Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new ..calendar component in v11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new ..calendar component in v11

People, if a saleperson told you that "calendar is included" in a bundle, they didn't understand the question, and thought you were asking about the Calendar component, not the Web2Cal license. We've tried to make it clear since day one that you'd need a Web2Cal license to deploy the Calendar component.

Comment

Martin - thanks for that. I have already spoken extensively with Sam Paul and indeed have a trial license (the one that Suresh is speaking of). I can showcase it - and that's a step in the right direction. That said, I can't sell it to many of my clients due to their small size vs the cost. And yes, I'm looking at all sorts of ways around this, many of which have been mentioned in this thread.

I gather from what Wendy says that more good news on the volume front may be forthcoming.

Thanks as always Martin!

Comment

Re: Wendy's goin' all off road!

Originally posted by Jim Coltz View Post
        Some additional license information:
        Hello Everyone,

Web2Cal offers flexible and reasonable licensing option that will satisfy all developers.

Web2Cal does not limit the number of developers using the calendar. Any number of developers or team can work on the calendar and only purchase a domain license when you are going live on a domain. I agree this option is perfect for the bigger organizations, who don�t have many sites to deploy.

For those who build applications and sell to small business owners in larger number, Web2Cal offers a Flexible sliding scale bulk pricing. The price per domain comes down as you purchase more licenses. This model will give you less margin up front but pays back as you sell more of your product.

For those who simply want to build and showcase it to the potential buyer and purchase a license after the buyer is convinced, you can get a Trial License key. Simply email [email protected] with the domain and trial period ( not more than 2 weeks, please. You may qualify for another trial license after this period ).

Alright, if the above don�t work, reach out to [email protected] to get a trial license for a larger period of time like 6 Months ( this is not free, but the cost is a lot lesser ). After which point if you know the number of licenses you need (preferably above 15 ), then purchase Bulk License all licenses at 50% discount. The 6Month Trial license paid upfront will not be refunded.

In my opinion this is a very flexible licensing model. I hope this clears all the confusion about Web2Cal Licensing and Pricing.

Thanks,
        Web2Cal
        Web2Cal Employee,
        [email protected] | www.web2cal.com

For technical questions, contact [email protected]
        For general sales, Trial license, licensing, bulk-licensing, license for non-profit, contact [email protected]
        For Documentation, visit www.web2cal.com

Comment

People, if a saleperson told you that "calendar is included" in a bundle, they didn't understand the question, and thought you were asking about the Calendar component, not the Web2Cal license. We've tried to make it clear since day one that you'd need a Web2Cal license to deploy the Calendar component.
          Martin,
          I have been in sales and marketing for over 50 years and considered a master sales person. Believe me, I knew what questions to ask and made sure there was no question about what was needed/wanted. I even offered that maybe the sales person might need to be sure about some of the things stated.

Believe me, I could never trust that one again. Sad part is, I didn't want what he was selling anyhow.

Little TRUE story: I told a hesitant lady customer that when she got home with her new car, she could press the little homelink button and her garage door would open. I even went to her house to set it up. Found when I got there that she had no auto door opener. It cost me(out of my own pocket) a complete garage opener and install. No, I never wrote it down on paper for her, but I said it.

Have a nice day!
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
            Little TRUE story: I told a hesitant lady customer that when she got home with her new car, she could press the little homelink button and her garage door would open. I even went to her house to set it up. Found when I got there that she had no auto door opener. It cost me(out of my own pocket) a complete garage opener and install. No, I never wrote it down on paper for her, but I said it.

Have a nice day!
            Good thing she had a garage
            Bill Griffin
            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Now thats funny

Here is a funny lawsuit over literal things. Elderly lady purchased a RV and while driving down the road clicked the auto-cruise button and got up and proceeded to make herself a coffee. The RV crashed and was written off. She sued and got a brand new RV which now has a button that says cruise control.

People can be very literal. We all have to be aware of it.
              Last edited by chadbrown; 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM.
              Chad Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
                Good thing she had a garage
                Oh man, now THAT would have bit it big time. Not that an opener is cheap, but....
                Wendy Welton
                Architect
                past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

You know, as I think about it, he said the first price break comes after 5 licenses. I really think we need to lobby for there to be a price break starting at either the second or third license. Most companies have the price break for add-on licenses start with the second one. But, the Web2Cal public licensing page already has packages for 2, so I can see them holding to that. But with it not starting until five, what's a developer to do with those first ten customers? If the first license goes on your own web site, maybe you take a hit on the first one for a customer. But do you P/O your first 4 customers when they find out customer number 5 paid less? Or do you take a loss on the first 4....?
                  Wendy Welton
                  Architect

Comment

Originally posted by mheller View Post
                    Martin,

1 - If someone gets to the web2Cal web site by clicking the link from your post #74 here, they will only see the retail prices, unnecessarily freaking out your A5 people.

2 - And somewhere, that I can't find now, I saw a link to a purchase page that did have the reduced price for A5 users, but it had only the single license price, not any of the other options. It didn't even have the 2 domain option - and I gathered from Sam that the reductions carry through all their options.

3 - Dude, "People", really? Ross Perot learned the hard way "People" is not considered an endearment. It's considered a scold. And yes, I'm "duding" you because you "peopled" us! I think you would be woefully optimistic if you assumed your sales people always were 100% forthcoming and accurate. It's their job to make sure they understand the question. The person asking won't know enough yet to even know what/how to ask. And - they are on commission right? A commissioned sales person has never ever in all of human history perhaps stayed on the legal side of the line but answered questions in a way designed to close the sale, not to make sure the purchaser gets the right product for them and feels all warm and fuzzy afterwards. (yes, that was unabashed sarcasm - not directed at A5 specifically, but directed at all of humanity since the dawn of time!) I live in the real world. If you don't want your sales people lining their pockets at the expense of your reputation (or worse, it's enough money that it could actually come back and bite you legally), you should have a standard disclosure that they read when asked about the calendar - imnsho.

The rub here is not that a third party licensing is required, but that it's per domain, which is different than A5.

This particular very happy A5 user is not going to just let this slide. Sometimes it's the duty of happy and loyal users to look out for the company making the product they enjoy, whether the company thinks its fun or convenient or not, by being a PITA when it's perceived that the company isn't quite "getting it" when honest feedback is provided. I've had a couple of my builders drill things into me when I didn't want to listen, and thank God for that - 'cause they were right and they made my business more successful. So please take this scolding as delivered with affection, (and don't run over my computer with a truck!)
                    Wendy Welton
                    Architect

Comment

My Friends,

You are dropping into a rut here. Pay top price for the first 1 or 5? Doesn't matter! The negotiation is going the way of vendor. That is still an outside vendor!!!

Once you(vendor) have your product and it is working right, anything(from asking) you sell it for is 80% or more profit. lets see cost = 649*.20 = 129.80 and that is cost of all factors including potential updates with some left over for future updates. This is an average, not a definite.

Are you still going to negotiate for the prices you say?

Suggest: Build your own! Stay with all in alpha for alpha by alpha developer(s).

Please "THINK"

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but 53 years of selling experience here. I love when a potential client or client base is negotiating like you are if I am the vendor. It makes my life very easy.

MEAT-my suggestion if you want this vendor: Join forces and negotiate as a pack ONLY. No one buys except in a group. This is kinda what Alpha has attempted to do. Pool your orders. Never less than about 50 orders at a time. You can get this component for about 150 per copy, I think, but don't start here. Start at about 75.00 per copy and negotiate for unlimited distribution over your own sites with your customers paying you. Of course you should pay more for that client's site and make money on it. You, the developer are going to have to support it with your vendor helping.

Use this: Every time that calendar is deployed, more exposure is out there for the vendor. You can help them as much as they can help you.

I can promise you, I would never pay anywhere near anthing like the price listed or the prces you are trying to negotiate.

Also, another suggestion. When a new component is coming out, never sell your clients on that component until it is set in concrete what the costs and workload will be before you ever mention it to your clients. Keep it a secret until then!

Good Luck!
                      Last edited by DaveM; 10-29-2011, 12:12 PM.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

You know, as I think about it, he said the first price break comes after 5 licenses. I really think we need to lobby for there to be a price break starting at either the second or third license. Most companies have the price break for add-on licenses start with the second one. But, the Web2Cal public licensing page already has packages for 2, so I can see them holding to that. But with it not starting until five, what's a developer to do with those first ten customers? If the first license goes on your own web site, maybe you take a hit on the first one for a customer. But do you P/O your first 4 customers when they find out customer number 5 paid less? Or do you take a loss on the first 4....?
                        Again! You do not need to LOBBY, youy need to negotiate! You need to do it as a bulk purchase! Get a group together! I sold some small to very large corporations in fleet sales where they bought from 5 to 1200 vehicles a year and when all was done, I counted dollar bills instead of 100's. 1.00 * 1200 = ? and better than 0.00.

You have to make sure the vendor understands it is all or nothing. I do not want the vendor to go broke or work for nothing. They need to make some money and the exposure alpha people will give them can do this.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

check this site:

http://dhtmlx.com/index.shtml

I think I saw it in a post above this one. I looked at web2cal and was NOT impressed. I believe this to be a better deal off the top before any negotiation. 649 for any done by the same registered user can spread the cost over many apps made by yuo

Open Source - GPL - Allows the use of dhtmlxCalendar in GPL projects for free.

Commercial License* - Allows you to use dhtmlxCalendar in one project (application) with an unlimited number of copies. With this license, you receive 1 month of technical support (or 5 support requests within 12 months) and one major update. This license costs $49.

Enterprise License* - Allows you to use dhtmlxCalendar in an unlimited number of projects on the condition that all of them are developed by one company. Free support and upgrades are provided for the first 12 months. This license costs $99.

*dhtmlxCalendar is included in dhtmlxSuite. When purchasing a Commercial or Enterprise license for dhtmlxSuite, you get dhtmlxCalendar included for free.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave where is the support for multiple calendars? What specifically were you not impressed with web2cal about. Have you built a web calendar component using web2cal and or this one? Can you show us an example of why this one is so good.
                            Chad Brown

Comment

Chad,

That sounded a little like a challenge, but I think I know you better. First, I really don't want either! I prefer to make my own or pay you(or someone else) for the one you develope in alpha with alpha products.

I have no intention of using or building a web calendar/scheduler with either one to this point. I spoke based on the speed of the demo's on their websit and I do not like the looks. To me, it is not to taste. Then of course, I am a hillbilly redneck(translated = country boy).

I did like the other one I visited and the facts for me: less expensive and more for the developer to work with. Thus my vote and it would probably be a decision I would make.

I am working on a desktop calendar/scheduler. Not sure if I will succeed or if it will be what others would want if finished. I do not have to have one, but it could have uses.

Just had a 30 minute discussion with "Ms wendy welton" about the calendars. We will see what comes along for you web folks.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

@Dave
                                I see the Scheduler, is that what you are referring to?

I think their Scheduler is what would be needed. It's pricing is a little more but not ridiculous. $149 per project with unlimited sites, $649 for unlimited projects and sites.

It looks much more reasonable from a pricing standpoint. I have no clue on how it compares to web2cal, but I suspect someone who knows both could tell us.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X