Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't start new file?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't start new file?!?!

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
    Frank,

Is that from your Windows 7 64 bit machine? Are you on Windows 7 Professional?

Here's my dot net, clearly different from yours:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29746[/ATTACH]
    It looks like you have the latest dot net framework. I have found out that the directory size does not indicate anything as the size can change depending on what software you have installed. That's all I have. I hope you two get it resolved cause V11 is outstanding.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

OK boys and girls, Cian (an A5 dude) has just spent a good amount of time playing quietly by himself in my machine via GotoMeeting and has found something to fix that hopefully will resolve this. He's working on a patch. We won't know if it solves all of it until it's tested. He's also finding lots of reports amongst software developers of problems with File Open and File New, so it's not a problem unique to A5. And this is only affect some of us, not all - so it may be that there's something going on where some configurations are more forgiving of the underlying problem than others. So - stay tuned, smarter people than I are working on it!
      Wendy Welton
      Architect
      past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

Success!!! Downloaded the new patch this morning, and all is working!!!!

Thanks Selwyn and Cian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Well I'm so happy for you! Sort of. OK, I'm actually jealous. I'm still not fixed. I wanna use the new stuff!!!!! But then again I had a File Open and File New problem in addition to yours, and he thought they might not even be the same issue. And we have at least one of the serious gurus with a client with my exact problem. So, they're still working on it.

Anybody with similar problems:

1 - If you had only the problem of controls not showing up in Web Projects Control Panel, do the latest update, will probably fix it. If it does not - [email protected] with all your symptoms and system specs please.

2 - If you are unable to use New or Open from the File menu - [email protected] with a good round of information. Since this could be operating system and/or video drivers and/or something in A5 and/or interference from another program, appropriate first round of info to send:

Exactly what symptoms you're having, of course. If you can't use File Open or File New, can you open an application by right clicking the file? Once you get in, can you see controls in Web Projects? Whatever you can or can't see, try to do some things and see if you crash or not...

Then also:
          System specs - processor, ram, video card
          Operating system - type, with update (ie, not just Windows 7, but Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, SP1)
          Video driver - (Control Panel - Device Drivers - Display Adapters - Driver tab - screen shot is good)
          Other installed programs - (Control Panel - Programs and Features - just some screen shots of the list, probably will take a couple of screen shots).

On behalf of both myself, my cat and anybody and everybody we will save from this particular circle of heck in the future - thank you for helping!
          Wendy Welton
          Architect

Comment

And - another update.

After Cian spent many hours logged into my machine via GotoMeeting and we still hadn't solved it, I took my machine to Burlington! (After discussing it with all first, of course). Working over the internet has it's limitations. I'm only 45 minutes away. And, I have an alternate machine to use in the meantime.

It was very very very tempting to just say "oh screw it" and reinstall Windows 7, but that would just pass the problem on to the next guy. There are not massive amounts of people with this issue, but I'm told there are a few more, and that there were a few before me who just reinstalled Windows 7, which short circuited true solution attempts. (In their defense, he said they speak little or no English, so troubleshooting would have been brutally difficult).

So, if you run into this - can't File- Open, can't File - New, and/or can't see controls in Web App Control Panel (either all or part of the time):

1 - Send them a bug report with as much info as you can, particularly about other installed programs, including any you many have uninstalled (that might have changed Windows settings), and....

2 - Hang tight. They can now do everything, use every power tool they have, to find the problem except light the offending machine on fire. Well, almost everything. I wouldn't want them to run it over with a truck either, although i've had that impulse in the last week and a half!

There was one last step we hadn't taken when I put that box in my car and headed down the road - one of the errors Cian saw in debugging referred to Kasperky. We discounted it because a) I had run with Kaspersky off and b) I have Kaspersky on my laptop, which is running A5 V11 just fine. Then when running MSConfig yet again, I noticed something I had not before - when I uncheck Kaspersky in both Start and in Services, if I go back and look after "Apply", it's rechecked itself! I uninstalled it completely, put on MS Security Essentials instead - A5 V11 still same problems. But I did not try uninstalling and reinstalling A5 V11 after that (because Cian had put a bunch of debugging tools on and I didn't want to blow that away). They had it on their VPN in Burlington before I left and a new uninstall/reinstall was the first thing he was going to do (at 7 pm on a Friday night yet! Having been working on this with Cian for more than a week now, I can promise you it's not unsolved for lack of effort - I've gotten many an email from him way way way after standard work day is done.)

Then when we were firing it up in Burlington and I told him that, Martin said they had problems with Kaspersky 2010, but not Kaspersky 2011. My laptop is new, but the desktop is not - desktop is definitely old enough that it will have had K 2010 on it at some point.

So - I'm going to post a new thread to ask if anyone out there has or has had Kaspersky 2010. Some program I have or had at some point changed something in Windows 7, replaced a dll or something... Uninstalling a program doesn't necessarily go and roll back changes like that. Cian looked at various file lists in Windows 7 and they don't match his.
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

Well, I think not a single other vendor of a development tool would have gone that far. The dedication & passion from the Alpha people is truly exceptional.

Now my 2 cents for good practice: use an imaging program like Ghost and make an image of your PC when it's fresh installed. Then make incremental images as you install stuff or what the heck -a gigabyte doesn't cost a penny- make another full image of your PC. Run into trouble ? Make another one to freeze the situation & revert to an older one. It is simple, straight forward and will save you one day. If it isn't for configuration issues then for backup purposes. Another thing to watch out for is trying to buy a PC without bloatware because even uninstalling bloatware can leave traces that at some point interfere.
              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                Well, I think not a single other vendor of a development tool would have gone that far. The dedication & passion from the Alpha people is truly exceptional.
                and.....

When I very hesitantly suggested it, thinking they'd think I was 100% bonkers, they jumped right at it - and apparently it's not the first time! I'm sure it's reserved for the stickiest and severest of problems, but apparently machines have even been shipped to Burlington on rare occasion.

Yes - it's impressive. I can't think of any other software where the intolerance of true bugs is higher. In this case, we don't even know if it's an A5 bug, or if it's just some other software throwing a monkey wrench into things. In either case, I very much appreciate that they won't tolerate their software not running. They actually didn't want me to just reinstall Windows 7, even though that likely would solve it and move it off the "problem" list. They truely do want to know the cause so they can either fix or adapt. A wise stance, btw - 'cause if it won't run, the person trying the demo....

Enlightened self interest or not - it's definitely to be applauded.
                Wendy Welton
                Architect

Comment

Replied in the Kapersky Thread - Adding here also
                  Same issues - Can not open file - Need to check your other issues i.e. web project etc. I have been so focused on opening my 10.5 application. ;) I have done all the same - uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded again etc.

Win 7 Home Premium SP1
                  Kapersky 2011

I have a laptop but it is pretty much the same environment i.e. Win7 & Kapersky - That one probably had 2010 on it but I have not tried it. I am currently trying to install 11 on my hosting environment to try there. I need to see what other info you need that may help figure out the issue.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by ldano99 View Post
                    Replied in the Kapersky Thread - Adding here also
                    Same issues - Can not open file - Need to check your other issues i.e. web project etc. I have been so focused on opening my 10.5 application. ;) I have done all the same - uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded again etc.

Win 7 Home Premium SP1
                    Kapersky 2011

I have a laptop but it is pretty much the same environment i.e. Win7 & Kapersky - That one probably had 2010 on it but I have not tried it. I am currently trying to install 11 on my hosting environment to try there. I need to see what other info you need that may help figure out the issue.

Lisa
                    Please send tons of info about your system and other software to [email protected] - see post 79

I had an email from Cian (A5 dude troubleshooting this) that the debugging software he's using to examine my machine does find errors, but they haven't yet tracked down the cause. The more data they can gather from anybody having these or similar problems, the more it will help them narrow down where to look at what to try.

At this point it seems highly likely that one or more other programs change some things in Windows 7 upon install. It could be a program you have currently, or one you had in the past and uninstalled. So even if it feels like some ridiculous list - more info is better than less. Even if the route cause is other software, they can still probably put something in A5 that keeps it from stopping us dead in our tracks.

On the bright side - it's kinda fortuitous that I transferred my critical work life to my laptop so my computer could go have a stay at the "Software Hospital" - 'cause this freak storm that hit the Northeast knocked my house out - I'm nomading around to various places with power outlets and/or wifi - at Panera Bread right now where there's a whole group of us gathered in one area - it's the "no power" zone!

And - how cool is it that most of my business's admin is now on my web site via login - thanks to my having switched to A5? I'm nowhere near as dead in the water as before!
                    Wendy Welton
                    Architect

Comment

Just sent in my info. Glad you found power! I am sure hoping this storm is not an indicator of things to come. Luckily we only got rain! PHEW!

Comment

Pardon me for jumpin in, just a wild wild shoot in the dark. I had problems with my Avira Antivir crashing some apps, which i fixed by installing the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable found here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en..._121LSUS007998
                        It installs in 10 seconds and doesn't even require a reboot, so it's worth trying...

Jaime

Comment

Jaime,

Not a bad idea - but we already did that. Hmmm, I guess we did think it was a good idea! But it didn't fix it. Sigh. Big Sigh.

On the bright side - I have electricity again! And with electricity, my furnace comes back on - so I have both lights and heat! Wahooo!!!!!
                          Wendy Welton
                          Architect

Comment

Wendy,
                            Noticed in the beginning of the thread you tried installing *2005* redistributable, not 2008...
                            Good to hear electricity in NH is back, i have a good friend over there who probably went nuts without it :-)

Comment

Yes - the 2005 version is what machine had, and what my computer dude thought was appropriate for some reason. I'll pass this on to Cian - maybe that's the key!
                              Wendy Welton
                              Architect

Comment

Update - they've traced the problem to two specific microsoft libraries, and have been in touch with MS about it - are waiting to hear back. So - those with this issue, sit tight - they're working their way to a reliable solution.
                                Wendy Welton
                                Architect

Comment

Working...
                                X