Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Sports Web? Shopping Cart Example?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Sports Web? Shopping Cart Example?

Originally posted by aburningflame View Post
    Wendy, you're replying to posts that I made before Steves cart - posts that were made a very long time ago.
    Someone asked about a cart - and I provided feedback on a portion of it.

Oops - sorry! It said there was a new post, and that looked like the last one. It must have opened to a prior page. In other forums we can delete our own posts, but apparently not here. So - I guess I can only say "sorry"
    Wendy Welton
    Architect
    past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

...just because your application has a new record inserted - doesn't mean that the cart is clogging up your application. When I go to amazon.com and I place stuff in my cart - its still there next time I login (is this 'clogging' the application?). I had never made any comments about the merit of steves work - I was merely providing you with information on how to manage a cart in session and the database.

A poor choice of words on my part perhaps. I should have said "without adding records when someone doesn't complete a purchase, which I did not want". I believe the Amazon cart uses cookies, and simply doesn't expire them, but I could be wrong. There are those who might see having a record of incomplete purchases as valuable information.
      Wendy Welton
      Architect

Comment

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
        A poor choice of words on my part perhaps. I should have said "without adding records when someone doesn't complete a purchase, which I did not want". I believe the Amazon cart uses cookies, and simply doesn't expire them, but I could be wrong. There are those who might see having a record of incomplete purchases as valuable information.
        I dont believe the amazon cart uses cookies - Im about 99% sure it uses the database (or a combination).
        Using cookies for a cart is a bad idea - especially if youre storing the $ amount - this is a BAD idea and is one of the first things we learned in college.
        $10000 tv stored in cookies....change the cookie value to $1 - you get a $1 tv - BAD BAD BAD.

More than likely it uses a guid-ish CARTID (which may be stored in a cookie) - and it stores all the cart info/cart items in the database.

A record of incomplete purchases can be useful for: 1) user usability (next time they come back they will have their items - i really like this about amazon) 2)marketing initiatives (vistaprint.com uses this - if you order business cards but dont check out - they often will send you a discount email)

A script can be written and scheduled to delete incomplete purchases after X days - provided the cart table has a timestamp of when the cart was last updated.
        ^Very efficient way of managing old and unused carts.

Anyhow - in closing - my posts were for someone who wanted to build their own cart - however, it seems that steve took over this post and is providing some sort of drop-in cart - Im glad its been useful for you :) gluck!
        Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
        REA Inc.
        http://reainc.net
        (416)-533-3777
        [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
        If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
        contact us to discuss options.

Comment

My cart only stores the cartid in a cookie. The cookie life is user defined, set at 2 days default. So if they come back to an un-purchased cart within 2 days, the cart is still there. When they make a purchase, the cart is automatically cleared But if someone abandons a cart, the items remain in the cart as orphans. I then purge orphaned cart items as part of the page refresh on the checkout page (meaning a buyer will cause orphaned items to be cleared for everyone before him). The drop-in cart is done, just making a sister-SQL version.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Scott - those are all valid points. I didn't know exactly what, but I did suspect having a permanent record of the abandoned items would be useful for some.

I'm sorry if you perceive the thread has having been taken over. I started the thread, and how/where I found the solution to my needs seemed a natural progression. If I'm wrong about that, I apologize. I did also start a separate thread to segregate the cart offering, but like conversations in real life, they tend to happen where they happen, despite anybody's best effort to steer otherwise. Maybe we should start a new thread that describes the various ways to approach it. As you've pointed out, this is not the only way.
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

Using cookies for a cart is a bad idea - especially if youre storing the $ amount - this is a BAD idea and is one of the first things we learned in college.
              $10000 tv stored in cookies....change the cookie value to $1 - you get a $1 tv - BAD BAD BAD.

To elaborate on what Steve said (at least, if I understand things correctly ) - the price of my item is not in the cookie. My prices are all in a lookup table. The cart, cookie etc only needs to know the item number. The code to both display the price in the cart and then to push things up to the payment gateway all references that - goes and gets it to display it or to check out.

Steve - did I get that right?
              Wendy Welton
              Architect

Comment

I dont believe the amazon cart uses cookies
                Yes, you can access you Amazon shopping cart from any computer anywhere.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Steve - did I get that right?
                  Yes correct. The cookie value is a GUID. Even if someone messed with the cookie on their desktop, even if they by sheer accident guessed someone elses cart GUID, all that would happen is they would be able to purchase those item like any other buyer, charging it to their credit card or paypal account.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

I like the thought of a shopping cart feature pack, but why should we have to wait for V11?
                    It has been almost 5 months since the last feature pack was released.
                    Gregg
                    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Madtowng,

This shopping cart isn't a feature pack, it's an AlphaToGo offering that you can buy soon. Alpha Five sells Steve's web template, so I'd guess they'll probably offer the cart as well.

I agree with you that there should be something for e-commerce through A5. I bought the subscription and I think I saw an e-commerce sample application on one of the emails listing stuff available. So, if you have an immediate need, you might give them a call. Or - it sounds like Scott has shopping cart stuff figured out pretty well also, and his methods providing different functionality - each way with it's own benefits. (I don't know everyone here well, so if you're an equivalently skilled developer, please don't take that as dissing your skills)
                      Wendy Welton
                      Architect

Comment

Well Steve, I beaten the bushes here looking for a shopping cart example or help and came acroos this string of questions an comments from June. You were working with Wendy to get the drop in cart up and going on her site. I see from Wendy her site is up and live. How did the shopping cart work out? and did she get it setup and operational? I've tried several flavors of grids to get something presentable but still having difficulty. Any progress on the cart from your side?
                        Jim F

Comment

Here is the updated demo site: http://ialpha5.com/cart_v3/index.a5w. The demo is set in "sandbox mode" so you can run a fake transaction if you create an account at developer.paypal.com.

This cart module is a 'drop in' module, not a full blown out website. You can add this cart to your existing website, or build one around it by adding header, footer, other pages, etc. The demo site has example pages for two different cart styles "list" and "grid". Security is turned off for now, so you can visit the "cart admin" section to poke around.

I have a couple features to add, and some instruction docs/videos to complete before it can be shipped.
                          Last edited by Steve Wood; 01-10-2013, 05:47 AM.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Here is a quick snapshot feature list as an attached PDF. Feel free to comment, suggest additional features. The items in orange are what I'd like to add before shipping, although not all are necessary. Note - the integration with PayPal for my cart is different than the one for AlphaSports. Mine is turnkey, PayPal reports the transaction back to the website (using a hidden Post). This updates status and trans log, clears the cart, provides content for MyDownloads and MyHistory, etc. Mine also goes to PayPal as a real "shopping cart" transaction, with an itemized list on the PayPal side, including Discount if applicable. AlphaSports goes over as a single one-item transaction.
                            Attached Files
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll check it out today. I do plan on getting the Framework also. Looks like a terrific product.
                              Jim

Comment

Hello Steve,
                                In the future, in addition to PayPal, will there also be a shopping cart for Visa, Mastercard, American Express ... ?

Regards,
                                Felix

Comment

Working...
                                X