

Comment

In my opinion this is a basic functionality of a web program. Download/Upload.

$249/�174? I think who pays the price really needs it.

But before you buy it you should think a moment: Why this basic functionality is not built in to this advanced developing tool with Godeless Ajax?

Ken
                        Hi Ken

I know my hourly rate and know that it would have "cost me" much more to try and create that functionality. Same as Steve Wood's Alphatogo template. I could argue I could have done that all myself and probably could BUT it has saved me a fantastic amount of time so was well worth the investment.

Just my two minutes worth!
                        Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Is this list updated. I don't find the file upload utility? Are there others?
                          This is the "real" list:

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...60635869960943
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                            I know my hourly rate and know that it would have "cost me" much more to try and create that functionality. Same as Steve Wood's Alphatogo template. I could argue I could have done that all myself and probably could BUT it has saved me a fantastic amount of time so was well worth the investment.
                            You need it you buy it. That how it works. Nothing to complain.

But what comes with CMS I would never built that myself. I have always used TikiWiki and will continue to use it. I don't even think to use Alpha for that.

And what comes pure Web pages templates I use for them third party tools. They work fine with Alpha.

Ken

Comment

I have never complained about Alpha pricing. Actually I personally do not mind paying $600+ IF there is a decent learning tool that is comprehensive and uptodate that comes with it. I can easily recoup the $600+ on the 1st project. I am not a seasoned developer but I do know that what one can produce with A5 is sold in the thousand of $ by other programmers using other tools. BUT the amount of time I spend learning A5 is high due to lack of decent doc. If I multiply the nbr of hours spent in trial and error trying to figure out things, even @ $3/hr amounts to several hundred dollars. The learning time and frustration more that make up for the low A5 price.
                              On the other hand it is a real fact that little guys like me cannot afford to use any other competitive product because they are outrageously expensive AND complicated.

Comment

I think Alpha's reasonable pricing attracted us all one way or another so it would be good if it where to stay reasonable. On the other hand compare the cost of a feature pack against what you charge your customers for custom built code. Finally I believe we (Alpha & us the developers) have a mutual interest; we need each other. I'd be ready to pay a reasonable fee for 'maintenance & upgrades' on a yearly basis and then if Alpha would offer a number of versions (with no,few or all extra features for example) it would be up to me to choose which flavor. Combine that with a flexible upgrade/downgrade system and we're all set. Alpha has a nice steady cash flow allowing them to be even more creative and on top of things, we are assured Alpha will always be around and bring us new & better tools again & again.

That said I also believe pricing should be fair for everyone at all time -ethical- and not the way airlines do these days; I just hate to be on the same flight and sit next to someone who paid half the price for the same flight. If you're after loyal customers be loyal to them.
                                Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Working...
                                X