Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Developer Edition - Build 3608 - CPU at 100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Developer Edition - Build 3608 - CPU at 100%

In addition to the CPU usage, has anyone noticed a problem with memory usage. I have a real problem with memory creep. I have been running applications for years but did not have a problem until recent months. The WAS started to lock up weekly. I finally traced it to the memory creeping up to approx 1.4 G. I am now forced to reset the server at least evey other day. I reset the server yesterday and started with memory at 80,000k and in one day it has increased to 990,000K. To test, I have set up the A5 Application service on a couple other computers, created new (very basic) grids, and am seeing the same results.

Comment

Hi George,

I am experiencing the memory leak problem as well...I have done some research into the issue and here is what I found..

1) Some people appear not to have the problem
      2) Others experience the problem regularly and use always up to do an automatic reboot either nightly or when the memory usage gets to a certain point.
      3) I've read claims that it is caused by bad programming on the end-user side but even when I strip it down to a simple login the memory creep still occurs (same with you).

I have done some thorough testing around this with a dedicated server and feel there is some kind of problem but can't pin down what it is...for now I plant to use Always up for a nightly reboot.

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

I am currently using the trial version and I am visiting the forum to see how the "community" is helping each other and I had to read this thread a couple of times because I did not believe what I was reading.

How long has this cpu and memory problem been going on for? Users should not have to not maximise windows, reboot computers and any other witch doctor fixes that might be around. Alphasoftware and any other developer should aspire to zero bugs before new features.

Having to reboot 20 times a day because you like maximised windows is not acceptable. Send them a bill for your time.

Dont get me wrong, I like A5 so far but if I showed my boss this thread he would have a cow.
        Last edited by jamesbh; 04-23-2011, 01:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

James,
          You, your boss...or anyone for that matter reading this message board should realize that the vast majority of the threads are here due to someone having an issue---I say this only to ensure that this context is how it should be viewed.....that is you have to figure out if an issue is affecting ALL users of Alpha or just the few that post....and also in a long thread such as this, there are many times in which more than one issue is presented....and some presented have either been fixed or a coding problem identified (so read carefully!!). :)

I suggest you continue to read the board as you will find that it is treated as a knowledgebase and, as such, we all learn by helping each other....and think that you will find out how incredible it is to have such a resource available (I have seen a lot of code/scripts even written for others as a solution). I have heard, and agree with, many here who say there is no other forum anywhere that has such generous peer support.

Regarding this specific issue....not long really as far as I've read....similar ones have popped up sometimes. Again, if a problem can be reproduced as a bug, most times it will be fixed by Alpha....or a work-around given by them or a fellow programmer here on the messageboard. But a "memory leak" (a greatly over-used misnomer) is a very hard issue to find I know...in fact I have a few programs (non-Alpha) in which they still have this issue....Microsoft has had their share as well (and doubt all have been fixed!).

:)
          Mike

Comment

Mike,

I do not want to hijack this thread into a discussion diverting from the topic at hand. All I will say is I have every respect for the contributors of any forum and should we continue with A5 I/we will contribute as we have in many other forums, productively. God save us all!

A good forum is a value add for any product like this as many find it difficult to maintain their documentation. Looking from it from my perspective before I drop cash for 5 licences I want to know if any problem has been occurring for an extended period of time. Hence my question.

As for Microsoft.......bigger doesn't mean you do things better than everyone else. That we know, otherwise there would be no need for A5
            Last edited by jamesbh; 04-23-2011, 03:55 AM.

Comment

James (and everyone) -

I noted this problem to Alpha a bit ago, but they could not reproduce it.

I have received a note from Alpha that they are looking into this, knowing now that this was not just a local problem of mine (how many times has that been the cause!).

In the last couple weeks, I've noted a few small other issues to Alpha Software, and they've solved them with incredible speed -- one within 15 minutes! This is typical of the terrific staff at Alpha and one of the many reasons so many of us are choose and keep on choosing Alpha Five.

So, based on my knowledge that (a) it's not just my problem and (b) others are reporting it and (c) I know they're looking into this, I have every confidence that this will be resolved very soon.

This may raise another question: Is Alpha Five buggy? The answer is no, and it's not perfect. But it's an incredibly complex program with a crew behind it that is capable of and striving for perfection. (I wish my product was as near perfection as theirs!) And their responsiveness to customer concerns and questions leaves every other software company in the dust.

I know I expressed my frustration with this problem a few notes down, but even with that I know that Alpha Five is just far and away the very best solution for everything I do. I hope you'll join with us and enjoy all the great benefits of working with Alpha Five.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbh View Post
                How long has this cpu and memory problem been going on for? Users should not have to not maximise windows, reboot computers and any other witch doctor fixes that might be around. Alphasoftware and any other developer should aspire to zero bugs before new features.
                Keep in mind, not all users have this problem. I would venture to say it is only a certain minority. And zero bugs is an impossibly high standard. Although, I guess I agree, they should strive for zero bugs, which they may be doing anyway.

Having to reboot 20 times a day because you like maximised windows is not acceptable. Send them a bill for your time.
                I almost never reboot my server, except perhaps after messing around with an occasional update. And again developing web stuff, I almost never need to reboot - even with all-day sessions. Not saying Alpha is perfect (I've voiced my share of complaints over the years), but it's not exactly riddled with bugs either.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
                  James (and everyone) -
                  This may raise another question: Is Alpha Five buggy? The answer is no, and it's not perfect. But it's an incredibly complex program with a crew behind it that is capable of and striving for perfection. (I wish my product was as near perfection as theirs!) And their responsiveness to customer concerns and questions leaves every other software company in the dust.

I know I expressed my frustration with this problem a few notes down, but even with that I know that Alpha Five is just far and away the very best solution for everything I do. I hope you'll join with us and enjoy all the great benefits of working with Alpha Five.
                  I couldn't have said it better myself!

My stats:
                  My Alpha 5 Web Server has never crashed!
                  Only one Laptop with the Alpha Five v10 Developer has this issue.
                  3 of my other machines I use the Alpha Five v10 Developer do not have this issue.
                  It is obviously a hardware related issue with the Alpha Five v10 Developer and hopefully it will be resolved.
                  This forum has helped me with a work around to the problem I was having on my laptop.
                  All good.
                  Last edited by frankbicknell; 04-23-2011, 10:57 AM.
                  Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Bill,
                    Thanks for suggesting Process Lasso by www.bitsum.com.

It is truly fantastic. I installed the free version and it really is awesome.
                    I installed it on my laptop and my home web server where I do my development work and it has really smoothed things out.
                    Alpha does not peg the cpu and the development work now does not stutter/stop/go when saving my grids like it used to.
                    My apps run a whole lot smoother now as well.
                    The web processes seem to run a bit quicker overall.

I also installed it on to a clients computer which was having massive cpu 100% utilization all the time and it has made it once again a responsive computer. While I can fix the clients problem so it does not happen, and I will, it was nice to see that Lasso Process does exactly what it says it will do and the proof was in that clients pudding/computer.

It also has a feature similar to Alwaysup in the sense that it will restart any app that goes down and it can also assign which cpu to run the app on and also do away with virtual threads so your apps will run on the actual processor threads and not the virtual processor threads.

This program has a lot of great features, and is great quality as a low price. I suggest everyone check it out for yourselves, I know you wont be disappointed.

Calyxte

Here is a blurb from the process lasso page.
                    Process Lasso
                    Process Lasso
                    The ultimate Windows automated process optimizer! Now announcing version 4!

For all editions of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, and Windows 7.

Process Lasso is a unique new technology that will improve your PC's responsiveness and stability during periods of high CPU load. Windows, by design, allows programs to monopolize your CPU without restraint -- leading to hangs and micro-lags. Process Lasso's ProBalance (Process Balance) technology intelligently adjusts the priorities of running programs so that badly behaved processes won't negatively impact the responsiveness of your PC.

Process Lasso also offers an assortment of ways to take full control of how your CPUs are allocated to running programs. In essence, it is an all-in-one automated Windows process tuner. You can choose at what priority processes should run, and which CPUs should be assigned to them. You can also disallow certain programs from running, log all programs run, automatically restart programs, limit the number of instances of a program, and much more. You can even indicate processes that should induce entrance into the High Performance power scheme or prevent the PC from sleeping. A gaming mode also allows for easy process priority optimization for avid gamers.

Once you install Process Lasso, it'll just start working. More advanced users can tweak the configuration, but you needn't touch anything to have it instantly improve your system responsiveness and prevent stalls in high load situations.

Comment

I'm experiencing this issue with high CPU usage from Alpha. I'm on the latest build.

The window trick does seem to work most of the time.

Comment

I've been having problems with high cpu usage and continuous fan running....but today I may have stumbled across a "fix" for this.

1) While editing a grid, click "Options" at the top of the screen.
                        2) Then click "Preferences"
                        3) Then check the "Enable fast save in Grid Component Builder" and click OK to save.

This fixed it for me....maybe it will help you too.

Comment

Hi, guys
                          I would like to add another cause for cpu 100%.
                          I use mac i5, parallels 7, windows xp. I installed a program to monitore cpu usage on my toolbar.
                          I discovered that every time Alpha 5 is open and I need to copy/paste some text (FROM ALPHA to another program on windows or mac), just after I click ctrl-c the cpu goes to 100%.
                          It seems that sometimes happens with windows or after using alpha for a long time, or after computer enter standby mode.
                          For me there are many things that starts this issue. But I noticed that mostly happens when I click ctrl-c and try to copy/paste from Alpha.

I will try Process Lasso to help me not start alpha 20 times/day.

Thanks,
                          Cezar

Comment

Cesar

The only difference between your environment is that I use vmware fusion 3. I am not having the 100% CPU issue when I use the clip board between OSx and windows.

I am using windows 7 now and would not go back to xp.

Michael

Comment

Well it's now 2014 and I have all the problems listed here: CPU at 100% when windows are maximized or the program is open for a while on a macbook Retina with Parallels running a clean windows 7...I'm running the latest build in 2014, so they still haven't fixed this?? Is it a Parallels issue?

Comment

I do not recommend Parallels. Too much bugs and problems.
                                I use Virtual Box. It is from Oracle, and it is free.
                                www.virtualbox.org - download the Mac version.

You will need to install the add-ons for screens/drivers, etc. The add-on is the same for all OS's.

We are working on 3 macs with VirtualBox, Windows 7, and Alpha last release. Everything is working perfectly. No more such type of problems we had with parallels in the past.

Do not forget to reserve the right amount of memory for windows.
                                I recommend a Mac with 8GB ram, and a max of 4GB for Windows on the virtual machine. I use Windows 7. Not tested with Win 8 yet.

Hope this help.

Comment

Working...
                                X