Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

All session variables protected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All session variables protected?

Somewhere in the flood of info about V11, I remember (or maybe I dreamed) that in V11 all session variables are protected. So, we no longer need to designate them as __protected__.

Is that true, or did I just have one too many single malts that night?
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Re: All session variables protected?

I read that as well - no comment on your single malt status...

Comment

Yes, it's true. See the Session Variables heading on http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Applic...hanges+for+V11

Continuing to name them with __protected__ will not hurt anything, except maybe your fingers from the extra typing. The larger issue to be aware of though is in cases where legacy applications may be depending on a Session variable being created from the query string or a form field. These cases now need server-side code to read the GET/POST variable and explicitly create a Session variable.

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks for the link. While I see having all session variables protected as a benefit, the following is a concern:

Session variables can only be strings (type "C"). While this limitation has always been implied, it has not always been strictly enforced, so legacy code may store other data types as session variables. Going forward, this will not be possible, as it will break session persistence.

Guess I missed that implication! I have created a number of session variables of type N since switching to SQL. So, this means in my V8, V9, and V10 to V 11 conversions, these need to be changed to character?

Is there a way to search for the location of every use of a particular variable?
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I am programmed to type __protected__; hopefuly I can deprogram. All session vars as character makes it more convenient because you don't have to guess how you dimmed it elsewhere. I am guilty of dimming session vars as numeric since most of my primary keys are numeric. Whenever someone put session var assignment in a URL many of us counceled against that practice, so not suprised to see that it is now prohibited; anyone who did that has to redesign their link.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Lenny, question on session vars only being character. Does that mean if an existing application has a session var dimmed as N, that in a future release of V11 that application will break because it will not allow the session var to be dimmed or used as a N? I note that right now (v11:2237-3828) it IS possible to dim a session var as N and that ?typeof(session.myvar) will return N if it has been dimmed as N elsewhere in the system.

Read: Do I need to go back and retrofit any application that uses N dimmed session vars if I intend to keep current on V11 patches?
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Applications running under the V11 Xbasic web server will continue to work.

Applications running under IIS as the web server may need to be modified if you have non-Character types.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Is there a way to search for the location of every use of a particular variable?
                Pat, your question made me curious, so I tried using Edit on top toolbar in Web Projects Control Panel, then Search In All Web Project Files. I typed in session. as my search and it looks like it is finding everywhere that I have used a session variable. What's nice about that search feature is that it shows where it is located and the whole string that the session. was included in.

Lenny... now I'm all alarmed.. We do not use Alpha's security for several reasons that have to do with our multi tenant structure. I use a numerical session variable to establish a user's level of permission, and have used that extensively throughout my application. I check to see if the session variable is less than some number to determine if the user can open a grid, click a button, etc., etc. It's used in all kinds of show/hide and enable properties. Are you saying that all of that could break for me in a future version?
                Carol King
                Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
                http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Carol -

While I'm curious to hear Lenny's response, I suspect that the solution would be to cast the numeric as a character type and you could work right around it. It makes sense to me why they might have to go there in order to use IIS - IIS Session variables are Strings as I recall.

That's probably why they are warning us at this early of a stage.

Comment

Yes, Carol, you may need to tweak your code to move forward. Jeff is correct in that it is a limitation in the IIS session management, and that the fix (at least in your case) is pretty straightforward because strings are easily converted to and from numerics.

We are hoping to be able to provide support for additional data types in session variables under IIS, but we cannot guarantee it as of now while we can guarantee that strings will definitely work. We've never said anything other than strings would work, but we haven't actively prevented them in the past either, so we want to provide an early warning now about potential issues that may be encountered when moving forward.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Carol,

Thanks for pointing out the search feature. Using it, I was able to convert my two most used session variables from numeric to character in a little under two hours, and while I was at it, I removed the __protected__ which is no longer needed which makes it easier to type and read. As I went through, I found that I had converted numeric to character (to put the value in strings ) about as many times as I now convert character to numeric, so going forward is shouldn't be much of a burden, and I won't have to try to remember which is which. (that's a silver lining statement).

I always wondered why the session variable from security was character even when the value was numeric? Now I know.

Pat
                      Pat Bremkamp
                      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

So, just for clarity... before I change anything. Like I said, I currently have a numeric session variable to determine what a user has access to. Let's call it session.acesslevel (which is not what I really use). So.... if that session variable is changed to a character, will I be able to enable a button only if the session.accesslevel value is a 3 or less as follows: SESSION.ACCESSLEVEL <= 3 in the button's Enable property condition? Or will that fail without doing some sort of conversion to numeric, and where would I do that? Or, do I just put apostrophes around the 3 in the enable condition and, if so, will it evaluate the less than or equal correctly??
                        Carol King

Comment

Carol, I think the best way to get your answers is with a bit of interactive window experimentation, as it will show you exactly how character and numeric variables interact with each other. Here's a bit to get you started, but feel free to try some other tests as well.

Code:
                          dim testvar as c
                          testvar = 4
                          ?testvar
                          = "4"

?testvar >= 3
                          ERROR: Argument is incorrect data type [COLOR="#FF0000"]'This means you cannot directly compare the two different types[/COLOR]

?testvar >= "3"
                          = .T. [COLOR="#FF0000"]'This seems like the correct result...[/COLOR]

?testvar >= "30"
                          = .T. '[COLOR="#FF0000"]'But this shows that comparing as strings is essentially comparing the alphabetic order of words[/COLOR]

?val(testvar) >=3 
                          = .T. [COLOR="#FF0000"]'Now [URL="http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/VAL+Function"]val()[/URL] is used to get the numeric value of what is stored in the string for comparison to a number[/COLOR]

?val(testvar) >= 30
                          = .F. [COLOR="#FF0000"]'And since you are comparing as numbers now, the comparison is correct here as well[/COLOR]

?val("this string isn't a number")
                          = 0 [COLOR="#FF0000"]'Just be careful about using val() when the variable's content doesn't represent a number[/COLOR]
                          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM. Reason: commenting and linked val() to wiki

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Thanks so much, Lenny. That tells me what I'll need to do. It's pretty irritating, though, because my job won't be just 2 hours like Pat's, I'm afraid. I have used that type of condition probably in more than a hundred different places by now and it annoys me that I would have to stop all my other coding and take a bunch of time to comb back through everything to change this... with some chance of missing it in an overlooked place. Can I expect more things in future versions that would suddenly break all of my components? Makes me worry....
                            Carol King

Comment

Just to reiterate Carol, nothing is going to suddenly break. You do not need to stop what you are doing to modify existing code. If you never move beyond V11's Xbasic web server, you will never need to make any changes.

We are making customers aware of a potential future issue. We suggest that all NEW code you write from now on uses only character variables. Additionally, if you do plan to move beyond V11's Xbasic web server, you should begin planning updates to existing code at a convenient time in your development cycle.
                              Last edited by Al Buchholz; 11-18-2011, 07:29 PM.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Working...
                              X