Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conund

Bob,

I can see that pre-testing model in a large-company, but difficult given that most of us are small shops.

Anyway, I take a different approach due to the size of my company and my faith in Alpha - as needed:

I typically wait a week or two before committing. During that time I listen to conversations on the forum, I discuss with my inside group (a half dozen or so guys/gals seen frequently on this forum) and I play with some of the new features on my Scratch application.

When I finally do patch up, I do it for ALL of my applications currently under production and all applications running on my servers for all clients, all at once. For instance, all of my client applications are now on V11 WAS, even though the native code is V11, V10 or V9. Obviously there are certian things I need to do to a V10 or V9 application to make it run on V11 WAS, but not much. There are also things I should do in them to take advantage of V11, but I often delay that step. I have complete faith in Alpha -- IF I find that something slipped by and broke due to the patch, I can fix it, work around it, or get Alpha to fix it.

Having said that, I am also conservative in my programming. I DON'T put in newely released Feature Pack stuff until I know how to use them, which takes long enough to find out if they have any problems.

Bob - also wanted to say I visited your website and reviewed your Proposed A5 Tutorial - nice to have you on board.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Re: Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conund

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      I have complete faith in Alpha -- IF I find that something slipped by and broke due to the patch, I can fix it, work around it, or get Alpha to fix it.
      Ahhh Steve, but that's the difference. You have the ability fix it. I dare say, most Alpha folks do not. After all, that's why they bought Alpha. They didn't need to have the ability. You expertise is such that Alpha holds you, as well as several others, in high esteem, enough so that when you "bark", they listen. Most of us are not in that league. My curiosity would like you to elaborate a bit and explain what you mean when you say "I have complete faith in Alpha". What is it where you have complete faith?

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
        ..... slow down a bit to catch your breath by making sure the small stuff works. If you don't, you will eventually find yourself in a "meltdown" and someone else will take your place, using your product or parts of it, to start their own merry-go-round.......

.....Now that's something to think about. Not only does it apply to Alpha, but it applies to all of us as individuals as well. Life is a merry-go-round. Sometimes we must slow it down to smell the roses.
        Hello Ken, I couldn't agree more with your post!
        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Kenn

when you state the following

"You expertise is such that Alpha holds you, as well as several others, in high esteem, enough so that when you "bark", they listen."

We are not perfect and certainly not superhuman but we do try to take all feedback seriously and spend a LOT of time investigating any issues that people raise.

On the broader topic of the rate at which we bring out new features we are living in a fast moving world and we feel that constantly innovating is important!

For example if you look at one of the feature packs that will be released soon http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5a1...726d05747c1371 you are able to build functionality into your site/app in about 30 minutes that otherwise would take days or weeks.

At the end of the day productivity is key here.

Another example -- here is an email I received this week from an Alpha Five customer

Robin Bennett
          Feb 24 (2 days ago)

to me, selwyn
          http://robinbennett.blogspot.com/201...lpha-five.html

Took us 5 days in total…

Robin Bennett
          Director
          Start Technology (Software) Ltd
          Winners of the ICT Excellence Award

e: [email protected]
          startsoftware
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
            Ahhh Steve, but that's the difference. You have the ability fix it. I dare say, most Alpha folks do not. After all, that's why they bought Alpha. They didn't need to have the ability. You expertise is such that Alpha holds you, as well as several others, in high esteem, enough so that when you "bark", they listen. Most of us are not in that league. My curiosity would like you to elaborate a bit and explain what you mean when you say "I have complete faith in Alpha". What is it where you have complete faith?

kenn
            That's the reality of things. Alpha has gone "high scale" and is designing a product for advanced users/developers. (intentionally or not) It's a complex tool, "not for the faint of heart", to say the least..... (You have to be very disciplined to become proficient.) Whether this is good or bad in the long run, I don't know. But a casual user just can't develop a level of proficiency without a considerable investment in time. And very few "casual users" even have the time in the first place anyways, so this may be a moot issue.........

Maybe the two split versions (desktop only and web only) will help realign the product for the less tech savvy users.... Time will tell.

~Actually, the way Alpha used to sell their entry level product makes the most sense to me: Sell a previous desktop version to "newbies" at a significantly reduced price WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO REPORT BUGS. ~ This enables "newbies" on board with "hardened" / more refined code at a great deal.... Fewer problems means easier learning and less frustrations for everyone..... (And of course, the users that stick with it will want to buy future versions and help build a larger user-base)........
            Last edited by SNusa; 02-26-2012, 02:25 AM.
            Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
            It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
            RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

At the end of the day productivity is key here.
              - Richard - I agree with you.. that's the whole point of this thread, reliability and consistency brings productivity. - It's a great product Richard - make it better by, making it better, then grow it in functionality - small steps can also travel far..
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

A couple mis-statements about me in last few posts. I am not any elite Alpha programmer. I work hard, and I screw up a lot and use Trial and Error like anyone else. I don't know SQL, CSS or coming well enough, and I am still comming to grips with client-side and e. I don't "bark" at Alpha, that would be shooting myself in the foot, plus they have earned my respect and don't owe me anything. If I need something I ask and use my resources. There are many recent brand new developers up here with far less knowledge than me, and building products equal or better than what I might build. In fact, I get my inspiration from them; ladies.

Someone asked me to elaborate on my statement "I have complete faith in Alpha". There are two answers to that: 1) the product is stable, I've never lost a project and never lost more than a few days due to any bug, its keeping up with technology and ahead of the curve, and 2) having complete faith is the only way to get anything done -- I've adopted the attitude that if something doesn't work, that this is MY problem. Like even if there were a real bug keeping me from moving forward. Well, that's MY problem, not theirs. And if I want it fixed, and only Alpha can do it, that is still my problem. If for some strange reason they don't fix it, gotta move on.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Good words Steve... I'm also coming to grips with many things, and like you rely totally on this product for my income week-to-week (there would not be many on this board in that situation i'd say), so reliability is king. And like you, many come to me for development and assistance and mentoring and that generates income - but that's not the income I'm relying on, it's applications and they have to work..and work..and work... As for me sounding negative and being written off as a waste of time, well time will tell.. but i'll say it again "Reliability is King". As for what my issue is with Selwyn, well it's certainly not his ability.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

If we want apps that work forever, we should go back to DOS. Really, I have several DOS apps that just won't quit. I'm even installing DOSBox on a family members new Windows 7 machine so they can continue to run an application I wrote for them in 1993.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Good old DOS - re
                      If we want apps that work forever, we should go back to DOS. Really
                      - between builds would be just fine, forever - well you never know..

Comment

On a different aspect, about the little black sambo story, I thought we couldn't use that any more because it was not politically correct :)

Bob
                        Last edited by bobalston; 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM.
                        Bob Alston
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
                        Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Hello Richard,

We are not perfect and certainly not superhuman but we do try to take all feedback seriously and spend a LOT of time investigating any issues that people raise.
                          That's why I said in Post #87, "It is good for Alpha to read this type of thread." I don't believe the comments on this thread are meant to be negative towards Alpha or are in mean spirit. Rather, my posts #58 and #87 reflect exactly your next comment.

On the broader topic of the rate at which we bring out new features we are living in a fast moving world and we feel that constantly innovating is important!
                          The whole point of the comments made by me and others is that Alpha is truly a great revolutionary product. Because Alpha is what it is, there will be hiccups and frustrations; another reason for the “pups to bark”. The ‘criticism’ here should be taken as positive, just letting Alpha know there are issues which need to be addressed.

Kenn
                          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Kenn - I appreciate your comments greatly. Thanks.

On a point I made in my earlier post about taking ALL feedback from everyone seriously, I just wanted wanted to mention a recent situation we had with a customer (one of the people on this thread) who contacted us about their app saying that certain aspects were slow. We spent a good amount of time analyzing the app and were able to trace it back to the fact that the app is using Access MDB files as its backend vs a SQL database. We then ran the same app against SQL and saw speed improvements in the 10X range.
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

That person on this thread with the slow navigation issue was me. And I raise a toast in salute to the Alpha staff that stopped to spend time analyzing the issue in various ways, not just SQL vs Access. They tested it thoroughly before drawing their final conclusion, and saved me a ton of time trying to figure out all kinds of ways to test what was causing the slow down. Yes, it has been my 100% experience, that Alpha pays attention to its users.
                              Carol King
                              Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
                              http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments Carol

For people interested in this topic here is the full thread. Scroll to the posting that selwyn made today please for some actual speed data from our testing

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...723#post600723

Thanks
                                Richard Rabins
                                Co Chairman
                                Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                                X