Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Heads Up on New Feature Planned for Next Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heads Up on New Feature Planned for Next Update

Originally posted by forskare View Post
    I picked up a used Acer One 10", less than a year old. Is it possible to put the new Wiki documentation on it? That way I won't have to play hide and go seek between the documentation and A5. I already have A5 on two computers so putting A5 on it is not an option.

Thanks much,

kenn
    I don't think that's going to work. Why not get a second monitor? You can get a ~22in USB monitor (so you don't need a second [graphics] output port for about $130.

Another option that works nicely is to add this freebie: http://www.4t-niagara.com/tray.html
    Once you configure this nifty app, and change the help setup to modeless (settings) you can either roll it up & down, or minimize it to the taskbar notification area.) ~ 4T Tray minimizer even works in 64 bit windows nicely.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
      I don't think that's going to work. Why not get a second monitor? You can get a ~22in USB monitor (so you don't need a second [graphics] output port for about $130.
      Hi Robert,

I'm working from a 15" notebook because I need the portability. Is there any reason why the 10" Acer cannot act as a 2nd monitor? It was made on 5/15/11 so it's pretty up to date and wasn't used all that much/ It would give me a 2nd monitor with light weight portability. 2nd suggestion,

If I understand your 2nd suggestion, it wouldn't be a whole lot different than the way Wiki is set up now. More flexibility but still jumping back and forth. Got to check out your first suggestion.

Thanks very much for the idea.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

...I'm working from a 15" notebook because I need the portability. Is there any reason why the 10" Acer cannot act as a 2nd monitor? It was made on 5/15/11 so it's pretty up to date and wasn't used all that much/ It would give me a 2nd monitor with light weight portability.
        Hi Kenn;

I said no because you've already used your second install: (I already have A5 on two computers so putting A5 on it is not an option.) ~ How you could extend desktop to this second notebook, I don't know.....

As for the second option, it's not a lot different, but having it always there with just a quick click to full screen and back out of the way is second best option to extra monitor on one system. I'm doing everything on a 15.4 monitor. I almost purchased a second USB monitor [for reference] but didn't bother at the last moment. Ideally it's what I should have too.....

Here's another .99 cent idea if you have a tablet: http://lifehacker.com/5870378/use-yo...-your-computer
        (I'd go with ScreenSlider)

I use a couple of tools with a5:
        4t Tray Minimizer &
        Ditto clipboard (very good as a multi-clip clipboard tool)

PS: Sorry to "slide off topic." ~ This new offline help system is a godsend..... This feature in addition to the new "function picker" are both a huge benefit to "future X-basic coders" especially on the desktop side.
        Last edited by SNusa; 04-28-2012, 01:01 AM.
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
          I said no because you've already used your second install: (I already have A5 on two computers so putting A5 on it is not an option.) ~ How you could extend desktop to this second notebook, I don't know.....
          Could it be hooked up as a second monitor or will the OS get in the way? Just thought of that. Sure would be handy if they made the new Wiki a stand alone. It would be a great option for alot of folks. I'll check further tomorrow on your suggestions.

Appreciate it very much,

kennn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

OS get in the way?
            Here are a few options to get around this: http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...ter-s-display-
            (I've always read good things about MaxiVista.)

Comment

Yes, I found MaxiVista and this one as well, ZoneScreen (Free Software) - Convert laptop to 2nd Monitor - http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
              Then there is this sight which gives detailed written and pictorial instructions on converting a laptop monitor to a fixed monitor. http://www.instructables.com/id/Lapt...o-2nd-Monitor/ . This one is still experimental for Windows 7, they tell you what the issues are.

kenn

Comment

SERIOUS SUGGESTIONS/QUICK-FIXES: (To Turbo-Charge the new help feature!)
                • A way to merge two (2) saved lists.
                • Left & right buttons (placed just to the left of the tabs) to move from tab to tab.
                  Note: Existing forward/back buttons do not move relative to display order. Actually they don't do much of anything with saved lists, so there is no easy way to navigate from tab to tab.
                • Tab Sorting. (Possibly implemented within the "More Topics Menu.")
                • When selecting "More Topics" (from the drop-down) it would be beneficial to show the active tab highlighted within the list.
                • When displaying a saved list, the name of the saved lists should most certainly be displayed somewhere on screen.
                • Bring back the option to set local [cache] help as default.
                  Note: One of the things that has always been "a pain" [especially on wiki] is when searching for help using objects with "relative addresses." Using the local cache, there must be some way to get around this. ie: If initial search does not return results, then search only using the method/function without the relative object. (omit topparent., this., parentform., etc.)
                • One last "nice touch" suggestion: Be able to "double click on a specific word in the "Topic List" to do a search on that one specific word.

~None of these should be difficult to implement to an otherwise outstanding feature/help-tool!

A wildcard search, providing user the ability to (search for content exclusively within a users personal saved lists & favorites) would also be extremely powerful & beneficial. (Although this capability would presumably take some work to implement....)
                Last edited by SNusa; 05-01-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I am glad to see that Alpha Five is addressing the current difficulties around searching through the documentation. This appears to be an excellent tool to attack the problem.

It appears very cool! I like Kenn's about making this a standalone application to be able to run on a separate computer or even iPad.

Bravo Zulu

Comment

Bug (error returned) in new search feature when using "does not contain" in advanced search:

Snap 2012-05-01 at 23.04.35.png

Comment

.....Sure would be handy if they made the new Wiki a stand alone. It would be a great option for alot of folks. I'll check further tomorrow on your suggestions.
                      This can essentially be done with a program called Dexpot. (free for non business use) Dexpot creates multiple desktops and you can split help and the main a5 program onto two virtual desktops using it. Configure Dexpot to use the plugin "Taskbar Pager" and launch a5 in the second desktop.... (Be sure to set the new help system to "Modal" first.) ~ You can't drag the help to another desktop, but you can drag the main a5 window away from the new help tool back to the first desktop.! (same result, only "going backwards") ~Net result is you have two desktops to quickly flip between..... One with a5, and the other with the new cached help system. You can also use the "Desktop Windows" feature of the program (right click on Deskpot icon to select this from menu) to "drag the main a5 window into another "desktop" to separate the two.... Tons of features, works great!

Note: Enabling the Dexpot Desktop Manager (properly configured) also works nicely to switch between "desktops" as an alternate to the "Taskbar Pager" plugin. (All plugins are included right in the download, and Dexpot (portable) does not need administrative rights to run.) Works great in 64bit OS. (I'm using the portable version, no installation necessary!): http://dexpot.de/index.php?id=download

These three tools work great if you've only got one monitor to work with: Dexpot / 4t Tray Minimzer / & Ditto. (Ditto 64bit portable is a great "Multi-Clip" clipboard enhancer. I suppose notepad++ can be a time-saver too. (just no full support for Xbasic coding)

Comment

Thank you, Robert. I downloaded so now to give it a try.

kenn

Comment

Thank you, Robert. I downloaded so now to give it a try.

kenn
                          You're welcome Ken. FYI: If you try to drag from desktop 2 to desktop 1 via "Desktop Pager" (the included plugin feature) you might have to first move the help display window down a bit on the screen. (To be able to isolate/grab the main a5 window, and move it to a different desktop.) ~ Once you get setup, moving desktops around (setting them up) using the "Desktop Windows" feature might be easier.....

PS: The multi-desktop utility Dexpot v1.6 (beta) version looks like "da-bom!" (for usage w/alpha5, and everything else for that matter) ~ Waiting for portable version to try though!
                          Last edited by SNusa; 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...l=1#post609121

Even if all the above suggestions [see link above] are ignored for the new [& greatly improved] help feature... There is no TAB NAVIGATION to navigate open tabs sequentially from left to right / right to left. (Left & Right buttons work for history sequence, yet are not very useful otherwise.)

Note: The top right down button (more) does show all open tabs, but it doesn't display this info relative to actual tab position of open tabs. And since it doesn't provide the ability to sort the tabs either..... ~Enabling the left and right arrow keys to navigate tabs in logical [visually displayed] order would fix this!
                            Last edited by SNusa; 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

thanks. this (advanced search - does not contain operator) is fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
                                thanks. this (advanced search - does not contain operator) is fixed now.
                                This issue may be related:
                                Being able to use wildcards (*) in filter is great. (ie: *obj*get*)
                                BUT - If you try to use wildcards (*) (ie: try same search above) in full text search, a5 hangs/stops responding. Using the Windows task manager/ending task (to exit a5 and restart) is the only way out. (FYI: My help is set to modeless.)

Comment

Working...
                                X