Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Grid stops working when linked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid stops working when linked

A5V10 Web
    Windows 7

I have built 3 grids. (Well more actually.) I have one grid (B) that is has a linked grid (A) in a field. When I test it, it works fine.

I built a higher level grid (C) and linked the other grid (B) to it. It works as long as the grid (B) does not have more then one record. If there is more then one record, then it does not display grid (A).

In Chrome it simply does not display. In the live preview, or working preview tab it gives me the message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    Line: 3826
    Char: 24
    Error: 'undefined' is Null is not an object
    Code: 0
    URL: http://localhost/LivePreview/javascript/A5.js

Interestingly it is grid (A) that does not show, but only when grid (B) has the multiple records. It doesn't have a problem if Grid (A) has multiple records. (Sorry for repeating myself, just clarifying my issue.)

Any ideas?

Re: Grid stops working when linked

I do wonder if this might be a glitch of some sort.

I actually rebuilt all 3 grids, with only the basic modifications to get them to work, and they still had the same problem. I then tried to see if it might be something with the SQL table, deleted all the connecting records, and re-entered everything.

After a little modification, I did find out that as long as the "top" (in this case) grid would only have one record, the child and grandchild grids would work fine. But add another row, and suddenly it does not work.

If it matters, I have 2 linked fields between the first and second grid, one of which references an even higher grid.

I am seriously confused as to why it would do this.

Comment

And it works in a row expander.

I was preferring to have the grid in a free form edit region instead of a row expander, but it works, so that is fine.

Comment

And now it has stopped working again.

I added a linked grid in a pane that is conditionally hidden. But if I have more then one column level, then the tab shows, is unclickable, and instead of putting the linked grid into it's own tab, it shows it at the bottom of the grid.

If I remove the linked grid, it works fine. But I add the linked grid back in and it crashes.

In live preview I receive a script error:

Line: 3801
        Char: 46
        Error: 'this._originalNullValues[...}' is null or not an object

I'm trying to figure out how to find line 3801. When I click on the Xbasic tab, it only lists up to 1331.

Not sure why I keep having issues with linked grids, and only if there is more then one record with a linked grid.

Comment

Wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I am having a similar issue.
          http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ht=linked+grid

I am wondering if it is because the child grid is populated by a SQL trigger?

Comment

I barely remember this. My grids look nothing like this anymore, plus I have rebuilt everything in V11. And a year of learning really makes a difference.

One thing I now do, if I run into trouble is to rebuild everything, but with the most basic of everything. Then add in each change from the templates until I run into the problem, or have functioning grids.

Something I kept running into, at least early on, with V10.5 was that sometimes I would have a grid that was glitching, then if I rebuilt it, it worked fine. Eventually that became my solution for grid errors. Just build another one. Back then I didn't really add any JavaScript, or Xbasic unless it was mostly cut and paste. Now my errors mostly seem to be related to me making mistakes with either language.

Comment

Rebuilding the grids seems to be a way to 'solve' grid linkage problem. I have similar issues although the error message is different (java syntax error in my case).

For me, the 'solution' is even more drastic -- reinstalling the original V11 (error popped out after installing the interim updates). Problem gone now, but still uneasy not knowing why it happened in the first place. Perhaps Ajax errors are illusive? I hope the Alpha gurus can give us some hints here.

Comment

Did you install the update, or the release candidate? (Pr-release) I never touch the release candidate myself. The update is supposed to be stable, while the release candidate isn't as guaranteed.

If you were having issues after an update though, you can actually roll it back to a previous update. Clicking on "help", and then clicking on "download patches" will take you to the most recent update, and lower down on the page is a link to previous updates.

Oh and call it JavaScript, not Java. Two different languages. And this site is often much nicer to the people who make this mistake then other sites I have visited.

Now when I mentioned rebuilding the grid, I actually should have been a little more specific. I generally don't create the new grid to replace the old one, but I do this in an attempt to trace a problem. Sometimes I have made so many changes to a grid that I will create something new just so I have a cleaner slate to check things out. It helps me to narrow down a problem. I often don't even save these.

Also this program does allow you to roll back your grid or dialog to a previous version of it. A nice undo feature. Then there is the duplicate feature. Something else I have done is to duplicate a grid, and then I have something I can really mess around with, and even do some crazy things with, to find a problem. And I know that my original is still intact, and I can then go back and use what I learned on the copy to make the original work better. (This is also nice if you have 2 ideas about what to do with a grid. Just create one until you get to the divergent point, copy it off, and then create the different ideas, and test to see which one works better.)

When I first was learning this software, I was following some training, but I ran into a problem where I wasn't getting what the video was showing me. Well I tried again, over and over and over. By the time I finally figured things out, I had rebuilt the grid so often that while before it was taking me some time to build a grid, suddenly I could create one in no time. So as annoying as that problem was at the time, it actually pushed me forward.

Comment

Hi William, I did commit the sin to touch the candidates. Thanks for the tips on rolling back. I can try it next time if needed.

Good humor on the Javascript I am still exploring this part of the world.

Your other experience shared is also most valuable as I have come to find out the same. Nothing beats receiving the pains in the trench. However, a few good tips from the pros are always helpful.

LIKE!!

Comment

Working...
                  X