Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dialog in V11 - Best new feature.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialog in V11 - Best new feature.

Hi All,

I know version 11 has a lot of cool new features (fancy charts, Mapping etc) but I gotta say the new dialogue component has to be, for me, the most important. My software requirements had a lot of parent/child features where I wanted the user to be able to save everything at once (invoices with line items, customers with multiple services etc.). I really had to wrestle with the grid setup to get these to work. The new dialogue features in V11 which allows you to easily build these types of forms and update multiple tables is amazing.

For me that is the best new feature (but maybe not the flashiest)

Agree? Disagree?

Scott

Re: Dialogue in V11 - Best new feature.

3 Oscars for Dialog Component. The repeating fields concept is just brilliant.

Comment

Re: Dialogue in V11 - Best new feature.

The repeating section idea is GREAT and I'd like to see it expanded to the grid.

Scott, I'm with you on parent/child features, I have a lot of the same requirements and would be curious how you are doing it in V10. Are you doing it with linked content, popup windows, or what? For example, how do you display an invoice with the detail line items so the user can add/edit an invoice?

Thanks,
      - Dan Hooley
      - Custom Desktop or Web database development -

Comment

Re: Dialog in V11 - Best new feature.

Hi Dan,

You can login and take a look...https://www.bizzsupportsolutions.com..create a free trial and then go to adhoc invoice.

I did it with linked content...but the problem is you need an invoice header grid before you can have a detail grid. So you will see that they first pick the customer to create the invoice...afterwhich I use an after event to create the record in the header table via xbasic, so that when the invoice is displayed there is the header record and detail records can be added.

It works but the problem is I have to create the header row and save it, so even if they decide not to add line items to the invoice they still show that invoice as being created...not a huge problem since most people create an invoice to use it, but not perfect either. With the dialogue component I can have both the header and the detail blank until they save the whole record. So can't wait to switch over to that new method but so much testing to ensure it works like old way be a bit of time

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott for sharing that. Very impressive website, btw!

Looks like you are using a5w pages to display the grids. I'm a little weak when it comes to a5w page layout, but I think I'll explore that idea. Is the linked content grid (invoice line items) in the "header" grid or did you insert them separately into the a5w page?

And how did you do the buttons, "Save Invoice Header", "Delete Invoice", etc?

Thanks
          - Dan Hooley

Comment

I'm curious about how this works with existing records--obviously if you have a new invoice with items to be added, it looks like the new dialog component would be ideal. I've got a setup where essentially the invoice already exists and I need to add the items to it and hit save, quickly moving to the next invoice that needs items assigned. Would the dialog component handle this alright, or would you have to open the dialog from a queried grid for each invoice?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback on the website. The layout of the pages is 90% plain old HTML and CSS even though its .a5w. I basically design the pages I want and then plop the Alpha component where I want it. The insert feature for components makes it pretty simple. In terms of the insert into the page, because the grids are linked when I insert the header grid the detail grid which is linked is added automatically. You dont see it on the A5w page design view but when its rendered the detailed part shows up.

In terms of the buttons, those are "Action Buttons". You can create action buttons in the property section of the grid and assign your own custom buttons, which I just uploaded as .gif files. I then I assigned the appropriate actions to the buttons (save, cancel etc.)

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

Hi christappan,

Thats a good questions, I would have to assume that there is a way to load historical data into a dialogue view so it can be further modified but not sure...perhaps Alpha can comment here.

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

For loading existing records, I presume you would do it just as in the old dialog.

Take the primary key for the record you want to display and in the initialize event, look up the values in the table and set the currentform.controls.fieldname.value = looked up value.

You'll have to work harder to make sure the control types are correct, but it works fine (and fast!)
                  Pat Bremkamp
                  MindKicks Consulting

Comment

It does work fast, Pat? Similar in speed to a detail view popup? Are you using it on the v11 beta?

Comment

I am curious, Scott, what you used to get the rounded corners on your frames

Comment

Christappan,
                        That is how we did it in V10 and before...there, it was fast...faster than a grid. No, I have not tried it in the V11 Beta.
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

FWIW, I got word from Selwyn that they are working on "providing server-side actions to populate a dialog and all of the repeating sections with data from existing records." I think this will make the new dialog much more useful and easy to use. Can't wait.
                          - Dan Hooley

Comment

Thanks Dan. That'd be great--presumably much easier to use and faster.

Comment

Very clear - and professional - good mix of html and alpha - well done.
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                              X