Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

App server stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: App server stops

Reed,

When the server stops, can you remote in to the server, start up task manager and look at the size of the app server in the "process" tab? What is the size in MB? In cetain applications, some of us have experienced the size of the WAS growing to the point that the WAS starts to get flaky, then stops functioning altogether. When that happens, the little green orb reamins green.

If there is a port conflict or other problem that forces the WAS to close, the orb would turn red.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thanks Pat. I am forced to run the whole Alpha software so that my linked reports work. However I will take a look at it the next time it stops. What can I do about it if it grows too large?
      Reed Brown
      ITOT Solutions, Inc.
      Alpha v12

Comment

Just thought I would add when the App server stops responding, the end user receives this error in their browser:

Error: 126(net: ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT)

I then re-start the App server and all is well. This can happen if clients are on line or not. Only stated about a month ago.
        Reed Brown
        ITOT Solutions, Inc.
        Alpha v12

Comment

Reed, you are really trickling out the details. That error problem will mean something to Lenny, it definitely is about OpenSSL, which Alpha uses. If it has been happening for a month, you might have mentioned it.

Also, if that error appears on the users browser, then it CANNOT be happening when no one is on the system. A client-side error dialog is indicative of that person being on the system at the time the error is generated.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, I have issued this bug to Alpha over a month ago with all the details. When I have a client call me and say the server is down again, I try to log on and that is the message I get or any client of mine that tries to log in.
            Reed Brown
            ITOT Solutions, Inc.
            Alpha v12

Comment

Reed, I just double checked and that error message is not in any of the communications I have received from you previously. You have my full attention on this matter, both here on the message board and through the direct emails we have exchanged. But I need you to give me ALL of the information regarding this problem if I am to be able to help you with it. Steve and I have both asked you very direct and specific questions, and you have only given non-specific and incomplete answers so far.

Regarding the ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT error:
              1. Are you (or your users) using Chrome as the browser when this error is seen?
              2. Are you absolutely certain that nothing is logged on the server when these errors are encountered?
              3. Is your SSL certificate self-signed or is it from a commercial vendor? If from a commercial vendor, which vendor is it from?
              4. I am still unclear on what you mean by the server stops. Via email you told me that you kill the process, so I know the process has not exited, but you did not answer my questions in full. Specifically, I asked, and still could benefit from the answers to: "Does the UI still respond? If there is a still a UI, does it show that the server is running, or that it has stopped?"

Additionally, you told me that you have both Keep-Alive and Gzip enabled. As a troubleshooting measure, could you please turn them off individually to see if either or both play a role in the problems?

Lenny Forziati
              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny,
                Thank you for your help in this matter. I have sent in a bug report over a month ago and I do not know why you cannot find it. Now on to your questions:

Are you (or your users) using Chrome as the browser? Answer: Some do some use IE 9
                Is your SSL certificate self-signed or is it from a commercial vendor? If from a commercial vendor, which vendor is it from? Answer: It is from Godaddy and has worked fine for many months until about a month ago.

I am still unclear on what you mean by the server stops. Via email you told me that you kill the process, so I know the process has not exited, but you did not answer my questions in full. Specifically, I asked, and still could benefit from the answers to: "Does the UI still respond? If there is a still a UI, does it show that the server is running, or that it has stopped?" Answer: When I say it stops, what I mean is no one can log into my app. I then have to stop and then re-start the app server and then all is well. Some times Alpha is completely hung and will not respond so I have to use the task manager to kill it.

Additionally, you told me that you have both Keep-Alive and Gzip enabled. As a troubleshooting measure, could you please turn them off individually to see if either or both play a role in the problems? Answer: I have it turned off now and am waiting to see what happens. For the last hour no problems.
                Reed Brown
                ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                Alpha v12

Comment

Originally posted by reedallenbrown View Post
                  Lenny,
                  Thank you for your help in this matter. I have sent in a bug report over a month ago and I do not know why you cannot find it. Now on to your questions:
                  The most recent bug we have from you was reported on 10/30/11 and was regarding grid filters. If you still have a copy of your bug report in your outbox, could you please
                  1. Verify that you sent it to [email protected] and did not get any type of failure notice.
                  2. Send it again to [email protected]. I will be sure to personally confirm the receipt of it when it comes through.

While this is a minor diversion from the problem itself, I would like to ensure that we do not have a problem receiving bug reports from you or any other customers.

Are you (or your users) using Chrome as the browser? Answer: Some do some use IE 9
                  Is your SSL certificate self-signed or is it from a commercial vendor? If from a commercial vendor, which vendor is it from? Answer: It is from Godaddy and has worked fine for many months until about a month ago.
                  What may have changed that could contribute to this problem? Did you apply an Alpha patch? Install Windows updates? Modify or republish your application?

I am still unclear on what you mean by the server stops. Via email you told me that you kill the process, so I know the process has not exited, but you did not answer my questions in full. Specifically, I asked, and still could benefit from the answers to: "Does the UI still respond? If there is a still a UI, does it show that the server is running, or that it has stopped?" Answer: When I say it stops, what I mean is no one can log into my app. I then have to stop and then re-start the app server and then all is well. Some times Alpha is completely hung and will not respond so I have to use the task manager to kill it.
                  Your answer implies that sometimes Alpha is still running and is not hung when you log into your server. In these cases, does the server show as stopped or running, and can you restart the server without exiting the process?

Additionally, you told me that you have both Keep-Alive and Gzip enabled. As a troubleshooting measure, could you please turn them off individually to see if either or both play a role in the problems? Answer: I have it turned off now and am waiting to see what happens. For the last hour no problems.
                  Which one did you turn off? In order to help identify the cause, we need to change only one variable at a time. If you turned them both off, please turn one back on and test.
                  Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

I am currently not on the computer that sent that bug report but when I return to California I will send it to you.

What may have changed that could contribute to this problem? Did you apply an Alpha patch? Install Windows updates? Modify or republish your application? Answer: Yes all Windows patches are updated. I republish my app all of the time. We have changes daily but only cosmetic ones.

Does the server show as stopped or running, and can you restart the server without exiting the process? Answer: In the task Mgr sometime it shows Alpha as not responding, however most of the time I just click on the App server icon in Alpha's program which is still Green by the way and restart it. If it does not work, then I close Alpha out and re-start it.

Which one did you turn off? In order to help identify the cause, we need to change only one variable at a time. If you turned them both off, please turn one back on and test. Answer: Sorry I turned them both off but will turn one back on as soon as it dies again.
                    Reed Brown
                    ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                    Alpha v12

Comment

Just a quick note to add: I was having issues with one of my Alpha Web Servers serving up browses that were locking, dragging and being non-responsive in many cases. This was only happening under SSL while connecting with Google Chrome. Browses with IE and FF worked fine. Was able to replicate the problem in various Chrome machine with and without extensions installed or running. All indications are that it is a Chrome specific SSL issue. (Server Specs: Windows 7, Comodo SSL)

SOLUTION: Tried turning off GZIP and Keep-Alive as recommended above. Looks like Keep-Alive was causing the problem.

Had 64 and 30 for the keep-alive settings. Not sure if this is the default or even appropriate values. A Reset-To-Default button on the Performance Tab might be handy in a future release.
                      Last edited by mswells78247; 03-06-2012, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Turning off GZIP and Keep-Alive seem to solve my problem. Thanks to everyone.
                        Reed Brown
                        ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                        Alpha v12

Comment

Hi,

Could someone explain the possible drawbacks of disabling GZIP and Keep-Alive in exchange for more stable performance? What exactly do these do?

Thanks.

Scott

Comment

Turning off GZIP and Keep-Alive seem to solve my problem. Thanks to everyone.
                            All I had to do was turn off Keep-Alive.

Comment

Turning off Keep-Alive will decrease the server's performance.

We have been actively investigating this issue and while disabling Keep-Alive is a viable temporary work-around, we do not consider it to be the solution. Anyone experiencing these SSL problems should contact me directly (len at alphasoftware.com) so that I can work with you on an ultimate solution.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

If I disabling Keep-Alive, my server stays up just fine. If I turn it back on I receive SSL errors.
                                Reed Brown
                                ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                                Alpha v12

Comment

Working...
                                X