Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New subscription plan, leaves room for improvement. (imho)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New subscription plan, leaves room for improvement. (imho)....

Originally posted by chadbrown View Post
    I am not sure what direction this thread has taken but I cant resist. Alpha has a great product and I enjoy using the tools that have been given to us all to date

I purchased v10 back in october 2009 and if alpha offered a yearly subscription it would now have expired by 3 months now, and I am not sure how long before v11 is released, so if it takes 16 mths for a new version on a yearly plan! Which makes it not so attractive. So if you are in for two versions you are paying quite possibly 3 yearly subscriptions.

I will most likely continue to use Alpha but I am not seeing the value of paying upfront for software that does ??? more than my current version.

Oh and bye the way ask any mechanic if he buys a new set of tools every couple of years and throws the rest out, because my version 9 has not been used in a while.

I also bought a wrench from snap on 10 years ago to loosen a 5/8" bolt and it still works and if I break it snap-on will replace it, how does that compare to software?
    Chad - Thank you for your comments about Alpha Five being a great product.

I do believe your analysis of the plan is flawed however

we are promising people v11 and all the add-ons, webinars, feature packs etc for 12 months after v11 ships.

After that people will evaluate if they see value in renewing and one of the key factors in that determination will be - did they get value in being on the plan (we are confident they will feel that way) also they will take into account v12 and it shipping in the next renewal period.

Bottom Line: We are looking to create value for customers with the Plan and are responding to customers requests for such a plan. Doing anything other that, would be short term thinking on our part and does not make good business sense.

As a side note, I can say since the plan was announced just a few days ago, sign ups have been very brisk. I also want to remind you, that this plan is optional and that Alpha Five will remain available to be purchased on a sku by sku basis.

I have to take exception to the appropriateness of your Snap On Tools analogy.

Firstly - you can continue using older versions of Alpha if you want to just like you can use older mechanical tools.

If you however. you are serious about building innovative apps in a very fast paced and regularly changing market (remember the iPad did not even exist this time last year!) then it makes sense to seriously want to use the most recent versions of our software so that your apps are as competitive and attractive as they can be in your market. The Snap on Tools business is also very different in that R and D plays a much less important role in the mechanical tools business vs the software tools business and software companies need to spend money to innovate constantly and this innovation requires major On-Going investment. In turn companies can invest only if customers support the product. But being a smart person - I know you know this.
    Last edited by Richard Rabins; 12-28-2010, 11:28 PM.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
      I have lots of no longer supported versions of Alpha Software products.

versions 4, 4.5, 5,6, 7, 8, 9.

I expect that version 11 would have already been out had it not been for version 10.5 being released in May this year.
      Software is that way. the software which does not 'grow' is soon left in the dust and destined for oblivion. We all know some of those products.

As compared to a tool, yah, I've got a bunch in my tool box that I haven't used in years but maybe, someday? A tool becomes obsolete only because the the item it was made for fades into the sunset. Anybody still got one of those old 4 handle lug wrenches?

If Alpha does not evolve, someone else will take up where it left off and then we pay, just the same.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

In our industry (Legal) most software we use includes the option of "Maintenance Plans" (MP), or "Annual Maintenance Agreements" (AMP). Typically how these work is you purchase the software, then purchase the MP or AMP. These plans / agreements range 20% - 30% of the software cost. What you get with these plans is all upgrades and unlimited technical supportt, as well as proper documentation. As long as you renew your agreement each year all upgrades are free.

Am I missing the upside to the proposed Alpha plan?

Comment

Typically what does the legal packages that you are referring to cost?
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
            Software is that way. the software which does not 'grow' is soon left in the dust and destined for oblivion. We all know some of those products.

As compared to a tool, yah, I've got a bunch in my tool box that I haven't used in years but maybe, someday? A tool becomes obsolete only because the the item it was made for fades into the sunset. Anybody still got one of those old 4 handle lug wrenches?

If Alpha does not evolve, someone else will take up where it left off and then we pay, just the same.

kenn
            Kenn,

Just because a company comes out with something new and improved does not mean they should stop supporting other recent versions of their product.
            Could you imagine the uproar if Microsoft said ok...now that windows 7 is out you can continue to use windows xp or windows vista, but we will not support it anymore.

I am a longtime alpha fan.
            I would love it if sometimes the changes would take the delovpers needs into consideration (I have a version 4.5 desktop application that does not convert to version 5 or higher because of structural changes).

Don't get me wrong, I am quite sure that sometime on the 29th, even though it did not give us much time to determine the value, I will be signing up for the advance plan.

As a side note, knowing that I have been a satisfied customer for more than 15 years, will I be able to determine at the end of version 11's life if the value was worth it.
            If I determine it was not, will Alpha Software return the money ?

Of all the things that have been discussed, the only thing we are sure of is as of December 29, 2010, some of us will have forked out over $1000 for products that have no scheduled release date.
            Last edited by madtowng; 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM. Reason: typos
            Gregg
            https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

500.00 - 700.00 for the first user 100.00 - 300.00 additional users.

Comment

Of all the things that have been discussed, the only thing we are sure of is as of December 29, 2010, some of us will have forked out over $1000 for products that have no scheduled release date.
                Sounds like when Clinton ran for president saying taxes were going up. He won! We lost!
                Don't ask me all anbout it on here-it is politics and not sales. LOL

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Just because a company comes out with something new and improved does not mean they should stop supporting other recent versions of their product.
                  Could you imagine the uproar if Microsoft said ok...now that windows 7 is out you can continue to use windows xp or windows vista, but we will not support it anymore.
                  That is not my point and I didn't think I gave that impression. My point is: software evolution is a must if your product is to survive and along with it goes the pricing and service structure of the product.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Richard my analogy was not directed at alpha.

It was in regards to a previous post referencing snap-on tools.

And is exactly my point!

They have nothing to do with each other.
                    Chad Brown

Comment

Just stop this crap - it is not compulsory. it's an option - make your decision and live with it. It's great product - changing not just the way we work - but the way we view the web and deal with data, - our clients will be (if not already) forever grateful. A new year is dawning - I already know it's going to be a very good year, because I know I'm generating product that non-Alpha developers are still wanting for. It will indeed be a happy new year - So happy New year to all.. Bring on 2011.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                        Just stop this crap - it is not compulsory. it's an option - make your decision and live with it. It's great product - changing not just the way we work - but the way we view the web and deal with data, - our clients will be (if not already) forever grateful. A new year is dawning - I already know it's going to be a very good year, because I know I'm generating product that non-Alpha developers are still wanting for. It will indeed be a happy new year - So happy New year to all.. Bring on 2011.
                        Hey, Hey, Peter, Lighten up! Folks like to express their opinion about Alpha's pricing and support which as nothing to do with the product itself. When it's meant personal and vicious, then it's 'crap'.

kenn

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                          The comments I have made are based on facts.

In this economy, I need to be concerned about several things, including the financial health of a company I am dealing with.
                          I realize Alpha Software has been around for a long time, but that is no guarantee that they are in good financial condition (GM was around a lot longer before they went bankrupt).

I am looking at recent actions.
                          Since the offer to purchase all feature packs and get all feature packs released for version 10.5, two feature packs have been released. We have now gone 2 months without a new feature pack being released (I am sure that was not the intent, but it is a fact).

We now have an option to prepay for software and services to get a reduced rate. I like the option, but do not even have a potential release date for the next version.

I hope you understand that the comments are not meant to be hurtful or bitter, but are indeed a mixture of sound, rational business considerations mixed in with the love for a product that some of us have been using for over 15 years.
                          Gregg
                          https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

We now have an option to prepay for software and services to get a reduced rate. I like the option, but do not even have a potential release date for the next version.

I hope you understand that the comments are not meant to be hurtful or bitter, but are indeed a mixture of sound, rational business considerations mixed in with the love for a product that some of us have been using for over 15 years.
                            You summed it up pretty good. The price of the products dropped since the release of v10, certainly less than what I paid. I'm not complaining. Alpha's MO has been to drop the pricing as time goes on and then offer it as a freebee for an advanced purchase of the next release. And, yes, I did take advantage of that offer.

That said, I would not be a happy camper if they did that with the current subscription plan. However, I suspect the price will increase or perhaps even stay the same but the plan itself will change, one with just the basic products and the other with the application packs and videos, etc.

This is going to be an interesting ride, so buckle up. Whatever they do, I hope it stablizes, and soon.

kenn

Comment

Alpha has many types of users, with many very different needs. As I see it, the addition of the subscription plan is just filling a need for a specific type of user. Not everyone NEEDS this plan. There are many who would be quite happy to just upgrade to V11 when it comes out. They have no need for the was, feature packs or runtimes. I don;t think I saw anywhere that this is the way developers HAVE to go. You can continue to purchase alpha the way you always have. one piece at a time, eventually in bundled packs or with the plan. I am not really sure I understand the uproar over having another option, but it seems like every new version brings a new uproar. What we do not know is what the pricing will be for the individual pieces, but with the feature set that is coming out I would imagine that the price is not going to drop. The subscription plan is a savings for my company, but we buy items as they are released. Feature pack by feature pack, version by version, SO tI am betting that this will be a BIG savings to us over the next year or so. Am I buying something site unseen? Yup , but I have come to know and trust in Alpha and Richard and Selwyn and I know they will deliver.
                              Bill Griffin
                              Parkell, Inc

Comment

I'm really puzzled about the 29th deadline. This seems a ridiculous thing to do at this time of year. Not sure about the USA but in the UK most of us don't return to work until the 4th January. If Alpha really wants to be a global company it needs to consider this sort of thing when coming up with it's offers. This offer should be extended until the end of January to give everyone the opportunity to use it.

Really not sure if I would take up the offer due to the price but the end date blows it out of the water as I'm not back to work until next Tuesday. Alpha are meant to be selling a serious product to businesses/developers and need to start providing the offers in a more professional manner. Few companies will make a decision in a couple of days for investments of $1500. Typically it will have to be signed off by at least one manager who may have to take into consideration several other requirements.

It's all very well stating you can still buy it through the normal channels but for many this might be the best option but Alpha have decided to put a ridiculously short deadline over a holiday period.

Richard, why such a short deadline?
                                Do you not celebrate Christmas?
                                Do you not care about your customers that do?

Personally I just think that no real thought was put into the deadline. All Alphas offers seem to have these ridiculously short (supermarket) time periods. Fortunately I know it's a good product but if I didn't my first thought would have been why are they trying to rush me into a purchase. It's that same kind of feeling you get when a salesman (UK, not sure if the USA is the same) is trying to sell you double glazing. I don't think Alpha are trying to con anyone but why are they in such a rush to get your money by the 29th? What is deterring them from keeping the offer going until the end of January?

Comment

Working...
                                X